How many of you truly enjoy HARD sparring?

Michael Wanaka said:
Exactly! I sparred a HARD 10 minute round with Hayato "maha" sakurai last week (muay thai rules). He knocked the wind outa me with a back kick and punished my legs. Fun shit though!

Damn. I never like getting knocked out but I wouldn't mind that!

How's he preparing for Gomi?

I enjoy hard sparring as long as the other dudes somewhat pulls the punches to the head (and doesn't kick me in the head). I suck horribly, so I'll end up mainly getting plastered, but I'm good at taking pain, it really gets my adrenaline going and I learn a lot.

Since starting training, I've come to admire stand-up fighting a lot more, and I just don't get it how the K-1 guys can take those crazy hits and keep going. I'm not even sure my head would still be attached to my body if my instructor kicked me, and he's a smallish jiu-jitsu black belt.

sparring is best training you can get.

Eduardo R. said:
Hard sparring can be lots of fun when you are with a partner around your skill. It's never fun to get pounded on by someone a lot bigger then you or above your level, but it is necessary.

That's my problem with hard sparring. I've been doing this for 2 years and I have to admit that it's frustrating and intimidating to fight guys that have anywhere from 10 to 30 years experience on me.

Johnny2 mentioned earlier about losing it a little when he gets hit. I feel that way when I feel overwhelmed by guys that a)are much more experienced than me and/or b)outweigh me by 20-100lbs and/or c) are physically much stronger than me (which kinda' goes with b), and/or d)have a huge reach advantage.

So, what ends up happening is that I'm so intent on just staying away and not getting hit, I end up doing a lot of running. Plus, when I do fell cornered I end up with these flurries of kicks and punches that tend to lose technique and accuracy. I know it's just a mental thing. Obviously these guys aren't going to really hurt me, and it's all just in the name of improving ourselves.

Doesn't change the fact that it sucks to get punched in the nose!

I'll admit I haven't done hard sparring (kickboxing/muay thai style) for many years. Married, children, demanding day job, teaching, etc...I just don't train as intensely as I used to.

Anyone who has done it, however, knows there are positives and negatives to it. What farmboy says is true. I've trained with guys that have outweighed me by 50+ pounds. If they have any skill at all you learn right away that there is a reason for weight classes in boxing. And when you have varying skills/size differences there needs to be some control. Sure you can do the whole 'balls to the wall' thing, but when someone who outweighs you by 50+ pounds has you on the ropes he better let up a little to keep serious injury from happening.

Same with varying skill levels. There were guys you'd get with that perfect side kick and you could tell their wind was gone. They were basically stumbling back and wheezing, hands down. That is not the time to throw a haymaker to the guys face.

There has to be some control in training. You need to be pushed/etc. There is no doubt about that. That is how you learn. But even in hard training, in my opinion, it has to be controlled aggression. You need to turn it off or injury is going to keep people from getting better.

Just my humble opinion.

i enjoy it even when i am losing. but i love making the person i'm sparring with scared.. not that i'm going to hurt them seriously.. but to feint and have them flinch, or move in and have them jump out of the way. i like to be offensive so if i can get them scared they are in a position where i can do what i do best.

I love hard sparring, even if it is against someone at a higher level than me. There is nothing like it to truly prepare for the intensity oif a fight. You just have to be sure to be wearing the right equipment to prevent injuries.

Yep hard sparring does rock, but only against some1 at the same level or slightly higher. If your sparring hard with someone less skilled or someone much better, it doesn't teach either fighter anything, eccept the junior how to take a beating & that can be quite demoralising. I only spar real hard before a fight usually, so i'm psyched up anyway.

I'm still on light sparring as I've only been training for just over a month but sometimes I think I want the other guy just to clock me as hard as he can to see if I can take it.

Plus I know I've got some big shots waiting to be unleashed myself!!! :)

Depends what mood I am in. If I am psyched then hard sparring is the order of the day and I can't get enough. If I am feeling a little fragile then my hearts not in it.
Like most have said I don't like hard sparring with someone who whips my ass every time we step in the ring. The only consolation is when I start to catch them up and that's what keeps me going sometimes. Just one good shot to every 20 of theirs is enough if before that I couldn't even tag them once in a round!
I don't like dishing out on someone way below my level and most time I will just switch to defensive practice which can get frustrating, but I know what's its like coming up so I'll do my best to bring newbies on cause that's what I appreciated most.

its great when your doing it... sucks ass the next day/week.
a real match is even better. i had an amateur mma fight bout a month ago. i havent had that much fun in years. next day i was like uhhhhhh what was i thinking. couple days after that, found out i got a broke rib. then i was really like wtf am i doing. i wouldnt want to be my opponent then if i felt that bad, cause i pretty much dominated, never took a good clean shot but that one knee to rib. he on the other hand...

so for those people that actually fight... and have taken a serious loss/beating... is it worth it? getting up in the morning and trying to go to work all fucked up..
that made me think alot. it aint all fun and laughs.

hard sparring and light sparring i find to be two completely different animals on their own.

the stuff you can do when your hitting hard and what you do when your going light is very different. If you plan on competiting you gotta fight hard.

however since i havent been able to get a steady stream of training under my belt and me being about 20% of my ring shape... i'm not to proud to say... light sparring is fine for me now :)

x757x said:
a real match is even better. i had an amateur mma fight bout a month ago. i havent had that much fun in years. next day i was like uhhhhhh what was i thinking. couple days after that, found out i got a broke rib. then i was really like wtf am i doing. i wouldnt want to be my opponent then if i felt that bad, cause i pretty much dominated, never took a good clean shot but that one knee to rib. he on the other hand...

so for those people that actually fight... and have taken a serious loss/beating... is it worth it? getting up in the morning and trying to go to work all fucked up..

this is the point I was trying to make originally. Alot of people say that they love hard sparring, but I don't know if they have ever faced the consequences of things such as serious injuries, and medical operations to correct ligaments.

DKM76 said:
this is the point I was trying to make originally. Alot of people say that they love hard sparring, but I don't know if they have ever faced the consequences of things such as serious injuries, and medical operations to correct ligaments.

I've had back surgery for a non-martial arts related injury.

It certainly gets you thinking! About general health, quality of life, etc, etc. Injuries can limit what you can do outside of martial arts. No more just playing a damn pick up game of basketball with the guys.

Luckily I was able to make a full recovery. But anyone who has the attitude of: "I don't give a shit. I just like to bang! I love knocking other people out!!!"

These guys have never had to do recovery and rehab.

I'm with you. I'll go hard. But I want there to be guidelines with my training partner. I never want to have surgery like that again if I can avoid it.

It's good because anyone can hit, kick, submit, etc when they feel great. It's how you do those things hurt that counts...

x757x said:

good point

once in a hkd tournament i was slamed and choked until unconciousness
when i wake up i had another fight and i acepted i was heel hooked in my bad leg

the next day i couldn't walk, i my neck was bleeding
i felt like junk, but one of my oponents wich i won broke his arm, must sucks too

but the thing is that you can use these kinds of situations to think in your mistakes and improve and train harder when healed

last time i went again for a tournament

the guy i broke his arm with a kick quit
the guy who heel hooked me didn't wanted to fight me too (he took some nice kick)

only the guy who choked me fought again

well, the next thing i remember was me low kicking , punching and kneeing the guy so many times and ending with an inverted heel hook in the first round

now that was a good feeling, my fight was considere the best of the tournament, a lot of people i never saw(even the little kids) came after me to congratulate me

just like once king kabuki said fighting is one of the best metaphours about life

I don't enjoy it, but it's one of those things you have to do if you want to get good.

Admittedly, i've never fought at a full 100% like it was a real fight. I don't get that. How can you keep learning if you or your sparring partner are unconscious?

Back