How many people that mock tapping to strikes...

Rigondeaux quit vs Lomachenko and people gave him tons of shit when he did it.

i can see both sides. i can see how people will be like "he doesn't have the heart" but on the other hand if he knew himself that there was no way to win for him, there's no honor in walking into a slaughter.

there's a difference in quitting because you don't like the way the fight is going and quitting when you come to the realization that your opponent is simply better than you and you cannot defeat them. fighters shouldn't quit when the going gets tough, but they also shouldn't needlessly take beatings when they know they can't win.
Agreed, still pretty disappointed though, was expecting that to be the greatest match up of pure skill I would ever get to witness in my 30 plus years as a Boxing fan but after the first it became more and more of a 1 sided routing.

I couldn't believe it when Rigo said "no mas". If a man of his experience and skill felt he was completely over matched and lost all hope of finding an answer too the Lomo puzzle to the point he was willing to give up his undefeated record instead of continuing in a fight he saw as hopeless I tend to believe he did the right thing and knows better than the people calling him a pussy from the comfort of their lazyboy and it didn't make me any less of a fan.

I have. Still. Any fighter with minimum amount of balls (or even female fighter) would get dropped/KOed rather than tap to strikes lmao.

I'd say tapping to strikes is ONLY legitimate in the case of a Rory MacDonald in Lawler fight, where his face was starting to come off and he pretty much tapped to strikes. And that's 1 out of 1000 cases.
So what you're saying is tapping when you're caught in a harmless choke instead of going to sleep shows "balls" but tapping when you are trapped and getting your head smashed in potentially suffering life altering trauma is something only someone with no balls would do?

Can you seriously say this isn't a ridiculous opinion? A better question still is what would you do in these two scenarios... Would you be more likely to tap to a harmless choke or while you're being elbowed into unconsciousness while trapped in a crucifix you know you can't escape?

Don't bother answering dude, obviously this is a rhetorical question and we all know what your answer would be in reality.

it is disparaging. Machida finds it extremely dishonorable to tap period.

Here is a link to an interview with UFC fighter who disagrees with the journalist on this. He clearly states tapping to strikes is worse than going fetal.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2017...trikes-and-the-things-that-only-fighters-know

Downes: First off, I’m going to totally disagree with you on the tapping to strikes comment. Does going “full fetal,” as you put it, end up being a type of de facto tapout? Yes it does. Is it the same as tapping to strikes? Absolutely not.

When you just stop answering your girlfriend’s texts, that’s de facto breaking up. When you look her in the eye and tell her it’s over, that’s something different. The result is the same, but one takes more courage.

I’m not going to say that it doesn’t cross the line, but I don’t think you realize the implications of what you’re asking. You’re essentially trying to change the nature of MMA. This might come as a shock to you Ben, but there’s no logical, objective reason to fight someone in a cage for money. I’ll try to put in terms you may understand: There’s also no logical, objective reason to put a helmet on and hit someone carrying an oblong-shaped ball.

American football and MMA are inherently violent sports. Especially in MMA, the violence is the key component. All these attempts to put the onus on referees, cornermen and fighters, themselves to avoid uncomfortably violent or tragic outcomes may seem like a noble pursuit, but I don’t think it is. How much of this is an attempt to make ourselves feel better about watching young men and women concuss themselves? I’m not a brute; I thought Melendez should have quit earlier!

Furthermore, if we were to take your criteria to its logical conclusion, that would make Bob Sapp the smartest fighter in MMA history. Facing any resistance? Quit. Down on the scorecards and going to lose? Don’t even finish the fight. Why test yourself when you can give up!?

You flippantly dismiss the idea of proving your toughness, but it’s something that matters. Being tough on the practice mat doesn’t mean anything. There is nothing at stake. Who cares if you’re supposed to spar five rounds and you stop after three? Your coaches may not be happy and you might even piss off a sparring partner or two, but there’s always the next sparring day.

When you’re standing in the middle of the cage in front of thousands of people as it’s being broadcast on national television, the stakes are much different. Character and strength isn’t what you do when things are going well; it’s what you do when times are tough.

Yeah still no evidence of any fighters disparaging fighters "tapping to strikes"

I cant imagine anyone whos actually fought saying something so silly.

Same idiots who would rather lose an arm then tap and not have a career.

Yeah still no evidence of any fighters disparaging fighters "tapping to strikes"

I cant imagine anyone whos actually fought saying something so silly.

I just gave you a link where a fighter does that

Chuck Liddell doesn’t approve, as shown by him mocking Tito on TUF for tapping due to strikes in the past, and that’s kind of started some jokes from fans. A bit of a parody ever since, although I’m sure the shtick has been around a lot longer than that.

I could see how it seems a bit cowardly I guess, but if you know you’re stuck or spent and can’t do anything but take punishment, career longevity and long term health has to be considered at some point. Some MMA icons have tapped to strikes in their careers, so what about them? Are they cowards compared to your average every day tough guy that would NEVER do such a thing?! I wouldn’t think so haha.

Matt-Serra-vs-GSP-Knockout-GIF-TKO.gif
This is probably the only tapping to strikes that bothers me. Even Shogun's was more of an acknowledgement of a tough loss to a tough fighter - he tapped after the referee intervened.

This is probably the only tapping to strikes that bothers me. Even Shogun's was more of an acknowledgement of a tough loss to a tough fighter - he tapped after the referee intervened.

Why does it bother you?

I just gave you a link where a fighter does that
No you didn't
U provided a link where a fighter alleges he would rather not.

Nothing about a fighter disparaging other fighters for submitting to strikes.

Thats something a non-fighter would say

Back