How many rounds do you train at the end of class?

zlevflnuggets

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How many rounds does your school usually have you train at the end of class and how many minutes in each round? At ATT Coconut Creek we usually have three to four rounds each being 5-6 minutes long and by the end of that I usually can hardly tie my belt.

We have about 7-8 five minute rounds after class. I usually never sit out. After class, I'll spar or drill for awhile as well.

We don't do technique/fundamentals and rolling in the same class, we do one or the other. Sparring classes are an hour long. Anywhere from 5-10 minute rounds, but 7 is the most common. Maybe 30-60 second break between rounds - however long it takes to grab a sip of water and a new partner. So I guess 5-9 rounds after warm up, but its an hour regardless.

People from other schools usually compliment us for being "in shape" when they drop in for a visit. Probably because they're used to 20-30 minutes of sparring after a fundamentals class instead of going an hour straight. The bigger guys or the more casual/recreational practitioners think it's funny because they don't consider themselves to be athletic at all, they're just used to it.

A few of us usually stick around after to drill a few things and do a proper cool down/stretch.

We don't do technique/fundamentals and rolling in the same class, we do one or the other. Sparring classes are an hour long. Anywhere from 5-10 minute rounds, but 7 is the most common. Maybe 30-60 second break between rounds - however long it takes to grab a sip of water and a new partner. So I guess 5-9 rounds after warm up, but its an hour regardless.

People from other schools usually compliment us for being "in shape" when they drop in for a visit. Probably because they're used to 20-30 minutes of sparring after a fundamentals class instead of going an hour straight. The bigger guys or the more casual/recreational practitioners think it's funny because they don't consider themselves to be athletic at all, they're just used to it.

A few of us usually stick around after to drill a few things and do a proper cool down/stretch.

Damn dude you must eat a bucket of pasta every day for lunch. Props on being able to keep up with that regimen though.

I only train in boxing so this may not apply but I'll post anyway. After class, I spar with three guys for 3-3 minute rounds in full head gear. Then hit the heavy bag for 15 mins and spar again with a guy in my gym named "Doughbag". He is basically a fat guy that can take a punch better than Cabbage. I'm a HW Amateur Boxer with decent skills and I've never come close to hurting him. when class ends the work is not done.

^ It's really not that hard. We have 4 sparring classes a week (and one half-hour nogi), and even the 2 class/week guys don't sit out rounds. You learn to pace yourself at first, but quite a few of us are pretty competitive so it doesn't always work out that way.

My instructor says he does it this way to minimize injury. He thinks having a day to recover between sparring sessions is better than sparring at the end of every class - especially for the guys who go every day. I actually agree and prefer it this way.

^ It's really not that hard. We have 4 sparring classes a week (and one half-hour nogi), and even the 2 class/week guys don't sit out rounds. You learn to pace yourself at first, but quite a few of us are pretty competitive so it doesn't always work out that way.

My instructor says he does it this way to minimize injury. He thinks having a day to recover between sparring sessions is better than sparring at the end of every class - especially for the guys who go every day. I actually agree and prefer it this way.

I've been Boxing since I was 16 (12 years), I do it for fun and I train 4 days a week, sparring 3 days. My body can handle the strain only because I've done it for so long and my sparring partners are mediocre just like me. I'm no pro boxer by any means but I love hitting and being hit.

I typically go around 4-5 rounds of 5 minutes a piece. Then 2 days a week we usually do some circuit conditioning rounds after that for 2 rounds of about 5-6 minutes. That's more of a time permitting thing. If class is going too late I just can't get to sleep after that to wake up for work in the morning.

our class structure is different... timed rounds are usually specific/positional sparring and then 30min of open mat following that

i roll for an hour before class most nights, sometimes working specific things sometimes just sparring & usually do 20min after class as well

I typically go around 4-5 rounds of 5 minutes a piece.

I think we do 6 min. rounds, but this is about my routine. We generally do positional sparring during class though, so I get a good bit of work in. After sparring I've been trying to drill more.

I usually roll 6-8 rounds (5 minutes each)

I think it's important to keep rolling and not take a break or a roll off.

We split into technique days and sparring days.

On technique days, I'll probably get anywhere from one to three 5 minute rounds in.

On sparring days, we do 4 minute rounds (by clock) with 30 seconds between each round for an entire hour. We shift around groups of partners after everyone has had a roll "round robin" style in each group. With the pauses for water and resorting groups, we all get around 10 rounds each. Sometimes, if I didn't get to go with a guy that I like rolling with, I'll stay after for another round or two....mostly not though, because I do judo classes before the sparring class.

We have slightly longer rounds at the place im out. We have 3-4 10 min rounds. It gets really tiring when you go against someone who completely destroys you and your just trying to play defense.

We do four 7 minute rounds at the end of class.

Anywhere between 3 to 10 rounds of 4-7 minutes. 5 or 6 five minute rounds are by far the most common.

They start the 5 minute time at 8 usually and turn it off at 9. You don't have to roll if you don't want to. I usually roll about 5-7 rounds.

my class is drills/technique on 3 days a week and rolling twice a week(1 gi 1 no gi)
we use a round timer i think they are 5 min rounds

7 mins down 7 mins up 7 mins just rolling and switch partner usually x 3 then one last round of rolling for how many mintues are left in class .

I always do a minimum of four 7min rounds. This way I can be ready for tournaments and not gas during a match. When I roll with lower belts (white & blue) I always ask if they mind doing 7min rnds and they almost always dont care. If they do (rarely happens) its usually because their tired, I'll just do an extra round to make up for the shorter round. When most people roll at my school they do 5min or 6min rounds.

Back