How many WMMA 135ers are actually 125ers and who would hold the 125 title?

The last girl who fought Penna looked very small

Miesha Tate says if there was a Flyweight division she would make the drop she does quite a bit of strength training to be a bigger Bantamweight.

A UFC WFly division could be very interesting at some point with the likes of both BWs & SWs jumping in the mix. Would be interesting to see someone like JoJed vs Miesha & see how JoJed would do against a larger opponent.

tate would be champ... eye is natural 125er too

would love to have a 125 w division

Joanna champion would move up and dominate.

Yes, Joanna has said that she hopes to move up to 125 (assuming a division is created).

I expect Justine Kish would prefer to fight at 125 as well.

This is a good point, a lot of girls currently forcing themselves down to 115 would probably be better off at 125 anyway. I could see

Letourneau

I think Letourneau's first UFC fight was at bantamweight. Her one other UFC fight was strawweight.

Most of them have fought at 125lbs. That's the reason Dana doesn't want any more weight classes. 125 kills the 135lbs division and 145 means Cyborg.

The UFC will never create a 125 pound woman's division for as long as Ronda is active.

There would be no one left at 135 except for Ronda.

Most women would be better off if they dropped 10 pounds.

My hate for you is like a volcano of snakes.

1-toxic-hate.gif

Almost all the top Flyweights signed by the UFC quickly bulked up in muscle mass to become true Bantamweights (Zingano, Eye, etc) and found success in their new division. The rest couldn't evolve fast enough and have already washed out after a string of losses to bigger opponents (Gaff, Sexton, etc).

None of the current top-ranked BWs can be called "actual 125ers" like this thread title asked, and they regularly cuts 15-20 pounds of water weight for their BW fights. If dropping back down to FLW, they would have to go through a serious diet regime to lose those muscles.

A UFC WFly division could be very interesting at some point with the likes of both BWs & SWs jumping in the mix. Would be interesting to see someone like JoJed vs Miesha & see how JoJed would do against a larger opponent.
I imagine it will be quite some time before the UFC would be interested in making that division though. Just isn't enough depth in both 115 and 135 right now to be able to afford to lose a handful of fighters from both weight classes.

I imagine it will be quite some time before the UFC would be interested in making that division though. Just isn't enough depth in both 115 and 135 right now to be able to afford to lose a handful of fighters from both weight classes.

Agreed. Was just saying it could be interesting at some point :)
& you know Barb would be in the mix too.

Almost all the top Flyweights signed by the UFC quickly bulked up in muscle mass to become true Bantamweights (Zingano, Eye, etc) and found success in their new division. The rest couldn't evolve fast enough and have already washed out after a string of losses to bigger opponents (Gaff, Sexton, etc).

None of the current top-ranked BWs can be called "actual 125ers" like this thread title asked. For that weightclass drop, they would have to go through a serious diet regime to lose those muscles.

Andrade seems to be an exception. Someone here who apparently trains with or at least in the same gym as her posted that she only cuts 3-4 lbs to make BW these days, after deciding the experimental bulk up to 146 wasn't for her.

I guess top 15 might not qualify as 'top-ranked' though.

Andrade seems to be an exception. Someone here who apparently trains with or at least in the same gym as her posted that she only cuts 3-4 lbs to make BW these days, after deciding the experimental bulk up to 146 wasn't for her.

I guess top 15 might not qualify as 'top-ranked' though.

Lil' Andrade has some leeway so far since they like pairing her with TUF'ers, but man, if Reneau and Carmouche can already overpower her, people like Zingano or McMann would ragdoll that little body.

With Contenders in short supply, Andrade gonna get to play with the big girls real soon, whether she's ready or not.

Cat walks around at around 155 now, she would have to drop muscle to get back to 125 ala Cyborg coming down to 135. Rousey could drop as easily as current Cat could.

Girls could probably make 125 without too much trouble -

Tate
Eye
Davis seems pretty small to me
Andrade for sure, 100 percent
Pena (yeah might seem weird to some but it's apparently so)
Nakai probably
possibly McMann, strange as that might sound again
possibly Carmouche
Bethe probably

So a lot of them, but Ronda could probably make 125 too if she lost some fat and put her mind to it.

Ronda can probably make 125 as is with little to no effort if she chose to. She's not that big.

Great thread idea
I wondered it myself

Ronda can probably make 125 as is with little to no effort if she chose to. She's not that big.

Now, could she make it? Perhaps. I have no idea.
After all Rumble somehow made 170 a few times, so I'm not going to say Rousey cannot make 125.

But "with little to no effort" sounds ludicrous:
she started fighting mma at 145, and she was fighting in judo at 63 kilos (139 pounds) when she was, like, 18-19 (in 2007 she was fighting at 70 kilos, granted she looked quite "thick" at 70 kilos, but still...).

If Ronda were able to make "125 with little to no effort", one would have to conclude that Miesha could almost make 115, like 118.

Now, could she make it? Perhaps. I have no idea.
After all Rumble somehow made 170 a few times, so I'm not going to say Rousey cannot make 125.

But "with little to no effort" sounds ludicrous:
she started fighting mma at 145, and she was fighting in judo at 63 kilos (139 pounds) when she was, like, 18-19 (in 2007 she was fighting at 70 kilos, granted she looked quite "thick" at 70 kilos, but still...).

If Ronda were able to make "125 with little to no effort", one would have to conclude that Miesha could almost make 115, like 118.

Well, Cyborg is walking around at 175 and making a 30 pound cut to fight at 145.
Rousey walks around at 155 and makes a 20 pound cut to 135.

So figure Rousey making a 30 pound cut to 125 would be difficult, but not impossible if she sheds 5-10 pounds of muscle. Not inconceivable since she has considerable muscle mass in her back, core and legs.

Back