How Many High paying sports can a 125 pound man compete at the Top Level ?

Mighty Mouse is like 140-145 when not cutting.

Papu Gomez is 5'-5" and 150 pounds; would probably fight at Flyweight and he does well playing soccer. Messi is a bit bigger but he's still a small guy and obviously does well. Muggsy Bogues was a decent player and he weighed under 140.

EDIT: Also, Lorenzo Insigne is 5'-4" and 130 pounds and is another successful soccer player. Almost forgot him too lol

Obviously being short has its disadvantages in many sports (Isaiah Thomas said something like he'd be GOAT if he was 6'-5" instead of 5'-9" lol), but sometimes high level guys can overcome it.

Last edited:
I think lots of soccer players could be 125ers, or at least 135er

NFL NBA NHL all seem to require some size at this point

The only one of those sports that hasn't had players 5'5, 145 pounds walking weight is the NFL

Most smaller athletes have to be on channels like ESPN 8 The Ocho. In obscure sports. But in the major sports nope. You can say boxing I Guess???

There's some serious money on e-sports.

How many high paying sports WITHOUT WEIGHT CLASSES can a 125 pound man compete at the highest level at ?

NFL nope
NBA nope
Baseball nope
Ice hockey nope
even Soccer and tennis are out

outside of combat sports which have weight categories there are very very few high paying professional sporting options

No one gets rich from the other possibiilties like weightlifitng, gymnastics, olympic wrestling etc

Who are these 125lbs men you are referring to? Because MM weighs about 140lbs when he fights, for example, and he is one of the smallest FLWs. And Neymar (one of the best soccer players in the world) has weighed less than that at one point in his career.

Terrible thread.

How many high paying sports WITHOUT WEIGHT CLASSES can a 125 pound man compete at the highest level at ?

NFL nope
NBA nope
Baseball nope
Ice hockey nope

outside of combat sports which have weight categories there are very very few high paying professional sporting options

No one gets rich from the other possibiilties like weightlifitng, gymnastics, olympic wrestling etc
Golf maybe? Soccer I'm sure has some small guys too

NFL nope
NBA nope
Baseball nope
Ice hockey nope

Do they also cut weight?

Soccer and baseball.

Messi, ichiro, Altuve for starters. Do I need to keep going??

NFL nope
NBA nope
Baseball nope
Ice hockey nope

You ever watch horse racing?

Horse racing. The smaller guy are the better.

Most smaller athletes have to be on channels like ESPN 8 The Ocho. In obscure sports. But in the major sports nope. You can say boxing I Guess???

The triple crown horse racing events (whatever they're called) are major sports - the results are shown on all the major news sources (TV, print, you name it). Horse racing is a much bigger sport than MMA or boxing.

And as several people have pointed out, some of the richest and most famous athletes in the world are small soccer players, the biggest sport in the world.

The triple crown horse racing events (whatever they're called) are major sports - the results are shown on all the major news sources (TV, print, you name it). Horse racing is a much bigger sport than MMA or boxing.

And as several people have pointed out, some of the richest and most famous athletes in the world are small soccer players, the biggest sport in the world.

NFL nope
NBA nope
Baseball nope
Ice hockey nope

it makes more sense to look at relative size rather than the absolute value of 125 lbs.

the NBA, where the majority of players are WELL above average height and size, still had its share of successful smaller players, like Bogues, Webb, and Boykins.

I wouldn't be surprised if Flyweight was the ideal weight class for Jose Altuve had he become a fighter instead of the reigning MLB MVP.

I wouldn't be surprised if Flyweight was the ideal weight class for Jose Altuve had he become a fighter instead of the reigning MLB MVP.

Back