How many BJJ gyms are there in the U.S. now?

Fedorzilla

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I know that there are a ton of MMA schools and submission wrestling schools where people train no-gi and/or have a no-gi jiu jitsu instructor. Obviously a school offering muay thai classes wouldn't exclude a school, but I'm not thinking about Pat Miletich here.

I'm talking about traditional BJJ gyms, where people train in the gi and the primary focus is jiu jitsu.

Is there a listing of this somewhere?

10,000+ I'd guess.

Edit: Probably more like several hundred if you mean STRICTLY gi.

with Black Belt instructors - 9,423
with Brown Belt instructors - 5,450
with Purple Belt instructors - 4,434
with Blue belt instructors - 2,343
with non-graded instructors -145

:icon_chee

with Black Belt instructors - 9,423
with Brown Belt instructors - 5,450
with Purple Belt instructors - 4,434
with Blue belt instructors - 2,343
with non-graded instructors -145

:icon_chee

Just curious, not saying this is wrong, but where did these numbers come from? I would imagine there would be more non-graded instructors. A lot of scammers out there preying on people who don't know better. I can think of 2 or three just in my area.

I wonder which state in the us has the least bjj schools

I wonder which state in the us has the least bjj schools

Alaska.
We have 2 that I know of for sure with graded instructors. I'm not sure who is in charge at our Gracie affiliate though, the BB was fired for stealing money from them(Not confirmed, just the word I heard). And Anchorage BJJ has two 4 stripe browns.

this... was not exactly constructive feedback.

There seems to be a good resource here Academies, Schools, Clubs, Dojos

I'm just not sure how reliable it is and/or whether it's updated.

Edit: just got my purple belt in Sherdogjitsu... maybe should post a new thread

Alaska.
We have 2 that I know of for sure with graded instructors. I'm not sure who is in charge at our Gracie affiliate though, the BB was fired for stealing money from them(Not confirmed, just the word I heard). And Anchorage BJJ has two 4 stripe browns.

Interesting, thanks!

Back