How many new moves can you remember in a class?

Sloth

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I'm curious, how many new techniques can you effectively remember in a one hour class without getting overwhelmed and starting to blur them all together, or just not remembering them at all?

When I started training, the norm was to teach 3 differents moves per day.

But the instructor realised that people just got confused so he just teach one move (and a few variations) per class instead.

I try for one, Im happy if I really understand one. the rest is gravy.

I'm pretty good at this. I may not get the physical memory of it, but I can explain the details of any class within the last month.'

I'm comfortable with 3 to 5 new techniques at a time, but I know for sure it would be better to do no more than 3. That's just a talent I have and would gladly trade to actually be able to do the things I can remember...but oh well.

Depends a lot on how they are taught.

For example, if I spend 10 mins teaching one, then go to another, then another then another, chances are they'll be forgot.

But if they lead into each other, so that in order to get to that 4th, you have to do the first 3, or at least attempt them, then people are more likely to remember all 4.

Or if there is a "review" that helps as well. Something like
Technique 1 for 10 mins
Technique 2 for 10 mins
Alternate Technique 1 & 2 for 5 mins
Technique 3 for 10 mins
Alternate Technique 1,2 & 3 for 10 mins

People will remember something a lot better if you do it, then do something else, then get them to do it again.

Another example would be a flow drill, I could teach:
guard pass -> Side
Side -> mount
Bridge & Roll -> Guard

to a brand new student, and they would have the general feel for each. Could probably even through in a sweep & elbow escape. There would be very little in terms of details retained, but the basic concept could be retained.

Or on the flipside, you could work something like keeping posture in guard... not really a technique, more of a concept. I could explain the concept to you in about 30 seconds and you'll remember it, but it's going to likely take many classes before its "there"

I'm pretty good at this. I may not get the physical memory of it, but I can explain the details of any class within the last month.'

I'm comfortable with 3 to 5 new techniques at a time, but I know for sure it would be better to do no more than 3. That's just a talent I have and would gladly trade to actually be able to do the things I can remember...but oh well.

You are rare, most can only take in one, some times two.

Old Brazilian teaching con. Charge a lot for a private and show them 6 or 7 moves, it overloads them and they learn nothing. Extra cash though.

You are rare, most can only take in one, some times two.

Old Brazilian teaching con. Charge a lot for a private and show them 6 or 7 moves, it overloads them and they learn nothing. Extra cash though.

Is it a con, or is it giving them what they wanted, instead of what they needed?

After a certain point its all variations on the same basic principles, thinking 3 dimensionally, etc, fret not.

After a certain point its all variations on the same basic principles, thinking 3 dimensionally, etc, fret not.

That is when you can absorb more, connecting techniques with their principals.

One concept applied to several techniques, or one or two variations of one technique; then hella reps.

it depends on the student's lvl. But for noobs 1 or 2 at the most. For advanced students 3~4 but the last 2 being variations of the first technique

2, the one i'm focusing on, then when they block that one, the complimentary move.

Remember properly? I'd say two at the most, and possibly slight variants of that. Any more than three and you're either training too long or not drilling enough reps.

as a noob at the moment I am struggling with just 1
but the BIGGER issue I have is understanding all the small bits that make up the move that a new person doesn't know/understand/see like keeping your head in or constantly shifting the base to be more stable

What our teacher usually does is 2 moves but they are usually 2 from the same thing ie half guard escape to side mount then we did half guard to wizzer(apparently thats the name) then roll them back over when they push back and go into side control again

In an hour I think that one basic move and one in depth move that ties in with the move is probably all you should be expected to know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back