How many push-ups and pull ups can you do in one sitting?

Surely you're joking right? 15 pullups should be nothing for someone who's fit.

Well what kind of pull ups. The wimpy ones or the far wide grip ones.

Cause one is much harder to do than the other.

I think a lot of people mistaken chin ups for pull ups.

Body weight has a lot to do with it....When I was in High School I weighed 155lbs and set a few school fitness records. I tied with another kid with 112 push ups. That record has stood since 1988, name is still on board in Gym. I was 3rd in strict form pull ups with 27. I just recently lost 20lbs after getting up to 210. I realized I couldn’t really even do Monkey bars, and running was a chore. Now everything is way easier.

Push ups as many as I want, maybe max out at 500 or so.

I did 200 pull ups in a "sitting" recently but it took me 3 hours lol.

Well what kind of pull ups. The wimpy ones or the far wide grip ones.

Cause one is much harder to do than the other.

I agree...15 wide grip pull ups are more taxing than doing them standard shoulder width grip.

But...15 pull ups (regardless of grip) isn't something anyone who is truly physically fit should consider difficult by any stretch unless you're doing them with an eccentric focus (slowly going down).

I agree...15 wide grip pull ups are more taxing than doing them standard shoulder width grip.

But...15 pull ups (regardless of grip) isn't something anyone who is truly physically fit should consider difficult by any stretch unless you're doing them with an eccentric focus (slowly going down).

I see jacked dudes at the gym who can't do 8 of them.

And I edited my post because some people call chin-ups pull ups.

I see jacked dudes at the gym who can't do 8 of them.

And I edited my post because some people call chin-ups pull ups.

If it ain't overhand grip, its not a pull up IMO.

And yea there's plenty of jacked dudes who can't do pull ups. Why? Because they've trained for static lifts and isolation movements which is the opposite of a compound movement like a pull up.

And that's not a knock against dedicated weight lifters (its good to increase raw strength) but what good is being able to bench 350 if you can't even carry the weight of your own body which would serve you far better overall.

How did any of you pass the sherdog physical? You have to be able to do 1000 in a sitting, 3 sets, no rest. Which is what I can do.
I know. I mean wtf, the sherdog Mod's are just letting the standards go to shit around here now. We used to have a better class of people.

Pay attention to Thor's form and all the NO's for bad form and report back

Depends what you mean in one sitting. Should be time limited instead. 1 hour. Total pushups and total pull-ups. Throw in some air squats and you created a silly CrossFit WOD....

I can do 31 proper military push ups. Chin to floor with full extension arms locked at the top. No droopy back.

I can do maybe 50 push-ups and 13 pull-ups witch might be chin-ups
But I haven’t tried anything in maybe 8 months and I am to sleepy to test myself now

I'm a dad. I can hit 100 push-ups with out stopping. Could do more...Maybe but I get bad at counting after that.

I can do 15 pullups in one go. If I'm really doing well I can hit 17, but this is at parks
Where I'm using monkey bars or the side of a slide. A real pullup bar?

I can do 32 pull ups. Is that good? I'm 195 lbs.

I don't believe the TS did 15 pull ups in one shot with good form.

And what pull-ups are you talking about. Wide grip, overhand, underhand.

Wide grip I know you didn't do 15 in one shot.
I think a lot of body weight exercises are just about repetition to increase your numbers. I've done pullups and pushups consistently since i was in middle school.
I usually do pullups at the start of my workout. I'll do a set of 30, then 20, then 10.
But any time ive had to take off time from exercising from an injury or something, or just being on vacation, i never hit those numbers until a couple weeks later after ive built back up to it.

My workouts are almost entirely body weight though, so im not tiring myself out with other exercises. I don't even know what i can bench, but my guess would be it would be a pretty lackluster number

Shit, now? Barely any

I could do a little over 100 push ups in 2 minutes a couple of years ago. I’m an out of shape bum now

I think a lot of body weight exercises are just about repetition to increase your numbers. I've done pullups and pushups consistently since i was in middle school.
I usually do pullups at the start of my workout. I'll do a set of 30, then 20, then 10.
But any time ive had to take off time from exercising from an injury or something, or just being on vacation, i never hit those numbers until a couple weeks later after ive built back up to it.

My workouts are almost entirely body weight though, so im not tiring myself out with other exercises. I don't even know what i can bench, but my guess would be it would be a pretty lackluster number

Honestly I'v not really a serious workout person at all and I tend to just go with a single held pullup for around 25 secs, I'v found that maintains decent build when I'm not otherwise doing serious physical labour much. Maybe its poor form but I find whilst I can do a few pullups they tend to leave me with forearm strains where as holding one I can feel it working my shoulders/back far more. The single held pullup I can do twice a day without any issues.

I actually find squats a lot easier due to having quite short large legs(always done a lot of walking, was a sprinter in my school days), 20 of those a couple of times a day never gives me any muscle soreness.

Last edited:
How did any of you pass the sherdog physical? You have to be able to do 1000 in a sitting, 3 sets, no rest. Which is what I can do.
We are like the FBI but with stricter recruitment policies related to helmet and shaft aesthetics

Probably ten and zero.

But those 10 push-ups are impressive because I’m pushing the 285.

Except your feet are on the ground because it's not a handstand pushup, sooo you're pushing maybe 142.5, less as you push upwards.

50 push-ups and 12 pull ups a set, booth with full ROM. Can do same again after 60 sec rest at least 3 sets.

After 20 push-ups and a few pull ups the fitness increase to get higher numbers decreases. The initial thing is more impressive, and useful.

Back