How many people do you train with?

Unr8dBJJ

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I'm curious to hear the sizes of your guy's gyms/academies

We have a smaller facility and usually have 8 guys for Kick-Boxing before and then depending usually around 10-12 for Jiu-Jitsu.

I'm always trying to recruit more people to come check it out, Helps with the gym but mostly cause I'm very passionate about training and it's just fun to be a part of.

10-12 isn't bad. We're lucky to get 8, but we're a newer gym and the classes I go to are pretty much all blue belt and up. I'm honestly less concerned with the number of people training that the quality. If you get 3 other people who work really hard and are fairly good you can have productive training sessions. Hell, 1-1 drilling sessions are some of the best work I get in.

Probably around 35-40 on a typical beginners class, 20ish in advanced classes.
55 in class a few weeks ago, think thay was the biggest class they've ever had.

Depends on the class.
AM class 5-7
Noon class between 8-10.
Comp class 20-25
Fundamentals/Intermediate night class 30-40.

It's so random. I was in an advanced class that had two students (and two black belts teaching) last week, while our intermediate class on Tuesday had 25-30. I would echo what Uchi said, though; training with the right people is far more important than a high number. Now, if you can have both, well...baby, you got a stew goin'!

A really busy night would be about 12-15

Most nights about 8

Quiet nights 4/5 (which are the best)

I like the number we get when it's 10-12, Open mat day on Sundays is usually the Higher belts so about 6.

Love open mat, gives me a chance to really pick up some useful tips and experiment my game a little bit.

I couldn't imagine rolling in a class of 30+ guess you'd never be short on finding someone to roll with though.

Monday's generally have around 10-12, any other day is 4-6.

it varies but I go to the last muay thai class 9-11pm so it's less crowded, I'd say in average we get 5 to 10 people, maybe 15 tops. On thursdays, which is the slower day, there are usually only 2 to 4 people.
The 7-9pm class gets in average 20 people.

From 10 to 18 or so normally.

There are 8 of us that are almost always there and then a couple more that have odd schedules lately due to work or school. Then there are 25 or so that randomly come in.

Our fundamentals class averages 7-10 & intermediate class is usually 10-15

It varies quite a bit. Beginners and intermediate usually have 10-30 and advanced 10-20.

Mine also varies.

MMA class: Usually like 15+
Muay Thai: 8-15
Gi BJJ: 10-15
NoGi BJJ: 10-15

Actually those numbers I threw up are pretty much random guesses. The MMA class definitely seems to have the most people. Gi class used to be smalelr than nogi but it switched for some reason recently. Muay Thai on some days has a lot of guys and some days it doesn't. Seems totally random but there are pretty consistent guys I see and then there are some guys who I will see every other time or something

Usually between 15-25 ppl, both gi and no gi

6-8 is normal group size at my gym, but there are about 10+ guys altogether, its just not everyone shows up every time at once.

Back