How much better do you perform after getting into shape?

ILikeBread

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've recently lost quite a sum of weight. Down from about 232 in may to 188 currently. Though I'd still like to lose another 15 or so pounds.

Does the increased flexibility, explosiveness, and cardio that comes with losing weight and getting into better shape outweigh the fact that your are now easier to muscle around since you're so much lighter?

Is there anyone who has experienced grappling while in poor shape and then again while in good shape?

I'd answer the question myself but I haven't grappled for several months and it looks like it will be a little while before I do finally start up again.

Thanks.

Without grappling, gassing soon is still inevitable

HOWEVER, you will notice that (I went from 203 to 173 in 3 months so I would know) when you're drilling, you might "fly" from one position to the next when in your previous weight, you may have struggled just to move there

Without grappling, gassing soon is still inevitable

HOWEVER, you will notice that (I went from 203 to 173 in 3 months so I would know) when you're drilling, you might "fly" from one position to the next when in your previous weight, you may have struggled just to move there

I like what I'm hearing.

I know that improved cardio outside of BJJ will only take you so far inside BJJ. BJJ cardio is almost like an entirely different animal.

I like what I'm hearing.

I know that improved cardio outside of BJJ will only take you so far inside BJJ. BJJ cardio is almost like an entirely different animal.

No, its not, cardio is cardio and will carry over from one place to another.

Sport-specific muscle endurance carries partially and almost entirely when trained with movements that simulate the sport (like shrimping). The reason people think they gained BJJ cardio is mainly on the first years when they go from a spazzing whitebelt forcing themselves of poor positions and into a more technical fighter that conserves strength and its not always on the losing end.

I like what I'm hearing.

You might wanna find someone to workout on grappling drills for a while, they can be an intense workout and its going to help when you go back to BJJ since it is purpose built.

Is this the stupidest question of all time? if course you will perform better when in shape. thats why shape is shape and fat is fail

I don't know about the weight difference. I've never experienced a huge weight loss, but I have gone from terrible conditioning to great cardio. It makes a world of difference. When you don't gas out you can go harder than you did before and you can do it for a longer period of time. The difference that being in shape makes is massive.

I think there's more to "in shape" than body fat percentage. In general, though, I think being a physically fit human being is going to improve any physical and mental activity that you do.

When I smoked cigarettes, I was not able to train nearly as well as I was able to afterwards. When I was carrying furniture for a living, I was training and competing well because I was in awesome shape.

It is the difference between night and day. I feel like a completely different person/grappler when I'm shape. There is nothing worse than 1. knowing what you should be doing but cant because there is no gas in the tank or 2. not being able to move your body with fluidity because you're too tired.

I went from a spare tire kind of 190-200 to a big but not rippled 170-180. At that point I was probably at my ideal weight.

Had good energy speed and nice power. Great grappling cardio. But my standup cardio still was lacking. (Later decided that was a nervous system thing, and lack of experience "fear factor" thing)

So I decided to lose more. Also having watched and cornered quite a few ammy fights, I decided I would like to go from 170 to 155. Now I was around 175 averaging, so though I good weight would be to hover around 160.

I was, of course eyeballing those "little guys" thinking of how indestructible i'd be. Knowing how I was already overpowering most guys i rolled with prob 190 and down, I thought well, at 155 no one had any chance against me.

I am 5'10" with a strange frame, big head and hands, (huge, 7 3/4 head, ex large glove size over 9" hands) and big shoulder and elbows, but small, short waist and long bony legs.

Two months later I was around 160, made it easily, but I looked a little irvinlish at 185. Except I didn't even have his kind of definition. Sadly I looked and was, much less powerful. My overall cardio was better, but my grappling cardio was worse. My hand speed was maybe slightly better but I lost a ton of power, maybe even a little explosiveness. I also felt tired a lot.

I lost weight in a healthy good way, and have prob a much better diet than most amateurs. Looking back I may have overtrained a little, but I realize now that I gained little to nothing from dropping down from my natural weight.

I am now again around 180 and nearly everyone says it suits me much better.

I'm at about 205 right now, trying to get to my ideal weight (185) but before I was at about 220, I've noticed lately I gas alot less when training. I can also throw high kicks now which is always a good thing.

No, its not, cardio is cardio and will carry over from one place to another.

Sport-specific muscle endurance carries partially and almost entirely when trained with movements that simulate the sport (like shrimping). The reason people think they gained BJJ cardio is mainly on the first years when they go from a spazzing whitebelt forcing themselves of poor positions and into a more technical fighter that conserves strength and its not always on the losing end.
WTF are you talking about, like the saying goes, runners run, swimmers swim and fighters fight. The best cardio for BJJ is BJJ itself.:icon_surp

WTF are you talking about, like the saying goes, runners run, swimmers swim and fighters fight. The best cardio for BJJ is BJJ itself.:icon_surp

i agree with this. being a cardio machine running on treadmills versus being a cardio machine while rolling bjj is different indeed. they are related to an extent, but it does not necessarily correlate as stated by Rod1. it will help more than hurt that's for sure though.

I've recently lost quite a sum of weight. Down from about 232 in may to 188 currently. Though I'd still like to lose another 15 or so pounds.

Does the increased flexibility, explosiveness, and cardio that comes with losing weight and getting into better shape outweigh the fact that your are now easier to muscle around since you're so much lighter?

Is there anyone who has experienced grappling while in poor shape and then again while in good shape?

I'd answer the question myself but I haven't grappled for several months and it looks like it will be a little while before I do finally start up again.

Thanks.

Being in good shape only allows you to do what you trained to do more frequently, with more explosiveness and power, without gassing early.

If you're getting muscled around, your response shouldn't be to get bigger to muscle back, it should be to get more technical to counter it.

Not true at all, the better I get the more technique I use and the more technique I use the less tired I get. Whoever says you dont need cardio or strength for BJJ competition is uneducated.

Have you event he slightest idea of how a professional or olympic athlete trains?

i agree with this. being a cardio machine running on treadmills versus being a cardio machine while rolling bjj is different indeed. they are related to an extent, but it does not necessarily correlate as stated by Rod1. it will help more than hurt that's for sure though.

So you are simply tossing aside decades of sport science research? Conditioning an athlete to the maximum can't be done with just practicing the sport.

I mean, one would think the general population would know from Rocky movies but meh.

I have competed without being in shape, as I was a training partner for an MMA fight. I did well, but after 2 matches I was done.

When I am in shape, I am pretty hard to sub by purples and under. When I'm out of shape, blues can get me. aka now

I'm a really hard gainer for crdio =C

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is that no one's distinguishing between cardiovascular endurance (the ability of the heart to deliver oxygenated blood to the muscles) and muscular stamina (the ability of muscles to do work over a long time period). You can't necessarily train both sport-specifically in the same way. For BJJ running (or perhaps even better: swimming) intervals, or HIIT, will help with the "cardio," whereas something like rolling at 80% intensity for 5 minute rounds will help the sport-specific muscular endurance: but only if you're working hard.

Rod1 is a troll who is wrong about everything but keeps arguing his wrong opinions to no end because he has way too much time on his hands. That's why I put him on my ignore list, but unfortunately I can still see stuff that he writes when other people quote him

Back