How many gi's do you own? Which one's your favorite?

I've got five (I think)

- One generic judo single weave(useful when I train with judokas- those I know of aren't overly fond of BJJ)

- Two 'Tier 1 Athlete' Gis. I use these in every day class. The material is a bit stiff but so far its held together and the price was low. Definitely try them out if you don't want to dish out a fortune and want to support a smaller brand (otherwise, go for fuji/tatami nova of course)

- Tatami Estilo. Basically my best gi. Wear it for important stuff - like when the Mendes bros come for a seminar or I go to an interclub sparring day etc.

- Tatami Zero G (I think that's what its called?). My competition gi due to how light it is.

I like my Estilo the most btw .

2 BJJ Gis

1 Gameness air gi from 2013. I'm a huge fan, very supple, I did have to shrink it in the dryer for ten minutes (arms were too long) but otherwise very high quality and its held up to 4 months of almost daily training so far.

1 jitsugi top and bottom, was my first bjj gi. Fabric is a bit rough/cheaper feeling but durability wise absolute zero issue, fits me perfectly.

1 Judo gi

Pro-force cheap unbleached gi.

Durable, doesn't feel soft but works perfectly fine and fits me perfectly.

Size-wise and fit is what I look at the most followed by durability. I have a relatively small upper body and large lower body so I sometimes have to buy a size up with the bottoms. I'm A2 top, maybe A2.5 bottom which makes it difficult sometimes. Comfort/softness isn't a huge issue for me as I always have a rashguard on underneath (courtesy for my training partners and makes your gi not quite as sweaty at the end of a session)

BJJ:

3 Isami Sanchikos (Blue, White, and black)

1 White Keiko Raca (Marcelo Garcia model)

Judo:

1 White Mizuno Eurocomp

1 White Mizuno Sempai

1 Blue Fushida Icon

The Isamis are handsdown my favorite, especially my blue one with patched. Least favorite is the Keiko Raca, I picked it up for a killer price on BJJ HQ but the stitching quality is really sub-par compared to my other Gis.

I've got 5.

My favorite is either my black Hayabusa pro (A3) or my Mata Leon Rude Boy (A3).

I like these two because they're light (relatively speaking) and fit me like a glove. I'm 6'0" and 195lbs by the way.

Isami double weave
Essimo Ippon
Mizuno Yusho II
Mizuno Shiai
Black Eagle Predator
Black Eagle Basico
Blitz Lutador
Blitz Kokuba

My favorite lighter weight gi is my Isami. My favorite heavy gi is my Essimo.

I own 3; Reevo and GillSport Gi

I despise the Reevo. Within 6 months it ripped at the armpit. My GillSport Gi's i've had for nearly 10 years and haven't ripped. Are tough and difficult for my opponents to grip and make being collar choked incredibly difficult. The only downside is they are a bit heavier.

I have 6.

Scramble Rebel
Scrabble Athlete (blue)
Shoyoroll Batch 17 (blue)
Custom Fuji pearl weave (school GI)
Inverted Gear Blue Panda
Moya White Sand

The rebel is my favorite just cause it is so different. My SYR fits the best but it's the lightest weight I have so I wear it sparingly. The SK Athlete is a little to long in the pants but otherwise fits well. My school GI is week made and fits like a glove. The panda is the heaviest and will last for a long time, but I don't wear it in the summer is too hot. I haven't worn the Moya since I found out what a pos he is, been meaning to take all the patches off and cover the embroidery but I haven't gotten around to it.

Isami double weave
Essimo Ippon
Mizuno Yusho II
Mizuno Shiai
Black Eagle Predator
Black Eagle Basico
Blitz Lutador
Blitz Kokuba

My favorite lighter weight gi is my Isami. My favorite heavy gi is my Essimo.

I'm thinking of buying the Essimo ippon but I'm not sure on the sizing/shrinkage etc.

Anything you could share regarding it?

My go to gi is currently the fighting films black label but it's a little baggy and I don't currently have a white gi, and with competition season coming up for me over the next few months I need to invest in a decent white gi.

I'm 6 foot, 83-87kg depending on the week and so I was thinking of getting the 175 in slim fit.

in total I own:
4 BJJ gi's (vulkan pro light, Toro BJJ, 2 Muae Gi's
4 Judo gi's (3 mizunos and 1 Toraki)

My favorite BJJ Gi Top is my Toro BJJ gi top.
My favorite BJJ Gi pants are the Muae Brand's pants

The discontinued Mizuno double weave Eurocomp is bar none my favorite Judo gi. Period.

What do you look for in a good gi?

Since a year ago I returned to judo so I have:

-A good no brand white judogui which I use the most and is around 750/2 gr
-A Black Tiger made in my country which is very comfortable and feels kind of soft but at the same is around 800/2 gr.

-An Adidas which is 930/2 gr and I have used it in a tournament and in a few training sessions because it takes so much to dry, specially in winter !!!!!!!!!!!
This is the best gi in quality but I bought with little use and it was an old model without the stripes, the current model cost almost like a minimum salary here !

If I ever go back to BJJ I

I have 7, mainly because my weekly training days are back-to-back-to-back-to...

4 judogi. Two Fuji single weaves (white/blue), which were good when I was first starting, because they're dirt cheap ($40 each), and because they air dried pretty fast. I also have two Mizuno Yusho Comps (white/blue), which are very recent purchases that I got for competition. They feel like silk body armor, for lack of a better description. I love them, and I doubt I'll wear the Fujis anymore unless the weather gets too hot. My one and only complaint is that they take FOREVER to dry, which I think is a side effect of them being pseudo double weaves.

I believe that the genius that could make a double weave that feels and dries like one of those BJJ gold or light weaves will become rich ha...

1 blue BJJ gi and 1 white Judo gi. Both single weaves but they are both very sturdy. I like the blue better because it is way easier to clean. Should have bought a blue Judo gi and a black BJJ gi instead.

i used to have a bunch, but sold them all off except for two. both of them are kingz 420 v2 ripstop, one in black, and one in blue. they fit like kingz made them just for me.

I'm thinking of buying the Essimo ippon but I'm not sure on the sizing/shrinkage etc.

Anything you could share regarding it?

My go to gi is currently the fighting films black label but it's a little baggy and I don't currently have a white gi, and with competition season coming up for me over the next few months I need to invest in a decent white gi.

I'm 6 foot, 83-87kg depending on the week and so I was thinking of getting the 175 in slim fit.

I'm 185cm and 98kg and the size 5 fits me nicely. The gi isn't baggy like a Japanese gi, so maybe the slim fit won't be necessary - email him, you'll get a quick response.

I have 2. A double weave and a single. I prefer the single because it breaths better

I'm 185cm and 98kg and the size 5 fits me nicely. The gi isn't baggy like a Japanese gi, so maybe the slim fit won't be necessary - email him, you'll get a quick response.

The size 5 is 190, I usually always go smaller with gis. I'm 182 and have a 175 at the moment.

Yeah I think I'll have to, thanks for the help.

i have three ratty eurocomps, two white, one blue. they've served me well. blue gi is war gi because it hides bloodstains the best.

My favorites in this order.

1. Fuji
2. Padilla & Sons gold weave
3. Submission fc hemp sensation , yea I know it's not hemp, still pretty comfy
4. Ctrl industries

I've had a gang of other that's either worn out or they sucked so I sold them on ebay

4-5. Fushida CompGS is my favorite by far.

Back