How many of you were injured by an armbar?

Oak

栄誉
@Brown
Reaction score
Just wondering how many people here have had any type of injury due to an armbar in their BJJ career? Mild or serious, it doesn't matter.

Seems like mild injuries are fairly common. I'm just trying to get a concensus on how common it is since I got my first injury on Monday. Hopefully I wont be out too long...

Every time I've been hurt in an armbar it's been my own fault. In fact, the worst injury I've ever had from an armbar was from trying to curl my arm back into a 90 degree angle to try to escape it, which hurt worse than when he extended it.

The only injury I had was a slightly sore elbow the next day.

I've hyperextended my elbow once pretty bad while posturing out of a triangle and my someone threw a leg over my face and the armlock came on real fast.

I had my elbow dislocated from a guy in Maine from a mounted Americana.

it happens if you don't tap quick enough from a sneaky arm bar

I got mine tweaked a few weeks ago and it's still mildly sore if I bend it wrong or put strain on it

it happens

I do hate when someone cranks an armbar during friendly training. I mean, you know what the move does, it doesn't take much leverage, but we all get a little excited sometimes I suppose

my arm was hurting for a month from an armbar. but now my arm is back to normal. i was tapping but my training partner didn't feel the tap so he kept on cranking until i verbally tapped while slapping his leg.

I've had it tweaked a few times, last week somthing on the side of my elbow popped but I didn't lose any motion and the pain was mild and only lasted about a week, not sure what it is that made that popping noise exactly

I was on top in open guard and the guy on the bottom faked a sweep attempt so I posted my left arm to stop the weak attempt. We were supposed to be lightly rolling... So then right after I post, he takes me back the other way then goes 100 percent on another sweep attempt to which I post again but hadn't realized he was going full on. I heard three pops in my elbow/bicep and was in alot of pain instantly. I iced and elevated for two weeks and sat out all classes. Started twice a week after the two weeks. That was 3 months ago and I still don't have 100 percent range of motion, and my arm doesn't feel natural anymore when I bend it all the way. Back to training full time (4x week) after 6 weeks though.

I've been tweaked by one. It limited my range of motion for about three days and I was cautious with my arm for about two weeks.

But that was a combination of positioning and unlucky circumstances that led to that.

I was on top in open guard and the guy on the bottom faked a sweep attempt so I posted my left arm to stop the weak attempt. We were supposed to be lightly rolling... So then right after I post, he takes me back the other way then goes 100 percent on another sweep attempt to which I post again but hadn't realized he was going full on. I heard three pops in my elbow/bicep and was in alot of pain instantly. I iced and elevated for two weeks and sat out all classes. Started twice a week after the two weeks. That was 3 months ago and I still don't have 100 percent range of motion, and my arm doesn't feel natural anymore when I bend it all the way. Back to training full time (4x week) after 6 weeks though.

Sounds like something you should see a doctor about ...

My arm has been a little sore for a couple days after practice but it's never popped. But I've made a couple of other guys' arms pop when they didn't tap early enough to my armbar. They usually don't miss any practice for it. I've never heard anyone say they missed practice from an elbow injury due to being armbarred.

I guess I just tap early because my Judo coach showed me how one of his arms can only extend to about 120 degrees now because he didn't tap to an armbar one time.

I rolled for the first time in forever the other day, and jesus fucking christ, i almost got my arm torn off.

I got mounted, and i knew he was going to try a triangle from mount, so i shifted my weight so he couldnt lock his legs together. I waited it out and started to roll out, and rolled in the wrong direction (i went right and would have had his back had i gone left), and he still had the arm and just extended.

He freaking farted right as he extended his hips, so he thought me tapping was a joke reaction, as i just did it gently and waited for him to let go, so i had to yell out "FUCK IM TAPPING" before he snapped my goddamn arm.

I guess I've been unluckier than most of you guys then. I've only been back to training for about a month now and then this happens. I swear I can't wait til I get to a level where I can roll with higher belts and do some smooth BJJ.

My arm isn't in steady pain but I can't apply pressure on it and it hurts if I try to lift anything heavy. I am going to the doctor tomorrow, hopefully it isn't anything too bad.

I'm going to try to go to class tomorrow night and avoid using my left arm, but if it becomes ridiculous I will just do the warm up and technique and then just watch for the rest of class.

I rolled for the first time in forever the other day, and jesus fucking christ, i almost got my arm torn off.

I got mounted, and i knew he was going to try a triangle from mount, so i shifted my weight so he couldnt lock his legs together. I waited it out and started to roll out, and rolled in the wrong direction (i went right and would have had his back had i gone left), and he still had the arm and just extended.

He freaking farted right as he extended his hips, so he thought me tapping was a joke reaction, as i just did it gently and waited for him to let go, so i had to yell out "FUCK IM TAPPING" before he snapped my goddamn arm.

Sorry for laughing but that's fucking hilarious.

Lol I have to agree that's pretty fuckin funny. Good thing you didn't get hurt.

I have had both of my arms broken, because of my stupidity. I learned to tap when I have to.

In the beginning of my Bjj journey I remember being one of those stupid guys that refuses tapping... and so I hyperextend my arm a time or two before learning the lesson. But luckily it never was something serious. Just some pain in the elbow for some time and nothing more.

Now I really tap quickly anyway...

I've never been injured by an armbar, but I did pop a training partner's elbow once.

I had him in a sloppy triangle, and then switched to an armlock. thought I had it locked, on, but he wasn't tapping, so I started to gradually apply more pressure when I felt a "pop" in his arm. I let go right away, and he dropped down into side control and kept going like nothing happened. I asked him if he was ok, and he said he was fine, so we kept rolling a little and then he asked me if I had felt his elbow pop. I told him that I had, and then we stopped.

I felt terrible about it for a long time afterwards because even if he wasn't tapping, I should have trusted myself and just let it go. Who cares if he passes my guard - it's training, not a competition.

I've never been injured by an armbar, but I did pop a training partner's elbow once.

I had him in a sloppy triangle, and then switched to an armlock. thought I had it locked, on, but he wasn't tapping, so I started to gradually apply more pressure when I felt a "pop" in his arm. I let go right away, and he dropped down into side control and kept going like nothing happened. I asked him if he was ok, and he said he was fine, so we kept rolling a little and then he asked me if I had felt his elbow pop. I told him that I had, and then we stopped.

I felt terrible about it for a long time afterwards because even if he wasn't tapping, I should have trusted myself and just let it go. Who cares if he passes my guard - it's training, not a competition.

I think it's ok if you gradually apply pressure, you shouldn't feel guilty. Your sparring must known when to tap and if you just let go he will never realize. As you said it's training, not competition, but there's the other face of the coin- in competition nobody will let him go and he will get injured if he did not learn in training.

i got armbarred by this guy out of no where and still to this day do not know how he did it. i was fine and then bang--armbar.

bicep hurt for about 2 weeks.

Back