How many fighters has Joe Rogan called “the greatest”?

• Thread starter Deleted member 465145
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 465145

I was searching for a bit and couldn’t find a master list, which is a bit surprising because I feel like Joe has referred to just about everyone who enters the cage as the greatest (either of all time, at a particular thing, or “he’s the ________est ever!”). Of course a lot of this is just shameless shilling, but I am curious what the numbers would look like. Off the top of my head I recall these:
Khabib
Jones
GSP
Silva
Stipe
Ngannou
Joanna
Aldo
Holloway
No wait not Holloway Aldo again
MM
Cejudo
Nunes
Cyborg
Ronda
No wait not Ronda Cyborg again
Izzy
Barao
Askren
Cruz
Weidman
McGregor
Couture
Penn

I am sure there are more instances but those are the names I can recall being mentioned, sometimes pretty flippantly, within the last decade. Any others?
Edit: adding names others have mentioned in good faith

Last edited by a moderator:
I was searching for a bit and couldn’t find a master list, which is a bit surprising because I feel like Joe has referred to just about everyone who enters the cage as the greatest (either of all time, at a particular thing, or “he’s the ________est ever!”). Of course a lot of this is just shameless shilling, but I am curious what the numbers would look like. Off the top of my head I recall these:
Khabib
Jones
GSP
Silva
Stipe
Ngannou
Joanna
Aldo
Holloway
MM
Cejudo
Nunes
Cyborg
Ronda
Izzy

I am sure there are more instances but those are the names I can recall being mentioned, sometimes pretty flippantly, within the last decade. Any others?
I'm thinking Ben Askren
Funnily enough, I don't think he ever mentioned Fedor as the greatest anything

Barao at one point. He once compared him to Tyson and that the TJ vs Barao upset was greater than Tyson vs Buster Douglas.

At this point, who hasn’t he called the greatest? UFC hyperbole about fighters being ‘the best ever’ is absurd. There is a new ‘best ever’ approximately once a month or so. Totally ridiculous. The media feeds into it as well, purely for clicks.

I think Anderson was the first guy he consistently started calling the greatest of all time.

Rogan Roganizes. Not news.

Khabib
Jones
GSP
Silva
Stipe
Ngannou
Joanna
Aldo
Holloway
MM
Cejudo
Nunes
Cyborg
Ronda
Izzy

It might be all the drugs but he believes some of his B.S........

I'm thinking Ben Askren
Funnily enough, I don't think he ever mentioned Fedor as the greatest anything
I forgot about Askren but I’m pretty sure he got hyperbolic about him

At this point, who hasn’t he called the greatest? UFC hyperbole about fighters being ‘the best ever’ is absurd. There is a new ‘best ever’ approximately once a month or so. Totally ridiculous. The media feeds into it as well, purely for clicks.
The Ronda stuff was the most absurd but yes absurb is the word for it. It is ridiculous and he doesn't realize he's ruining the sport by encouraging the hype instead of the substance. The substance of great fights and great fighters is what makes this sport awesome.

The Ronda stuff was the most absurd but yes absurb is the word for it. It is ridiculous and he doesn't realize he's ruining the sport by encouraging the hype instead of the substance. The substance of great fights and great fighters is what makes this sport awesome.

The total lack of perspective and historical contextualisation drives me up the wall. Remember when they tried to promote Cejudo as ‘the greatest combat sports athlete of all time’? It’s so glaring and forced that it detracts from the sporting magnificence of what he did.

Anyone who has won in convincing matter against an opponent he calls the greatest.

Imagine being as hyperbolic as Rogan and White in a sport that was in its infancy in the 1990s and is only now gaining widespread mainstream coverage.

Nobody gives a shit. Only dorks here do

All of them, in MMA there is a greatest around every card, he is paid to hype things, he works FOR the UFC, what is he going to say when he comments shit fights? "This shit is crap, you should be watching Bellator instead", that could be this weekend, but the point is, he gets paid to hype their product up, the closest thing to a real talk about WMMA quality was Nunes's last 145 title defense, they realized there is no division...on air.

Back