How many days a week do you train?

4 times per week...

Monday 1.5 - hours
Tuesday 2 - hours
Wednesday 1.5 - hours
Saturday 3.5 - hours

At least 2 x. Usually 3-4. Tourney time 5-6.

I vary the intensity and sparring times based on how I feel.

how much would you guys say is too little or too much in terms of days and actual mat time?

That is a good question. The risk in overtraining is injury and burnout that could lead to stopping BJJ all together. I can't count the number of guys I have seen doing 5 days a week full bore for a tournament give up Jiu Jitsu soon afterward.

It is all about balance. The answer is probably different for each person.

Think of yourself like a cook. Use a training recipe of someone successful. Then alter it a little bit here and there. I train without Advil or ice for the most part. I have a pretty good understanding of how my body works. It took me many years and a couple blows to my ego to figure it out.

I would love to train more, but for now I am only able to make it to 2 classes/week which is 3 hours/week.

I train BJJ 4-6 times a week, which is about 8 to 12 hours. I train Judo 1-4 times a week depending on how I'm feeling. The schedule doesn't work for me because its 9-11pm and I wake up at 4am. So if I'm lucky I get 20 hours a week worth of grappling.

6 days a week:
Mon: 1 hr conditioning, 2 hrs judo, 1 hr kajukenbo, 2 hrs BJJ
Tues: 1 hr kickboxing, 4 hrs kajukenbo
Wed: 1 hr conditioning, 2 hrs BJJ, 1 hr kajukenbo, 2 hrs BJJ no-gi
Thur: 1 hr kickboxing, 4 hrs kajukenbo
Fri: 1 hr conditioning, 2 hrs aikido
Sat: 3 hrs BJJ no gi

and then I roll with a few different people during the week, maybe another 1-3 hrs/week.

5 days a week, 5 - 7 classes (due to my schedule I can't always make every wrestling practice)

Monday - wrestling (1 hr) and No-Gi (1.5 hrs)
Tuesday - BJJ (1.5 hrs)
Wednesay - wrestling (1 hr) and No-Gi (1.5 hrs)
Thursday - BJJ (1.5 hrs)
Saturday - No-Gi (1 hr)

A minimum of 3-4 days a week and if I can I do more. 6-8 hours of mat time.

I also box and do a lot of cross training.

Combination of work and living in two places means I only make it twice a week (3 hours) during term-time, then three times a week (4.5 hours) outside of term.

Back