How many calories do you burn doing BJJ?

I wish we could get some serious peer reviewed studies into this subject. That would be awesome information to have.

A calorie is a unit of energy. We tend to associate calories with food, but they apply to anything containing energy. For example, a gallon (about 4 liters) of gasoline contains about 31,000,000 calories.

Specifically, a calorie is the amount of energy, or heat, it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit). One calorie is equal to 4.184 joules, a common unit of energy used in the physical sciences.

Most of us think of calories in relation to food, as in "This can of soda has 200 calories." It turns out that the calories on a food package are actually kilocalories (1,000 calories = 1 kilocalorie). The word is sometimes capitalized to show the difference, but usually not. A food calorie contains 4,184 joules. A can of soda containing 200 food calories contains 200,000 regular calories, or 200 kilocalories. A gallon of gasoline contains 31,000 kilocalories.

Thanks for the copy&paste lesson that has almost no relevance to the discussion at hand.

I think it is a lot more than most people are saying on here. I know that if I train twice a day (about 2.5 hours per session) and eat about 2000-2500 calories, I generally lose 1-1.5 lbs in a day!. That would mean that I would be burning over 1000 calories an hour. I don't think it actually works exactly like this though because in reality by doing bjj you are increasing your metabolism throughout the entire day and not just during the hours you are training. I should also probably mention that I am 20 years old and weigh 150-155 since age and weight will probably change those numbers as well.

A calorie is a unit of energy. We tend to associate calories with food, but they apply to anything containing energy. For example, a gallon (about 4 liters) of gasoline contains about 31,000,000 calories.

Specifically, a calorie is the amount of energy, or heat, it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius (1.8 degrees Fahrenheit). One calorie is equal to 4.184 joules, a common unit of energy used in the physical sciences.

Most of us think of calories in relation to food, as in "This can of soda has 200 calories." It turns out that the calories on a food package are actually kilocalories (1,000 calories = 1 kilocalorie). The word is sometimes capitalized to show the difference, but usually not. A food calorie contains 4,184 joules. A can of soda containing 200 food calories contains 200,000 regular calories, or 200 kilocalories. A gallon of gasoline contains 31,000 kilocalories.

This post reminds me of those Bing commercials where people just spouting out random info when people talk to them lol.

It would be great to know an accurate number but it would be really hard because there are so many different levels of intensity between positions and rolling partners etc.

I think it is a lot more than most people are saying on here. I know that if I train twice a day (about 2.5 hours per session) and eat about 2000-2500 calories, I generally lose 1-1.5 lbs in a day!. That would mean that I would be burning over 1000 calories an hour. I don't think it actually works exactly like this though because in reality by doing bjj you are increasing your metabolism throughout the entire day and not just during the hours you are training. I should also probably mention that I am 20 years old and weigh 150-155 since age and weight will probably change those numbers as well.

Water weight and glycogen.

400-700 would probably be a safe guess, but it is just a guess.

The website that had BJJ burning significantly more than wrestling lost all credibility. That shit's just daft.

You realize a lot of that is probably water weight and people can fluctuate +/- 10 pounds a day?

You realize a lot of that is probably water weight and people can fluctuate +/- 10 pounds a day?

I do, but I keep hydrated and I can consistently lose weight at that pace for a week or so at a time. For worlds this year I went from 155 to 145 in a week and a half eating 2000 calories a day and training twice a day. I was perfectly hydrated to. It is true that some of that weight lost could have been glycogen, but even so I am pretty sure the majority of the weight lost was fat, I could notice a major difference in muscle tone which is why I think this, and my weight would never fluctuate 10 lbs in a day, maybe if I was 250 that would be possible, but at 150 there is no way unless I was either purposely dehydrating myself or stuffing myself as full of food as I possibly could.

As some have said, it varies, but I think the 700 per hour figure probably means what you burn just straight rolling. Normally our gym has a 15 minute warmup, about 45 minutes to an hour of rolling, and 30+ minutes of rolling. So I'd guess it's probably somewhere around that 700 mark. On boxing nights, I wouldn't be surprised if I was burning well over 1000

One of my teammates wore a heart rate belt for our strength and conditioning class a few months back. this is the date he collected. hope it helps. The Angry Hick Strength & Conditioning Warm-up by tightywhiteyfighty at Garmin Connect - Details

That's interesting, although that was S&C and not open mat rolling, right? Also, how much did your teammate weigh at the time?

All the previously cited numbers seem really low. At 200 pounds, based on the information from my own heart rate monitor, I have burnt 800 calories an hour or more doing intervals on a stairclimber, and my RPE is significantly lower doing that than while I'm rolling for an hour. I don't think it's far fetched to assume that someone my weight rolling hard (like preparing for a comp) could easily burn over 1000 calories an hour.

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal has a tool that tracks calories burned through all sorts of exercise. It gives a 5 minute wrestling match 28 calories. That's it. When I use it to track my weight loss (you can track food there, too), I put in the warmups that we do as calisthenics and each round sparred as 5 minutes of wrestling.

I wear a HR monitor for various reasons when working out (S&C, not BJJ) and have wanted to wear it for a training session to get an estimate of avg HR and cals burned. Obviously I wouldn't be able to wear the watch that receives the data from the chest strap while rolling and I don't know if I'd be able to stay close enough to the edge of the mat or wherever I kept the watch to make sure it didn't stop receiving. I'll see how far I can get from the watch and maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend.

The use of calories to measure exercise is bullshit. When a treadmill tells me I've burned x number of calories, based solely on the speed I'm running, am I to believe that a 300lb guy running at the same speed would be using the same amount of energy (I weigh around 165lb)? I think not.

The use of calories to measure exercise is bullshit. When a treadmill tells me I've burned x number of calories, based solely on the speed I'm running, am I to believe that a 300lb guy running at the same speed would be using the same amount of energy (I weigh around 165lb)? I think not.

Aren't you supposed to enter weight, age and gender, plus have your heart rate measured on those things? I really don't know to much about it, but that's how I remember it from my brief career as an indoor runner.

Aren't you supposed to enter weight, age and gender, plus have your heart rate measured on those things? I really don't know to much about it, but that's how I remember it from my brief career as an indoor runner.

Yes.

That's why all of these calorie burning guides are totally inaccurate.

For a proper calculation, yes. But how many machines allow for that? The ones I use just give you a calorie readout anyway, without that info. It's bollocks.

When I was losing weight (190 to 160) I was keeping very detailed track of all my calories. I wasn't doing anything but BJJ and had a sedentary job. I assumed I was burning 800 calories per hour of active rolling (taking rest out), and about half of that for active drilling (again, taking rest out). My actual weight loss fell almost exactly in line with my projected weight loss .

YMMV

i have this calorie burner on my iphone (called lose weight)

it say for amount of calories burned during jiuijtsu

15 min 218 calories burned
30 min 435 calories burned
45 min 653 calories burned
1 hour 870 calories burned
1 1/2 hours 1305 calories burned

I think the most accurate way to measure is by using a heart-rate monitor which of course, will show different results at different body weights and athletic abilities.
Ive been planning on doing a test once and measure it with one of those Polar monitors.

Back