How many of you were injured by an armbar?

ive never had any serious injuries but ive had some pain for a week or so im fine now though.

My elbow popped in an armbar a few weeks ago... I was in a tight triangle and extended my arm out while I was trying to squeeze my head out (stupid!). My opponent didn't notice it a first, but when he did he pulled on my arm slightly, but because it was fully extended it popped three times.

I am still quite tender and need to be fairly careful with the arm to not aggravate the injury. But I never missed training because of it. I didn't even stop rolling when it happened.

ive had a complete dislocation from an armbar. Most painful thing Ive ever experienced.

The only lasting pain/damage from an armbar actually came from an escape. I turned my thumb, bent my arm, and started rolling out, same as I have done 100's of times, but for some reason, when I rolled I guess not all of the parts moved in sync and I heard a noise in my elbow, like cracking a knuckle.

I don't have steady pain but a few angles and movements irritate it, I think I injured the annulus ligament due to where it hurts and how I can reproduce the pain (pronation = ow, supination = fine). Since it's a nuisance and not incapacitating I've just trained around it with success. My training partner who did the armbar and I figured it was friction of the gi + not being entirely warmed up that facilitated the injury.

My first week of training a couple months back, a spazzy retard cranked an armbar on me faster than I could tap - we weren't even rolling we were DRILLING :mad: It really hurt and it took a month for it to go back to normal.

Over time, both my elbows have been popped at some point.

The first competition I did was in a pretty small town in France. There were only two guys my size, so I ended being matched with bigger guys in my last two matches. In my last match, this gorilla armbarred me. I tapped as soon as he locked it, but he really cranked it and the ref didn't stop him quick enough. My arm started to make a crunching sound. My arm was injured for about a month and hurt when I extended it.

My elbow's been hurting for a month due to an armbar from the guard, but it's nothing serious. I just couldn't deal with any holds to that arm for a couple of weeks, since it hurt a lot. It's pretty much ok now, just a little sore.

I've had my arm pop once. It was in an armbar from a scarf hold with the legs which means it comes on really fast as most people don't have as much dexterity with their legs as their arms.

I have a torn labrum I am nursing right now. I had just started training again...so depressed.

Sounds like something you should see a doctor about ...

The thing is, I'm a personal trainer so I have alot of knowledge of the body. I have also played sports for close to 20 years (26 now), so have had minor injuries over that time. This was my first arm injury ever though, having previously tweaked both knees, and tore several ligaments in my right ankle, and nerve damage in my wrist. So this injury I tried to figure out whether I had broken bones, ligament of tendon damage, and permanent loss of ROM. I kept my arm loose the first two weeks, then gradually started doing light bicep work and going to bjj class. I believe I partially dislocated my elbow and severely strained several tendons. No need for a doctor now... Heh

I'm going to try to go to class tomorrow night and avoid using my left arm, but if it becomes ridiculous I will just do the warm up and technique and then just watch for the rest of class.

I said the same thing to myself the first day back. Of course after the warmup and sitting in on the techniques, I just HAD to train man. I just told my partners that I had 0 ability with my left arm but the rest of my body was 100 percent, and we worked around it. During the last 30 mins of class for rolling, I just went very light and told guys to not attack that arm.

On three separate occasions, lasting anywhere from about month to around six months. Usually a case of golfer's elbow due to the hyperextension.

no problem with my arms (or my dodgy knne for that matter, it is almost like I can let people crank that leg, wore down the pain receptors or something I guess)

my problems in BJJ is with my neck, been caught with guillitones and triangles alott but "toughed it out nad escaped by less then technical means most often, although I am a judoka I often tend to fight like a poor folkstyle wrestler. And I am hard to choke, guess everything goes into my neck

Do you guys think I should go to class and try avoid using my one arm that is hurt?

I don't have any pain when my arm isn't moving but when I put any weight on my arm then it hurts. I went to the doctor today and he said I have some slight tears but nothing else. The only thing I can do is rest and take NSAID's.

Do you guys think I should go to class and try avoid using my one arm that is hurt?

I don't have any pain when my arm isn't moving but when I put any weight on my arm then it hurts. I went to the doctor today and he said I have some slight tears but nothing else. The only thing I can do is rest and take NSAID's.

No, do what your doctor said.

I was injured by an armbar only a few weeks after I had started training by another noob who had about a month of experience on me. I was holding my hands together to try and defend it ,he was pulling really hard to break my grip so when he did he wasn't able to slow down before straightening out my arm and it ended up popping twice and was really sore and swollen for like a week.

I've had 2 slight dislocations.

But never to bad.

no, rest... play video games.

This moron armbarred me, i tapped ,he kept pulling i tapped harder ,he than started inserting his hips , i yelled stop and than after the second yell he let go after we both heard my arm popping , had pain in my elbow for like 3 months, than it started to feel better and now again 2 months later its back..:icon_sad:

Next time i rolled with him i told him to take it easy on my arm , since he fucked it up , he than told me that rolling with him would be at my own risk.

After that and several other "conflicts" i just dont roll with those kind of guys anymore.

I now only roll with guys that want to learn and dont have their ego stuck in their ass.
And i feel a lot less likely to get injured ever since, its a little confrontational to tell people that you dont roll with them in their face, but hey it gets some adrenaline going :icon_chee

Back