How many people here train MMA as a hobby

pheonix5

Purple Belt
Reaction score
With no aspirations of fighting ammy or going pro? And do you feel it's worth it,time and money wise?

I've been training muay thai and jujitsu for 3 years. After 6 months of muay thai I started training full time, 6 hours a day (recently graduated, had a fulltime job for a bit and saved some cash) and at 1 year I went to train in Bangkok for 2 months. Everyone asked me "when are you going to fight", "what are you planning to do", and in all honesty I was only training for my own satisfaction and the fact that it kept me focused and away from partying and crime. I had no aspirations to compete at all.

2 months ago I had my first ammy fight in muay thai, and I'm planning to have a few more this year. My plans? None. I'm just trying to better myself as a person and in muay thai, and to see my potential.

If it makes you happy do it. Money is wasted everyday on pointless things, might aswell use one that is beneficial to your health and mind. Of course one could consider it a waste of time if someone trains all week, then gets hammered on the weekends pretty much taking 2 steps back from whatever progress they made, but too each their own.

Yah, I guess I do Muay Thai for a hobby. One thing I noticed about combat sports is that the nature of the training sort of preps you for the next level. Weather it be from hitting bags and pads to sparring, sparring to smoker fights, from smokers to ammy comp, or ammy comp to pro. So to tell you the truth I'm not sure were I want to draw the line. When I first started this stuff I originally wanted to just get a good workout and spar occationally. Now I find that I try to spar more because 1. I feel I learn the most doing that and 2. It has become fun to me. Now it seems I want to experience some type of competition. But, I'm not a really competitive guy, I do this mostly for spiritual reason not so much to win or lose.

Even if you don't do any competition you can still get a whole lot out of the normal gym activities, such as sparring and aggressive bag work. I took boxing for a few months and my coach said that some mexican fighters have little to no ammy experience, they simply preped themselve for the pro's with gym sparring. But, just try to feel it out, if you think this is a waist of time and of money then it probably is in your case but it depends entirely on you.

Last edited:
ive been doin the jits for like 5-6 years off n on went heavy on it like 4 years now, i box and spar as much as i can, its just really fun to me and i like the people i train with. Whatever u enjoy i guess

Have been doing MMA for about 3 years now as a hobby, training 2-3 days a week. As far as hobbies go, its a very rewarding one. Aside from the injuries you take here and there, it's really beneficial to your health. I also found that it inspired me to change my diet and really focus on becoming healthy and strong.

I've entered a few grapple comps and enjoyed them, and I try to get to a pure BJJ or Judo class whenever I can as well. I've never felt compelled to get in the actual cage though - despite having done MMA for a few years I'm still a terrible fighter ;).

I also found that it makes watching MMA a lot more interesting overall. It's worth going and trying it out for sure.

I have no aspirations to be a fighter and am too heavy to fight amateur, nor can I afford full time training for that. I train for self defense, health and personal satisfaction.

I used to train as a hobby but Im now thinking of getting on some competitions of whatever(bjj,boxing,muay thai) and see where that takes me, maybe I end up pro if I like it maybe not, but at least now its fun as hell to train

I've been training on and off for a while just for fun, but now I actually want to get back into it properly. I'm hoping that I might possibly get an Amateur MMA fight or else i'll enter a grappling tournament or something.

I've been training muay thai and jujitsu for 3 years. After 6 months of muay thai I started training full time, 6 hours a day (recently graduated, had a fulltime job for a bit and saved some cash) and at 1 year I went to train in Bangkok for 2 months. Everyone asked me "when are you going to fight", "what are you planning to do", and in all honesty I was only training for my own satisfaction and the fact that it kept me focused and away from partying and crime. I had no aspirations to compete at all.

2 months ago I had my first ammy fight in muay thai, and I'm planning to have a few more this year. My plans? None. I'm just trying to better myself as a person and in muay thai, and to see my potential.

If it makes you happy do it. Money is wasted everyday on pointless things, might aswell use one that is beneficial to your health and mind. Of course one could consider it a waste of time if someone trains all week, then gets hammered on the weekends pretty much taking 2 steps back from whatever progress they made, but too each their own.

did you win? did you fight a guy with 6 months experience or a vet?

I started it as a hobby, but after pretty much spending every second of free time training in the gym, my coach asked me after a sparring session if I wanted to fight. And for some reason without hesitation I happily said "yes" and did 3 ammy fights whilst living in Arizona.

I had my first sparring session in almost FOUR years with someone just getting into it that I've been helping coach along. I'm not qualified or any good even, but helping him progress with just what I know. Felt good but I'm glad no one saw it because I would have been embarrassed lol

I've had someone ask me if I "train UFC". I thought it was a sherdog joke. I didnt think people really ask that.

I've had someone ask me if I "train UFC". I thought it was a sherdog joke. I didnt think people really ask that.

You certainly told them "fuck yeah bro!" just before putting on your Tapout and/or Affliction shirt, right?

I just train MT (and boxing) for fun and fitness.

it doesn't matter what your goals are. if you want to fight, great. if you don't, no problem.

every few years I need to try a new sport to get excited again. that's just me.

I started because it was fun and I needs a way to staycin shape, weights and jogging held no appeal.

A few years later and I still enjoy it. No fights yet, though I've had 2 match ups fall through. When I think I can manage the discipline to train 5x a week, hit up the crossfit classes, diet better and stop drinking booze for 6 weeks, I might try to get another ammy fight.

Even typing that, I feel like it's going to be a while.

I started training many years ago to be come a fighter...after few years and 5 concussions that goal was put to rest. Now I train for a hobby.

As I get older, things that once brought me pleasure no longer do...thankfully training still gives me excitement.

I train MT as a hobby, and I fight at smokers and I fight ammy. Unless you earn aliving fighting it's just a hobby.

I just enjoy it. Have no aspirations of doing professionally, nor would I want to. Well worth the time.

I started because it was fun and I needs a way to staycin shape, weights and jogging held no appeal.

A few years later and I still enjoy it. No fights yet, though I've had 2 match ups fall through. When I think I can manage the discipline to train 5x a week, hit up the crossfit classes, diet better and stop drinking booze for 6 weeks, I might try to get another ammy fight.

Even typing that, I feel like it's going to be a while.

So did you manage it?

Back