How many of GSP's title defense victims would Usman beat?

Prime penn would kill Usman.

first death in the octagon.
200w.gif

I think Usman beats all of them and smashes most except possibly Hendricks.

1. Jon Fitch
2. BJ Penn
3. Thiago Alves
4. Dan Hardy
5. Josh Koscheck
6. Jake Shields
7. Carlos Condit
8. Nick Diaz
9. Johny Hendricks

I think he beats Diaz, Condit, Hardy, Alves, Penn but loses to Fitch, Hendricks, Shields, Koscheck.

So 5/9

Usman beat all of them.

Does Usman get to run the same octane gas that all those guys were on? ;)

Probably all of them. However, GSP would beat Usman.

Usman's list really isn't any more impressive, and is shorter in terms of title defenses.

They would both likely beat the top WW's of either time.

MMA/UFC has evolved in terms of the larger roster, but not so much the guys at the top. Looking at the top 5 at each WC today, they really aren't that impressive. The talent pool in the sport is just too thin, mostly because it only pays well for a few, and pays so poorly at entry level. The whole idea of being champion today as more meaningful because of stronger competition is highly questionable, and mostly doubtful.

Easy fights except Hendricks, that's the question mark.
But GSP lost that fight, soooo...

He loses top EVERY name on that list because fighters were better before the evolution into point fighting was complete.

1. Jon Fitch
2. BJ Penn
3. Thiago Alves
4. Dan Hardy
5. Josh Koscheck
6. Jake Shields
7. Carlos Condit
8. Nick Diaz
9. Johny Hendricks

I think he beats Diaz, Condit, Hardy, Alves, Penn but loses to Fitch, Hendricks, Shields, Koscheck.

So 5/9
How does Fitch and Shields beat Martty? What route do they take to victory?

Prime Hendricks. What fighter Usman has fought would give GSP trouble? He has fought a couple of decent welters in their prime ( Colby and Leon) and a bunch of ballooned lightweights. Gsp would have an easier time with these folks than Usman against Shields, Fitch, Hendricks, Hughes, roided Alves and co.

I don’t think Usman has fought anyone remotely as good as GSP, so I cannot say that Usman would win. I know that a washed up GSP won a questionable decision against prime Hendricks who is as dangerous as today’s Usman imo.

It would be a toss between these 2 …. Usman is stronger and tougher but GSP is smarter and faster. What’s NOT debatable is the competition both have faced. Gsp fought welters in their prime…. Usman is fighting lw rejects and old men which is a shame because Usman is a beast of a fighter.

Last edited:
Back