How many calories does a professional MMA fighter eat a day?

The Invisible

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
A fighter of let's say, 155-170 pounds. And what kind of macro's? Lots of carbs? Lots of fats? Ofcourse lots of protein.

Research john berardi and gsp diet.
/ cutting. You will get an idea what he was eating and that should answer it.

Let's see, I got a Judo study:
https://combatsports.edu.pl/api/files/view/10622.pdf

An assessment of diet among high – rank professional judo athletes
The table says about 3000 calories per day, 367 grams of carbs, 150 grams of protein and 106 grams of fat. And 2.3 litres of water (78 oz. or something in imperial).

And the, I also have this one:
https://academic.oup.com/jn/article/127/5/874S/4724166

Which includes a table about average caloric intake of elite athletes in different countries. Hope that helps.

I dont fight anymore. But i still train 6-12 times a week.

I eat between 4-5 k calories a day.

I weight around 74 kg

Depends on how active, how muscular, and intense the training is. More active you are, the more your maintenance ends up being. Also, if you're on the juice that changes things alot

I'm ammy, but train 6 days a week, 3 of those days being twice a day. My maintenance is 3500 calories

Not as much as the average Sherdogger

Depends on your metabolism and activity, guys like black beast or roy nelson are not going to be eating tons of calories even ifmthey train hard because the cut to 265.

Boxer manny pacquiao had to eat over 6 thousand calories a day just to maintain 145 pounds.

I’ve wondered this as well. I’m 36, 6’1” 190lbs and my maintenance calories is 3250. I don’t train mma, or do much cardio. I do general lifting for 20-30 mins a day. I am moving most of the day for work and playing with my kids, etc. it would seem that a pro mma fighter training long hours many times a week would need 5000 or more calories a day

I’ve wondered this as well. I’m 36, 6’1” 190lbs and my maintenance calories is 3250. I don’t train mma, or do much cardio. I do general lifting for 20-30 mins a day. I am moving most of the day for work and playing with my kids, etc. it would seem that a pro mma fighter training long hours many times a week would need 5000 or more calories a day

Read my post with GSP pre cutting, 3200-3500 s his maintenance at his prime.

lots of protein very little carbs loads of veggies and fats

I dont fight anymore. But i still train 6-12 times a week.

I eat between 4-5 k calories a day.

I weight around 74 kg
6-12 work outs a week? How do you manage it? What is your work out regimen if you don't mind me asking?

A fighter of let's say, 155-170 pounds. And what kind of macro's? Lots of carbs? Lots of fats? Ofcourse lots of protein.

im inactive but ima 170 pro if were talking off season i dont have a fight coming up i prob intake around 2700-3000 when have a fight coming up around 2500t 2000 at last 3 weeks or so

as far as protein/carbs/fats ect i usually just make sure to eat 1 pound of meat daily a good bit of carbs for energy and fat usually comes from meat or some nuts and black berries for myfruit

Depends on your metabolism and activity, guys like black beast or roy nelson are not going to be eating tons of calories even ifmthey train hard because the cut to 265.

Boxer manny pacquiao had to eat over 6 thousand calories a day just to maintain 145 pounds.

this.. at 20 i noticed my metabolism stopped due to some harsh cutting in my teenage years from competing so even with hard training if i go over 3000 day ill get fat

Depends on how active, how muscular, and intense the training is. More active you are, the more your maintenance ends up being. Also, if you're on the juice that changes things alot

I'm ammy, but train 6 days a week, 3 of those days being twice a day. My maintenance is 3500 calories

I am a big fan of volume training. So thats a big part of my need for that many calories. I have many solo-session every week. Maybe as often as 5 days a week. A typical solo session look like this.

- Light warmup. (stretching and shadowbox type of movements)
- 10 x 3 min rounds on the bags. Boxing only
- 10 x 3 min rounds on the bags. Muay Thai. Often i will spam the right kick often.
- 100 knees and 100 push-kicks (or other straight kicks)
- Stretching
- Between each round i do 30 push-ups, 30 sit-ups, 20 dips, or 10 pull-ups in the break. So if i choose sit-ups, that will be 600 sit-ups after 20 rounds on the bag.

So the solo session are 4 or 5 days a week. I will also do at least 4 sessions with the guys at the gym. This training will be 2 hours of normal martial arts stuff. padwork, drilling, sparring, clinching, ect ect.

I try to do 1-2 session during a week with either strenght work or go for a normal run. But this is not as important as the solo session or normal gym trainings.

Impossible to say, surely? Depends on how much they work out.

My brother does Ironman and he can eat whatever the hell he wants.

Frode you talk to much never was a legit fighter, did a Muay Thai fight for tourists.

Or to make sure, how many ammy and pro fights did you have Frode ?

Back