how much can you really improve your flexibility

I pretty much agree with Shemhazai. Flexibility is overrated in my opinion, it doesn't prevent you from injury and doesn't make you much better at jiujitsu except in a few select positions (even for rubber guard you don't really need that much flexibility if you're doing it right).

I pretty much agree with Shemhazai. Flexibility is overrated in my opinion, it doesn't prevent you from injury and doesn't make you much better at jiujitsu except in a few select positions (even for rubber guard you don't really need that much flexibility if you're doing it right).

Really it doesnt help prevent injuries........GTFO you are a total moron

Ok, I entered this thread because I have problems being flexible in certain areas. Reading everyone's posts and arguments confused me a lot....

Ok, I entered this thread because I have problems being flexible in certain areas. Reading everyone's posts and arguments confused me a lot....

Stretch a lot, never stretch cold and never listen to anyone who says stretching isnt important. those are the three basic principals of eyerish to follow

Really it doesnt help prevent injuries........GTFO you are a total moron

Depends on the sport, in general not all fexibility is ok, back flexibility is VERY bad and joint loosening and stretching leads to a crappy old age.

There is no physical limit to flexibility, but the actual muscle lenght and joints, everyone can achieve contortionist level flexibility.

Tightness comes from the brain firing a reflex when a muscle is stretched into an unnatural position. Stretching aggresively only makes the brain confirm that the new position is bad.

In order to achieve full flexibility you need patiente and time, you cant force flexibility, you need to slowly stretch in a relaxed manner and enviroment, like yoga.

Depends on the sport, in general not all fexibility is ok, back flexibility is VERY bad and joint loosening and stretching leads to a crappy old age.

There is no physical limit to flexibility, but the actual muscle lenght and joints, everyone can achieve contortionist level flexibility.

Tightness comes from the brain firing a reflex when a muscle is stretched into an unnatural position. Stretching aggresively only makes the brain confirm that the new position is bad.

In order to achieve full flexibility you need patiente and time, you cant force flexibility, you need to slowly stretch in a relaxed manner and enviroment, like yoga.

So you're saying that an unlimited flexibility, which is possible based on some nervous system malfunction, which 99.99999% will never experience, is bad?

For everyone else, take some yoga classes. Flexibility as taught in those classes will help injury-proof your body.

Well put, Stretching is a lot like jiu jitsu its a marathon. Nobody wakes up and is suddenly like bravo or penn it takes time. proper technique and commitment

Already replied to this topic, but I wanted to add that I started yoga about a month ago and have noticed quite an improvement in my flexibility (and other things, including balance). If you can afford it, I absolutely recommend yoga classes -- it will make sure that you are stretching properly and not neglecting anything, which could lead to injury in BJJ as angles change and your body gets forced into different positions.

I'd highly recommend taking a few classes before doing the poses at home off a DVD or the internet -- yoga poses are easy to screw up, causing you to stretch something that you shouldn't (ie, your knee or lower back, instead of your hips). I know I wasn't doing even basic stretching "correctly", which was not leading to get maximum benefit.

I'd highly recommend taking a few classes before doing the poses at home off a DVD or the internet -- yoga poses are easy to screw up, causing you to stretch something that you shouldn't (ie, your knee or lower back, instead of your hips). I know I wasn't doing even basic stretching "correctly", which was not leading to get maximum benefit.

Exactly, when it comes to yoga\stretching the smallest detail is of the utmost importance and can make or break a position.

So you're saying that an unlimited flexibility, which is possible based on some nervous system malfunction, which 99.99999% will never experience, is bad?

Uh? all flexibility is based on the nervous system, take the most unflexible guy in the world drug him and he become Dhalsim. There is no such thing as "stretching" you are not stretching anything your muscles wont become longer.

Why its bad? because muscles and the stretch reflex are there for a reason, evolution doesnt takes shortcuts. The spine is the most common problem, if you have flexible erector spinae it will stop supporting the spine and your spine will start getting stretched (very very bad to have loose joints, any joint).

Other times overflexbility will have detrimental effects in power and may lead to injury, as a rule of thumb, more flexibility than you need is bad, be as flexible as you need but no more.

For everyone else, take some yoga classes. Flexibility as taught in those classes will help injury-proof your body.

Refrain from sarcastic comments if you didnt understood in the first place, go pick a book about kinesiology or physical rehabilitation.

Last edited:
My stertching improved dramitaclly by the dynamic stuff we do for warmup. I ued to do static stretching every day, but dynamic really, really helped out.

Uh? all flexibility is based on the nervous system, take the most unflexible guy in the world drug him and he become Dhalsim. There is no such thing as "stretching" you are not stretching anything your muscles wont become longer.

Why its bad? because muscles and the stretch reflex are there for a reason, evolution doesnt takes shortcuts. The spine is the most common problem, if you have flexible erector spinae it will stop supporting the spine and your spine will start getting stretched (very very bad to have loose joints, any joint).

Other times overflexbility will have detrimental effects in power and may lead to injury, as a rule of thumb, more flexibility than you need is bad, be as flexible as you need but no more.

Refrain from sarcastic comments if you didnt understood in the first place, go pick a book about kinesiology or physical rehabilitation.

You're right, I don't understand you. You're not really making sense. You're saying that extreme flexibility is bad for you, okay...I get it. The point is that targeted flexibility, as done through a regiment or a yoga class, is good for you. If you become TOO flexible and your goal is powerlifting then, yes, it's not the best for what you're trying to accomplish.

In terms of this thread, however, increased flexibility for those that are relatively inflexible is good. I'm not talking about stretching out some weird part of your body in some extreme way. Like you said, be as flexible as you need. Most people are less flexibile than they should be, especially grapplers.

I don't know anything about kinesiology or physical therapy. If you do, great (although I can tell that you don't teach it because you have a hard time explaining yourself). I do, however, practice yoga a lot and I've been training for 10 years. I can tell you that stretching like you'll find in a yoga class will improve your game and help injury-proof your body. So far my spine hasn't started flopping around. Let's not be pedantic.

I asked my ortho and he said it was true. When he does surgeries on people the only thing limiting their range of motion while sedated is skeletal limitations (arthritis, etc).

BTW after years of frustration PNF has been a godsend. I can get my knees on the ground in the lying butterfly stretch and it only took my 40 year old ass about two months to get there.

You're right, I don't understand you. You're not really making sense.

Yet other people understood real fine.

You're saying that extreme flexibility is bad for you, okay...I get it.

It doesnt needs to be extreme, simply more flexibility than you need is bad for performance, joint flexibility is bad for health.

The point is that targeted flexibility, as done through a regiment or a yoga class, is good for you. If you become TOO flexible and your goal is powerlifting then, yes, it's not the best for what you're trying to accomplish.

Some yoga positions involve joint flexibility which is detrimental to health, yoga flexibility may hinder or mess up your skill before a major event.

But the point being argued wasnt that, the point is that everyone has the potential for "contortionist" flexibility because its not a "hardware" issue its a "software" issue, a flexibly guy doesnt has longer muscles, he just has a better conditioned stretch reflex

In terms of this thread, however, increased flexibility for those that are relatively inflexible is good. I'm not talking about stretching out some weird part of your body in some extreme way. Like you said, be as flexible as you need. Most people are less flexibile than they should be, especially grapplers.

Then why the shot at the nerve disorder? when did i mentioned a nerve disorder?

Flexibility is directly linked to your nervous system because your brain is what dictates how flexible you are. That's why people who are KOd or killed drop like ragdolls, without a brain, the muscle is jello.

I don't know anything about kinesiology or physical therapy. If you do, great (although I can tell that you don't teach it because you have a hard time
explaining yourself).

No, i don't teach, but i understand the concept because i read and i have the capacity to do scientific bibliographic research.

I do, however, practice yoga a lot and I've been training for 10 years. I can tell you that stretching like you'll find in a yoga class will improve your game and help injury-proof your body. So far my spine hasn't started flopping around. Let's not be pedantic.

This doesnt invalidates what was said previously.

The way you stretch is almost as important if not more important than how often you do it. You have to stretch ferociously to improve flexibility.

Stretch at any time, all the time, and hard. By hard I mean don't stretch slowly and hold, this will not increase your flexibility when you want it, which is when you're training, rolling, and sparring. You need to stretch to your max point fast and repeatedly, pushing a bit more each time. If you wanna put your foot behind your head, grab your foot at any time during the day and just try and blast it behind your head.

Of course, don't yank once you've reached your max, you don't want to injure yourself. But just remember, if you pulled your muscle out of your body, it would be extremely flexible, by stretching your are training your brain to accept a new movement/position, not actually changing your muscle tissue.

holy shit I hope no one listened to this. you probably just fucked up so many people's knees from stretching their ligaments...you are shertarded

Either you dont stretch reglarly enough, or with enough intensity....Either way flexibility is a huge advantage in BJJ. Its a variable you can alter, so why not take every advantage you can get? Stretch hard and often

The way you stretch is almost as important if not more important than how often you do it. You have to stretch ferociously to improve flexibility.

Stretch at any time, all the time, and hard. By hard I mean don't stretch slowly and hold, this will not increase your flexibility when you want it, which is when you're training, rolling, and sparring. You need to stretch to your max point fast and repeatedly, pushing a bit more each time. If you wanna put your foot behind your head, grab your foot at any time during the day and just try and blast it behind your head.

Of course, don't yank once you've reached your max, you don't want to injure yourself. But just remember, if you pulled your muscle out of your body, it would be extremely flexible, by stretching your are training your brain to accept a new movement/position, not actually changing your muscle tissue.

i just tried to blast my foot behind my head and now im in extreme pain and may have injured myself. THANKS A LOT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back