How many of you here trains in

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Janilane, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Janilane

Janilane Guest

multiple MA and can only allot 1 day (1.5 hours) a week to BJJ? I'm thinking of giving up one of the 3 MAs I'm taking and perhaps make BJJ 2x a week. I'm not looking for tourney, just a hobby for me. Being a single parent with job 6 days a week plus doing 3 MAs is slowly taking its toll on me...

anyone here with similar dilemma?:icon_neut

2. nohuff

nohuff White Belt

Quit the other 2 and do BJJ 3x a week! I am very biased though :icon_lol:.

3. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I used to do a couple other ma in addition to bjj and was constantly frustrated that I couldn't get good at all three. I ended up quitting the other ones and sticking with bjj

4. lightw8

lightw8 Orange Belt

would you guys mind mentioning how much more you started to retain/progress, and by how many more classes? I made the switch long time ago- cut out standup and wrestling but it was cause of injury.

5. shouldercharge

shouldercharge Dave Camarillo idoliser

i went from bjj 3-4x a week to once a week when i took up judo,i stopped progressing but i didnt go backwards either although to be fair i still get in 6-8 or so rounds of rolling a week in judo classes.

what are the other martial arts you do?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. shouldercharge

i trained bjj for a year then switched to judo,after 6 months i decided i'd train once a week at a fairly casual class under a purple belt just to keep my ground game up.
    what i plan n doing for a couple months over nov/dec now that the tournament season for judo is over is focus on bjj as much as possible and put judo on the back burner for a while.
    judos my main focus but i also want to grade and compete in bjj so i think i'll do this each year.and then throughout the year train my 3 judo sessions a week combined with 1 bjj class an open mat and a couple of mma classes.

7. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I started with 3 classes a week, then 4 after about a year. I stayed at 4 for about two years then I went up to 5 times a week, then did 5 doubles a week thn started doing 6 doubles a week (i work at the school). Now I am back down to 3 doubles a week and 2nd three light days a week.

I feel like four hard training days a week was when I progressed the most. I spent a good amount of time drilling, doing positional sparring and rolling hard.

8. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

1 day per week for BJJ is not enough.

you need at least 2-3 times per week when you start learning BJJ.

9. Janilane

Janilane Guest

I do kyokushin, BJJ and a bit new with kickboxing...I'll stop KB for now I guess. Can't give up KK and BJJ...:icon_sad:

10. 3 dimensional

3 dimensional Banned Banned

"2 days to maintain... 3 days to gain", roughly.

IMO, focus on jujitsu ... the intricacies involved are on another level as opposed to striking arts. No offense

11. Lionidas

Lionidas Brown Belt

I'd stick with 2 arts to be more well rounded.

1 for striking
    1 for grappling

12. shouldercharge

agreed if you can't give up the kyokushin give away the kick boxing and train 2 x a week in bjj.