How many new moves can you remember in a class?

Best private is when you show situations you have trouble with (or they scout you for a week and give you the solutions to your suck spots) and get corrected or show the instructor your best moves and they show you a combo based on an excellent reaction/prevention/escape.

Generally in class I teach, or or 2 standing techniques, and a variation of each. And at least 1 ground technique.

That being said, sometimes we'll do a real specific class, such as "countering the shot" and I end up teaching a lot of techniques. I TEACH a lot of techniques, but people generally only remember a couple... those being the one's that really work for them.

Recall is one thing, application is another. I can remember every global technique that is presented (the details, which is 90% of the technique, is a different story). However, it probably wont present itself in my game until much later (unless it's directly related to my current mini-goals).

Then again, keeping a journal forces me to pay attention, plus I ask tons of questions...

It depends on how they are taught. If they are all related, like part of a series or options for a particular position, you are more likely to remember them all, and even if you only get one or two, at least you retain something to do from that position.

For example, I am teaching a class tonight while my instructor is away. I expect it to be a mix of white belts and 0-2 stripe blues. I'm keeping it basic, but progressing through a series of moves. For example we'll start with armbar drills from the guard. Everyone already knows this. Then the opponent will stack me to defend, and I'll show a sweep. The blue belts will know this. Then I'll show a sweep if that doesn't work, which I think is new to all. Then I'll demonstrate how to spin under the guy and finish the armbar if the sweeps don't work. Last I'll demonstrate how to sweep the guy if you spin under and he's still blocking the armbar. That's a lot of techniques for one class, but when you break it down they are really just various progressive steps in an overall series, and I think that helps everyone learn it.

Back