How many push ups are enough depending on your goals?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Akkush, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Akkush

Akkush White Belt

Hi there!

I do 3 sets of push ups until failure, my first set is (so it's the max. that I can do in a row) 50, then the secound is something like 35, then 30.

Of course I would like to do more and more push ups, but where should I stop, and concentrate more on like explosiveness (clap pushups), or do it a harder way (handstanding, one armed).

I mean, if you do a combatsport, and you do some weightlifting, I think you don't go up to 200kg with bench press, becouse it doesn't help you much in the specific sport.

So how many is enough with push ups, 50, 75, or 100?

Thank you for the help!
    (sorry for my english)

2. puppybird

puppybird the wasteland champ

Look up Charles Bronson (not the actor)

3. magick

magick Green Belt

About 30-40.

4. Tosa

Tosa Red Belt

It's about at what point would you be better served by directing that time and effort towards training other things. More push-ups is always better, but pretty quickly, the effort to get better at push-ups would be better directed to strength, power or conditioning. Or, said differently, it's about figuring out what, given a finite amount of time and effort to put into training, will make you as competitive as you can be.

5. iGnP

iGnP Silver Belt

A reporter once asked [Muhammad] Ali – “How many sit ups you do?”, To which he replied – “I don’t know, I don’t count my sit ups. I start counting when it hurts and I feel pain, because those are what really count and makes you a champion. “

same principle applies to push ups ;)