How many of you don't celebrate Christmas?

Sometimes the best thing you could give your child, doesn't come from any store.

Aww, did you read that in a hallmark card? Were thinking of taking our kids down to the homeless shelter to see what's really going on. I figure if they slop some mashed potatoes on a bum's tray it will make them feel all tingly inside.

I just got a christmas card from our Chinese distributor.

Funny story: I was in Shanghai in 2004 for christmas. They had santa claus pics everywhere and a huge christmas scene in the center of old city of Shanghai. It was bizarre.

I believe in the importance of family, reconciliation and generosity. I'm sure your family would appreciate it if you spent Christmas with them, so why don't you stop thinking only about yourself and do something nice?

This is all good and well but why December 25th? Why not yesterday or 10 days from now? Generosity, family, and reconciliation doesn't or at least shouldn't have a specific day. I feel if it really is important then it should be a part of our everyday life not just today specifically because we are use to it being so culturally, religiously, or otherwise. That's what I meant about it feeling contrived and I assume that's what that poster meant by the pressure to conform.

This is all good and well but why December 25th? Why not yesterday or 10 days from now? Generosity, family, and reconciliation doesn't or at least shouldn't have a specific day. I feel if it really is important then it should be a part of our everyday life not just today specifically because we are use to it being so culturally, religiously, or otherwise. That's what I meant about it feeling contrived and I assume that's what that poster meant by the pressure to conform.

+1. There doesn't have to be a certain date to treat other with generosity. This holiday is just another stupid cultural norm, sorry if that sound overtly pessimistic but its true.

Sigh, a thread for me...."feels everywhere bro jpeg". Haven't read through its entirety yet, keep strong fellow third wheels. Just decided to sneak away for a couple of hours before I blow my lid at the mass clusterfuck that is a large family xmas. Gifts for the neices, nephews, brother, sister in law and her parents, 2 cousins and families, parents, etc. Absolutely pisses me off when you're only told about half the holidays events/schedule because, you know, you're a bach! You don't have kids so you don't need to be in the loop about whats going on or your say on things shouldn't be required! Just go with it, year after year, after fucking year! I hate christmas.

Sigh, a thread for me...."feels everywhere bro jpeg". Haven't read through its entirety yet, keep strong fellow third wheels. Just decided to sneak away for a couple of hours before I blow my lid at the mass clusterfuck that is a large family xmas. Gifts for the neices, nephews, brother, sister in law and her parents, 2 cousins and families, parents, etc. Absolutely pisses me off when you're only told about half the holidays events/schedule because, you know, you're a bach! You don't have kids so you don't need to be in the loop about whats going on or your say on things shouldn't be required! Just go with it, year after year, after fucking year! I hate christmas.

I fucking hate it.

I fucking hate it.

It's the fucking worst when after 30 some years you make a plan do do something for yourself finally and then get guilted into the same shit snare, year after year, after fucking year...

I celebrate, but not for the "true meaning" of christmas. It's just a good time to spend with the family and friends and go out of your way to make people happy. And good food. And another excuse to drink a lot and do cocaine.

It's the fucking worst when after 30 some years you make a plan do do something for yourself finally and then get guilted into the same shit snare, year after year, after fucking year...

This exactly. Then come the comments-

"He doesn't care about family" or "He's selfish" man I fucking hate that shit.

You're absolutely right. I spent way too much on my nephew this year. I bought his toys as much for myself as I did for him. It's just I wish the gifts didn't have to be associated with the religious aspect of the day. Like Christmas in July for a conventional secular Christmas, and Christmas in Winter for a religious holiday. You could switch the months if you wanted. Christ was born in Spring.

Where do you get this info from? I have read he was born in late summer/early fall. Supposedly John was born in March, and Jesus was born ~6 months after.

I celebrate it cos its a national holiday and everyone else does. its an excuse to see the family and get drunk, thats about it

Where do you get this info from? I have read he was born in late summer/early fall. Supposedly John was born in March, and Jesus was born ~6 months after.

Either way, it sure as fuck wasn't December 25th.

+1. There doesn't have to be a certain date to treat other with generosity. This holiday is just another stupid cultural norm, sorry if that sound overtly pessimistic but its true.
It's not a stupid cultural norm by any means. Kids absolutely love the Christmas season. Photos with Santa, Christmas carols and stories, Christmas lights and decorations, putting out cookies and milk and going to bed excited that Santa is on his way, etc. For adults you share those joys with your kids. It's also a great time to spend with extended families and go that extra mile to make everyone's day that much better. Not everyone values these things, but calling it stupid is a bit ridiculous. Having the date set makes it easier on everyone. No, it doesn't have to be December 25, but sometimes going all out isn't feasible multiple times per year.

It's not a stupid cultural norm by any means. Kids absolutely love the Christmas season. Photos with Santa, Christmas carols and stories, Christmas lights and decorations, putting out cookies and milk and going to bed excited that Santa is on his way, etc. for adults you share those joys with your kids. It's also a great time to spend with extended families and go that extra mile to make everyone's day that much better. Not everyone values these things, but calling it stupid is a bit ridiculous.

To each his own.

The one thing I actually hate about Christmas celebrations are those Dirty Santa gift games where everyone steals each others gifts. I'm sure it can be fun for some people, but I don't like the nature of it. In my extended family, it leads to too much drama.

It's suppose to be a Christian holiday, but that's not what it's even really about any more in my opinion. I celebrate in that all of my family will get together and have a Christmas dinner and exchange presents with each other. At least it's a good reason to get family together and have some time off.

This exactly. Then come the comments-

"He doesn't care about family" or "He's selfish" man I fucking hate that shit.

The bitch of this part is I can take all the men in the family, line them up, ask them what they got their kids/grandkids/neices/nephews/ or anyone for that matter, and they wouldn't have a clue. The wife or someone else does their shopping. Yet somehow I(you), will be the selfish prick.

Back