How many of you here trains in

J

Janilane

multiple MA and can only allot 1 day (1.5 hours) a week to BJJ? I'm thinking of giving up one of the 3 MAs I'm taking and perhaps make BJJ 2x a week. I'm not looking for tourney, just a hobby for me. Being a single parent with job 6 days a week plus doing 3 MAs is slowly taking its toll on me...

anyone here with similar dilemma?:icon_neut

Quit the other 2 and do BJJ 3x a week! I am very biased though :icon_lol:.

I used to do a couple other ma in addition to bjj and was constantly frustrated that I couldn't get good at all three. I ended up quitting the other ones and sticking with bjj

would you guys mind mentioning how much more you started to retain/progress, and by how many more classes? I made the switch long time ago- cut out standup and wrestling but it was cause of injury.

i went from bjj 3-4x a week to once a week when i took up judo,i stopped progressing but i didnt go backwards either although to be fair i still get in 6-8 or so rounds of rolling a week in judo classes.

what are the other martial arts you do?

Last edited:
i trained bjj for a year then switched to judo,after 6 months i decided i'd train once a week at a fairly casual class under a purple belt just to keep my ground game up.
what i plan n doing for a couple months over nov/dec now that the tournament season for judo is over is focus on bjj as much as possible and put judo on the back burner for a while.
judos my main focus but i also want to grade and compete in bjj so i think i'll do this each year.and then throughout the year train my 3 judo sessions a week combined with 1 bjj class an open mat and a couple of mma classes.

I started with 3 classes a week, then 4 after about a year. I stayed at 4 for about two years then I went up to 5 times a week, then did 5 doubles a week thn started doing 6 doubles a week (i work at the school). Now I am back down to 3 doubles a week and 2nd three light days a week.

I feel like four hard training days a week was when I progressed the most. I spent a good amount of time drilling, doing positional sparring and rolling hard.

1 day per week for BJJ is not enough.

you need at least 2-3 times per week when you start learning BJJ.

i went from bjj 3-4x a week to once a week when i took up judo,i stopped progressing but i didnt go backwards either although to be fair i still get in 6-8 or so rounds of rolling a week in judo classes.

what are the other martial arts you do?
I do kyokushin, BJJ and a bit new with kickboxing...I'll stop KB for now I guess. Can't give up KK and BJJ...:icon_sad:

"2 days to maintain... 3 days to gain", roughly.

IMO, focus on jujitsu ... the intricacies involved are on another level as opposed to striking arts. No offense

I'd stick with 2 arts to be more well rounded.

1 for striking
1 for grappling

agreed if you can't give up the kyokushin give away the kick boxing and train 2 x a week in bjj.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back