How many years tops do u give until all UFC champs are...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Earthworm Jim, May 31, 2014.

1. Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim Banned Banned

...wrestlers?

Now let's see...
    Velasquez, wrestler! Jones, wrestler! Weidman, wrestler! Hendricks, wrestler!
    Have I made my point clear?

Seriously tho, we've all known for the longest time that wrestling is the most effective martial art that translates best into MMA.

How many years tops do u give until all champs are wrestlers, another 2 or maybe 3 years minimum?
    Or... Will it remain as it is forever, with the majority of champs coming from a wrestling background, albeit 1 or 2 champs being that classic striker/bjj achetype?

Wadya reckon?

2. fernandom

fernandom Purple Belt

Pettis and Aldo are the only ones left

3. Earthworm Jim

[​IMG]
    If I could shoop Pettis' & Aldo's faces into this pic, I would!

4. LoveHateLove

LoveHateLove Green Belt

Stupid thread, mma fighters are a mix of all skills now. Much more so than 5 to 10 years ago. Wrestlers also have standup boxing skills.

Hendrix and Cain are known for their boxing and power more so than their wrestling

5. Kanster

Kanster Guest

I think there will always be at least a couple of guys that don't have a wrestling background.

6. Earthworm Jim

NO!
    Hendrix is known for his mad guitar playing skills & the 'mix of all skills' u refer to had to start with a base... & that base is wrestling!

7. 5H3RD0G

5H3RD0G Silver Belt

They don't all have to be wrestlers but they better have some of the best stamina and TDD.

8. Dontevenguess93

Dontevenguess93 Brown Belt

The word wrestler doesn't encompass those guys' skill sets. They are far too well rounded and good in other areas. A wrestler would be like a bunch of Fitch or Askren type fighters being champs. Unless you are strictly talking about base.

I find base nowadays very irrelevant because guys who never wrestled a day in their life can join a good gym and have outstanding defensive wrestling, like Aldo or Barboza type guys. Vice versa, guys like Dillashaw and Mendes can develop very effective striking as well. It's a matter of athletic ability, camp, and dedication.

9. Junbo79

Junbo79 Blue Belt

Pretty sure the history of MMA has been a constant ebb and flow between strikers and wrestlers. Each is dominant until they are not.

If you are wondering if the time is now where wrestlers will be dominant until the end of time? They wont. Each one will fall, most likely to a striker.

10. Earthworm Jim

Interesting...
    Do u see strikers & wrestlers being comparable to the ying & yang?
    Just like day & night, when the moon eats the sun or whatever... We must be in the afternoon in terms of the MMA scene?

11. Earthworm Jim

If I could go back & rephrase in my thread 'wrestler' as 'wrestler base' then I would, as that's what I've been trying to refer to this whole time.
    Don't forget to mention GSP, considered one of the best wrestlers of all time in MMA who never had a wrestling base!

12. Dontevenguess93

Dontevenguess93 Brown Belt

Excellent point bro. That proves that anything can be attained.

13. JoeJohnston

JoeJohnston Purple Belt

Boxing? Please!!

14. BOTTICELLI

BOTTICELLI MMA Fanatical Sabbatical

Well put,

15. StedGoof

StedGoof Green Belt

considwein that wrestling is the base in a country of 300+ million, do the math and that math says wrestling can't be the best base.

16. Junbo79

Junbo79 Blue Belt

I wouldn't go that far but it doesn't take much more than common sense to come to the conclusion that it's baseless to say that one style will remain dominant over the others. Plenty of examples to choose from.

For every Jones there is a Cormier. For every Hendricks there is a Lawler.

17. Magnum1978

Magnum1978 Silver Belt

Wrestling is certainly the best base for MMA fighting... under the Unified Rules....

(in which the unbalanced rules and scoring method/judging criteria bias in favour of control/position advantage the fighter on top/going for takedowns considerably)

I've said for years, unless the rules or judging system is tweaked/improved then basically all the top guys in each division will be very high level wrestlers, with the difference between them being who does the remaining bit of submission grappling/striking better than the other very high level wrestler.

Under the Unified rules, certain styles are simply being killed from the game in favour of the prototypical wrestler/(kick)boxer that the Unified system is perfectly suited towards

18. Kneepocalypse

Kneepocalypse This is your god now.

Jones will lose to Gus. Weidman has tough tests ahead of him in Machida and Vitor. boom, 2 more possible non wrestler champs.

19. linvillegorge

linvillegorge Silver Belt

Those guys may have wrestling bases and come from a wrestling background, but they are far more than just wrestlers. They're all very well rounded fighters.

20. Earthworm Jim

Yes & when that day happens, guys like Fitch & Shields become dominant champs in the UFC, is that what u want?
    Although it's a style that should be preserved, the vast majority will not pay to see 'Lay & Pray' artists, period!