how many people try to make people miss

holding someone while you're hurt isnt a pussy move... wow. its like saying going for a takedown if you're rocked is a pussy move. its only smart. OR SIDEKICKING/PUSH KICKING SOMEONE when you're getting rushed.

and to the ts.... in mma... alot of these guys suck shit at boxing. alot of fighters think sticking your elbows up is a good def... know what i mean? thats why you dont see alot of headmovement, slick foot work, and nice counter punching.

I'm big on making people miss, thats when you can land some of your cleanest and hardest shots.

yup. headmovement is the ultimate way to knock someone clean. if you're blocking or catching punches... you're arm isnt free to punch back. now with head movement.... POW!!!!!

a few good boxers in mma come to mind... but a very few.

holding someone while you're hurt isnt a pussy move... wow. its like saying going for a takedown if you're rocked is a pussy move. its only smart. OR SIDEKICKING/PUSH KICKING SOMEONE when you're getting rushed.

and to the ts.... in mma... alot of these guys suck shit at boxing. alot of fighters think sticking your elbows up is a good def... know what i mean? thats why you dont see alot of headmovement, slick foot work, and nice counter punching.

Hey chino,

The way I see it, it's not the same thing because in mma going for the takedown is a valid move. Last I heard in boxing holding on to someones arm for dear life wasn't, hence the reason they were broken apart and also for my statement. Am I wrong on the ruleset?

Last edited:
Funny thing for me is, I come from a wrestling background (15 years) and everytime I spar, I spend too much time slipping, I also never close the distance. I slip then retreat. Apparently for a short fat ass, I slip pretty well.

as a tma guy, its frustrating fighting a guy who marches forward and can absorb shots...someone who applies pressure. It throws you off. For example, when I spar with TMA guys, they don't want to get hit. My friend (JKD) told me its hard to get inside because he has to respect my kicks. Respect is the key word. TMA guys depend on their opponents to respect their attacks ie back away. If you don't back away and apply pressure, most collapse.

For example, if i feel pressure from my friend in a sparring match, all i need to do is fake a kick and he will jump back. This gives me time to gather myself. Now what if I fake that same kick and he doesn't give a shit? He continues forward? Unless I have an inside game, im fucked.

as a tma guy, its frustrating fighting a guy who marches forward and can absorb shots...someone who applies pressure. It throws you off. For example, when I spar with TMA guys, they don't want to get hit. My friend (JKD) told me its hard to get inside because he has to respect my kicks. Respect is the key word. TMA guys depend on their opponents to respect their attacks ie back away. If you don't back away and apply pressure, most collapse.

For example, if i feel pressure from my friend in a sparring match, all i need to do is fake a kick and he will jump back. This gives me time to gather myself. Now what if I fake that same kick and he doesn't give a shit? He continues forward? Unless I have an inside game, im fucked.

Kick harder and cross. Circle out and away. Its not just a TMA thing either, watch Mayweather V Hatton or Ali V Frasier or Tyson V Lewis. When your opponent realizes that you're faster, slicker, smoother, and more agile he'll just try to close the gap to negate your superior prowess making the fight a classic "Brawler (or Puncher) vs Boxer." If your sparring someone who's not respecting your shots, increase the power until they do. Do not give them the false confidence of toughness and durability when they should be improving their defense and timing.

Hey chino,

The way I see it, it's not the same thing because in mma going for the takedown is a valid move. Last I heard in boxing holding on to someones arm for dear life wasn't, hence the reason they were broken apart and also for my statement. Am I wrong on the ruleset?

its not against the rules. its at the refs discretion. fighters are allowed to hold. its up to the ref to determine if its excessive or not.

yup. headmovement is the ultimate way to knock someone clean. if you're blocking or catching punches... you're arm isnt free to punch back. now with head movement.... POW!!!!!

a few good boxers in mma come to mind... but a very few.

My favourite is when i can anticipate a guy throwing the ol 1-2-3.
Parry/slip the one , short roll under the 2 ...and BANG....my left hook slams into his face as he's rotating his LH into me !

Hee-Hee ....i dont hit hard , i just let him slam into my fist.....LOVE that impact. You know , in a fight , he would be going down.

:icon_twis

I'm disappointed Machida doesn't use Shotokan blocks in his fights. Though they aren't technically blocks...still, it would only help Machida to be able to pull a guy in with a good block so that he can land that punch while the guy's face is still moving towards him. BAM!

Hey chino,

it's legal to hold with one arm and continue fighting. it's legal to clinch up and seperate or clinch up and fight out of with two arms but not stay in that position like someone said at the refs discretion.

Kick harder and cross. Circle out and away. Its not just a TMA thing either, watch Mayweather V Hatton or Ali V Frasier or Tyson V Lewis. When your opponent realizes that you're faster, slicker, smoother, and more agile he'll just try to close the gap to negate your superior prowess making the fight a classic "Brawler (or Puncher) vs Boxer." If your sparring someone who's not respecting your shots, increase the power until they do. Do not give them the false confidence of toughness and durability when they should be improving their defense and timing.

point

its not against the rules. its at the refs discretion. fighters are allowed to hold. its up to the ref to determine if its excessive or not.

it's legal to hold with one arm and continue fighting. it's legal to clinch up and seperate or clinch up and fight out of with two arms but not stay in that position like someone said at the refs discretion.

Well technically, it is prohibited in the rules (Marquess of Queensbury), the only reason that refs have varying degrees of enforcement I because they won't get many fights if they're constantly interfering in matches where the fans just want to see them fight.

This can be validated if you look it up...it's prohibited. Boxing was never meant to be a hold and hit sort of thing. I realize that in the grand scheme of things it happens, guys get tired, etc. But if I remember correctly wasn't Floyd holding on to Mosley's arm with one or both of his own arms--for the sole purpose of trying to recuperate from a shot and not get another shot that would put him down? It's obvious he wasn't tired, so then why do it?

All in all though...it's probably not that big of deal. It's also irrelevant to the thread.

Last edited:
My good friend trained in boxing for 3 years before he started muay thai and all he does is wait for you to swing at him while he uses his head movement to counter you I don't see anyone at my gym who fights like him so thats why he does so good people don't know what to do.

My good friend trained in boxing for 3 years before he started muay thai and all he does is wait for you to swing at him while he uses his head movement to counter you I don't see anyone at my gym who fights like him so thats why he does so good people don't know what to do.

exactly my point, noone is used to or comfortable w/sparring or fighting a guy who is intent on making you miss, parrying, blocking, or countering your shots; everyone is comfortable w/guys asserting themselves offensively, but noone seems comfortable fighting/sparring a person who is seeking to do the opposite.

basically people are used to cookie cutter sparring w/cookie cutter partners; i.e. people who are all doing the same thing, the same way and as a result aren't having to expand their range of techniques or their strategies because all the people they face don't give them anything diff.

being well rounded isn't just knowing how to do everything, its knowing what to do against any and everything that is presented to you; an if noone counters, defends, evades then you won't know how to adjust your game when an opp presents you w/these problems.

I remember how the person evades after a couple of test shots and then I make sure my follow up shot lands where their head/body is going to be. :icon_twis

BWAHAHAHAHA!

Back