How much calori surplus to build 2 lbs of muscle a month?

Kimura123

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm coming near the end of my fat losing phase and I want to know how much of a calorie surplus I will need to build 2 lbs of muscle each month while doing Strting Strength.

2lbs of muscle in a month?

I hate to sound like a misery tits, but it wont happen. Not unless you're either
A. A complete novice following a very good program with a diet prescribed by the nutrition Gods.
B. On teh juice.

Can you put on 2lbs of weight in a month? Yes, easily, will it be all muscle? no.

2lbs of muscle in a month?

I hate to sound like a misery tits, but it wont happen. Not unless you're either
A. A complete novice following a very good program with a diet prescribed by the nutrition Gods.
B. On teh juice.

Can you put on 2lbs of weight in a month? Yes, easily, will it be all muscle? no.

Yes, but I'm a novice.

Too many variables in the equation. Body type, weight, training intensity, program style, nutrition, genetics, rest.
Problem with most beginners, is they want it all faster than whats actually achievable naturally.
So many stupid fads, "6 minute abs" "30 second biceps" "gain 2lbs of solid lean muscle by eating this fruit".

Hard work, good nutrition, good rest, and you'll gain your muscle.

Anyways, maybe try a 10% surplus and see what happens. You don't want to get over fat, but be aware that you'll put on body fat regardless.

^but he's a novice

Two pounds of muscle directly equals about 3200 calories, but it really doesn't work like, "Eat 3200 extra calories in a month and you'll gain two pounds of muscle." Depending upon your macros intake, your exercise, and your rest, not to mention your genetics, you have to put a few things together to put on muscle.

And then if you want it to be lean mass gain, there's even more to consider. Gaining weight just for gaining weight's sake is pretty easy.

I don't think there is any use to trying to calculate how much muscle you can put on in a certain length of time. It's easier and more practical to focus on improving your gym performance i.e. move more weight, for more reps, more explosively, and/or with less rest between sets. If that improves and you eat well you will get in better shape and put on muscle.

Dammit, and here I thought we found the plural form of "calorus"

Rip: You need to drink one gallon of full fat milk everyday. It's almost mandatory.

Somebody from audience: I'm lactose intolerant, could I substitute yogurt for milk?

Rip: Gallon of yogurt.

Almost certain Rippetoe suggests something along the lines of a 1000 calorie surplus for novices in either Starting Strength or Practical Programming

6 cal/day surplus. 7 cal/day will make you fat as fuck and 5cal/day you will lose your gainz

I don't think there is any use to trying to calculate how much muscle you can put on in a certain length of time. It's easier and more practical to focus on improving your gym performance i.e. move more weight, for more reps, more explosively, and/or with less rest between sets. If that improves and you eat well you will get in better shape and put on muscle.

Not really how body building works.

2lbs of muscle in a month is not realistic.

Rip: You need to drink one gallon of full fat milk everyday. It's almost mandatory.

Somebody from audience: I'm lactose intolerant, could I substitute yogurt for milk?

Rip: Gallon of yogurt.

Almost certain Rippetoe suggests something along the lines of a 1000 calorie surplus for novices in either Starting Strength or Practical Programming

This shit is so ridiculous. Unless youre coming out of the holocaust and jumping into a heavy strength program it is totally unnecessary.

Back