How many fights a year should a fighter have?

3 fights a month or you get cut. Travis Fulton has the right idea, he ain't no puss

I think 3 would be ideal.

It's hard to determine where a fighter's truly at or say he's the "goat" when he's only fighting once every 1 1/2 years.

I like that guys like Rory quickly got fights booked for early next year just after coming off a fight. None of this waiting years to fight nonsense.

From what I have read, the typical length for a training camp is around 12 weeks (3 months).

Well, if we multiply this by 3 fights, then the fighter would be training and fighting nonstop for 9 months. This leaves them with only 3 months of rest total (or just 1 month of rest between fights). This is most likely not enough time to rest if the fighters sustain moderate or more serious injuries.

at least 4 for fighters in their primes. fighters should take advantage of their primes. i think rory macdonald thinks this way; i know koscheck thought this way, too.

i dont fight so i cant truly bitch, okay? just getting that out of the way.

but fighters are taking too much time. i have a feeling that these 10-week camps are just too much. there's always so much emphasis on timing because fighters want to peak physically and have sufficient time to carefully cut weight. i'm not offering any alternative, because i know jack shit about the human body, but i have a feeling that fighters can get into shape and fight after 4-6 weeks. i think it's the coaches who emphasize the perfect camp and act like masters of the human body that may be drawing things out.

i dont want it to be like matt hughes, training 2 weeks for sherk, but fighters should try to get away from needing the perfect 8-10 week camp, getting injured/cut around the 4 week mark, taking 8 months to rehab/gain weight, and booking a fight 5 months down the road.

my only advice is to take advantage of being in shape, take advantage of winning clean with no injuries, and stay in shape sometimes. somebody who is young and has just walked through his opponent with no harm done should stay in shape and try to fight very soon. kinda like gsp, rory, and hendricks.

At least 4. At least.

that's too much for a seasoned fighter. four ten week training camps, then three weeks off=52 weeks. the body needs more recovery time. IMO, younger guys can do this sort of thing, but there's a reason we don't see champions defending 4xs a year. they wouldn't be champions if the had to maintain that schedule.

Back