How many bJJ black belts in canada

A few updates that haven't been mentioned yet!

-Mike Yakulic (Arashi-do North-Edmonton, AB) was promoted to Black Belt in May 2009
*Mike is the only person in Alberta to hold a Black Belt in BJJ and a Black Belt in another martial art (Karate).
-Rodrigo Rensende is a BJJ Black Belt teaching at Legends Training Center in Edmonton, AB
-Also Luke Harris was recently promoted to Brown Belt and is teaching at Hayabusa Training Center in St. Albert, AB and I wouldn't be surprised if he advances to Black Belt pretty quickly, apparently he blew away Dana White and other UFC reps in the grappling portion at the Ultimate Fighter 9 tryouts before it was decided that the show would be heavyweights only!

A few updates that haven't been mentioned yet!

-Mike Yakulic (Arashi-do North-Edmonton, AB) was promoted to Black Belt in May 2009
*Mike is the only person in Alberta to hold a Black Belt in BJJ and a Black Belt in another martial art (Karate).
-Rodrigo Rensende is a BJJ Black Belt teaching at Legends Training Center in Edmonton, AB
-Also Luke Harris was recently promoted to Brown Belt and is teaching at Hayabusa Training Center in St. Albert, AB and I wouldn't be surprised if he advances to Black Belt pretty quickly, apparently he blew away Dana White and other UFC reps in the grappling portion at the Ultimate Fighter 9 tryouts before it was decided that the show would be heavyweights only!

Rodrigo is a second degree blackbelt in BJJ. He also teaches as Spirit Tae Kwon Do and Elite Tae Kwon Do in addition to Legends. Each of the clubs has a different feel to it.
Rodrigo is also a third degree Black Belt in Judo. So Mike isn't the only person to hold a Black Belt in another art. Rodrigo also competed at the European Opens this year.

You can add Troy Scheer to the list, got his Black Belt from Prof.Marcus Soares

Pat Cooligan is in Ottawa. I don't know if he promoted any black belts because I don't train with him, but chances are he'll one day promote Mark Holst who's now in the UFC.

Pat Cooligan is in Ottawa. I don't know if he promoted any black belts because I don't train with him, but chances are he'll one day promote Mark Holst who's now in the UFC.

there's a few brown belts. Matt Hache teaches at Pat's gym and is a brown belt and will be a black belt in the near future for sure!

there are the Canadian black belts promoted by Marcus Soares who is in Vancouver

Denis Kang, promoted on July 2004
Omar Salvosa, promoted on September 2005 in affiliate in Toronto
Stephan Kesting, promoted on December 2006
Vlado Skrepnik, promoted on December 2006
Adam Ryan, promoted on December 2006 Owns Dynamic MMA
Adam Zugec, promoted on March 2008 Oewns Zuma MMA
Mark Stables, promoted on June 2008 affiliate in Toronto
Maurice Parry, promoted on November 2009
Clint 'Sanguebom' Allert, promoted on August 2010 affiliate in Burlington Ontario Toronto
Troy Scheer promoted on October 2010 affiliate in Saskatoon Sask
Tom Montes promoted on November 2010

Vancouver Martial Arts, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, BJJ, Submission Wrestling, Grappling

There is also
Don Whitefield
Tim Shears GB Van
Super Dave GB van
Jeff Mazeros GB Van
Shane Rice Rickson Vancouver
Bibiano Fernandes

There are a lot on Ont and Que now these days

Rodrigo Munduruca in Winnipeg.
Kyle (I can't remember his last name) in Sherwood Park Alberta.

Kyle Cardinal. Corner man for Tim Hague and teaches at Lets Roll in Sherwood Park, Alberta.

Rodrigo Rensende's CIA Paulista cohort, Edgard Lucke is teaching in New Brunswick; Oromocto on Wed and Sat, and Saint John on Monday and Friday,

There are definitely more since this thread started:

Jake MacKenzie, from Truro, NS

Misty Shearer who teaches in Edmonton AB

I think there was a comprehensive list on the UG's Canada forum.

Rodrigo is a second degree blackbelt in BJJ. He also teaches as Spirit Tae Kwon Do and Elite Tae Kwon Do in addition to Legends. Each of the clubs has a different feel to it.
Rodrigo is also a third degree Black Belt in Judo. So Mike isn't the only person to hold a Black Belt in another art. Rodrigo also competed at the European Opens this year.

Sorry... I meant he was the first to hold a BJJ black belt and one from another art, not the only one to do so!

Hayabusa Training Center in St Albert (Just outside Edmonton) just got a new BJJ instructor a few months ago by the name of Paulo Azambuja, he holds a BJJ Black belt under Roberto "Cyborg" Abreu

Didnt care to read the whole thread, but I dont know if anybody post this :

black

so, about a hundred black belt in Canada...

jennifer weintz is a brown belt from vancouver - bad ass and damn hot to boot.

FYI - JOsh Russell got his BB in 3 1/2 yrs from Carlos GRacie in Barra Tijcua. pretty damn impressive.

Syl Mulroney is actually Sylvain Moroney, brother of Danny Moroney and one of the first canadian born blackbelts in brazilian jiu-jitsu. He has formed David Domini who now trains with Rob Veltman I think.
The Moroneys Academy is Bravado : Bravado Jiu-Jitsu Academy

He's listed on the BJJ canada list, but I'm surprised no one else has mentioned!

Chris Robinson in Newmarket? He heads Royler Gracie's Canadian branch of the RGDA.

Back