How many lbs force do haymakers generate?

Str4wberry

White Belt
Reaction score
Those big, dumb punches the untrained seem to like throwing in a street fight. And also 'arm punches' as I'd call them, when someone uses pretty much just their arm and/or shoulder to throw a punch, without the sort of waist movement you would see in boxing.

I would like to know approximately how much force a punch like this would generate compared to that of well-executed jabs, crosses & hooks.

I was teaching a friend the other day about boxing and how to throw a punch correctly (he is completely inexperienced), and he asked why the movement of everything besides the arm was so important.

I told him that when you throw a punch simply with your arm and shoulder, you are only hitting the target with the mass of your fist and your arm, which is hardly anything. I told him that even just twisting at the waist when you punch adds the mass of your upper body into it, which multiplies the force you will land on your target.

I was curious after this and I like to get into the physics of these things. So if an average guy, maybe around 5'10" and 170lbs, were to throw one of those sloppy haymakers or 'arm punches', how much force do you think he could generate with this if it lands?

After 9 months of research I can conclusively say the answer is 4,000,000.

Not really that crazy of a question to warrant those responses.

Not really that crazy of a question to warrant those responses.

The fact that basically every response has patronized him should let you know that this question really was stupid to such a degree that it did warrant those responses.

The fact that basically every response has patronized him should let you know that this question really was stupid to such a degree that it did warrant those responses.

Not really. He could've phrased it better so he didn't look like a goon, but hes pretty much asking the difference in force between throwing arm punches compared to proper punches. Not that wild.
I thought he got those responses because hes a white belt and some ppl here feel like forum belts actually carry weight in the real world.

4 million is correct, I just crunched the numbers on my TI 84

Duran KO a horse.

Foreman once threw a right cross at a Lion.
He missed and the Lion ran in fear.
True story.

He said it was the hardest punch he ever threw.

Definitely over nine thousand. Also, probably closer to 4 million.

Not really. He could've phrased it better so he didn't look like a goon, but hes pretty much asking the difference in force between throwing arm punches compared to proper punches. Not that wild.
I thought he got those responses because hes a white belt and some ppl here feel like forum belts actually carry weight in the real world.

Well the point of the question was to quantify the difference. How hard is an arm punch? umm.... 4 million I guess.

He already knows it's weaker than a proper punch. But by asking for an exact number he ignores how physics and body type effect the punch. I mean, he states that he's knowledgeable and then asks a very dumb question. He asks for a number. So yeah. 4 million works. Why not? Whats the difference between 4 million and 2,000 psi, and 7, when someone's asking you something that cant be answered with numbers?

1941977_o.gif

Trained punchers throw about double the strength untrained fighters do. Ive seen trained fighters hit at around 8 million so your answer is going to be 4 million.

It's actually 4,678,932.43 to be exact...But who's counting

True story.

LMAO!!! Best post of the thread so far.

Picture that scene in your head. I dare you.

enough to kill a rhino i saw it sports science and deadliest warrior

True story.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/boxing/post/_/id/5532/foreman-best-punch-i-ever-threw

He shared a story about how using certain terms can seem cool, and relevant, but usually, those terms can and will explode in your face down the line.

"Back in the 70s, I thought it was cute to have a lion ... until it started to turn on me." the ex fighter told me. "I was doing a promo for ABC, before the Jimmy Young fight (in 1977), and he tried to attack my brother. I defended my brother and the lion tried to kill me."

I could picture that chaotic scene, which occurred at his home in Marshall, Texas, then and now his primary residence. "I threw the best punch I ever threw at the lion, and it missed. I had to save my brother, so I closed my eyes, and threw with all my might. And I missed him ... but he ran to his cage. I loved that lion, but I saw him coming, and saw his teeth, and only then I realized I shouldn't have had the lion. It's like using a bad word, a person will say it at the wrong time, and only then they will know."

I think the best part has to be his story not even answering the question haha. PETA would have fits nowadays. Still think it's great that he earned more from grills than his boxing career. Makes you wonder why he kept embarrassing himself as an announcer for so long! His funeral will be well attended, no doubt about that.

around 4 million but I can't say for certainty

With proper shifting, 4 million.

I can confirm... There was a show on discovery about this, its was something like 3.9-4.1 million. There was a disparity in the reading, something to do with the calibration of the punchometer.
Has anyone else seen this?

Back