How long until horse racing is banned?

https://www.thedodo.com/traditional-horse-fighting-in--415238068.html

The Chinese apparently have a hard-on for horse fights
Oh yah, the Koreans too! There is a brutal game Buzkashi that they play in central Asia where they use a dead goat as the ball an ram their horses into cement walls at full speed! And just to think, in the west we are crying about pampered million dollar race horses getting tapped with a safety steering tool 3 times in a minute race <Lmaoo>

It's funny, our ancestors worked with horses all day, every day. They depended on them to eat and live, so they took the best care of them; a dead or hurt horse = you starve. They had no problem with racing and they all used crops or whips. Now a days tho, people are more out of shape, soft and disconnected from the horse ever, but apparently pink haired PETA couch potatoes know everything about horses <45>Dunning Kruger at it's finest.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/n...-footage-shows-former-race-horses-killed.html

I guess Kurt Cobian died 'humanely' by your standards then

that would entail a death that doesn't exacerbate their pain; I'm not sure you know what that word even means.
You are cherry picking an anomalous event - I already expounded on the fact that yes people do shoot horses, but the protocols for the race track is for a vet to euthanize the horse. A bullet to a horses head is how many back yard people still do it = better to put the horse out of misery immediately than to let it suffer and wait hours for a vet to come. In ww1, when everyone used horses, they gave all the soldiers manuals to humanely shoot their horse if the horse got hurt - a bullet to the head is by far one of the most painless ways to die. Got any better alternatives? Cobain did it that way vs jumping off a building as it is much less painful.

You do realize how all your meat comes too your dinner plate, right? They shoot them in the head with an air gun if they are lucky, if not, they slit their throats. It is very easy to cherry pick outliers and say 'it is all like this'. I can bring up fighters with CTE or doing violent things like war machine or joe son, then say all MMA should be banned.

If racing is banned btw, what do you think will happen to the millions of race horses? They are all going to be humanely euthanized with medicine or they will all live happily ever after? NO. Horses are incredibly expensive to care for and the money generated from the racing industry is the only mechanism in which ex race horses are cared for at rescues like Old Friends. Millions would be getting bullets to the heads, economies like Kentucky will collapses, tens of thousands of people that love animals take care of horses will lose their job, and people like me that actually dedicate my life to horses and got into them because of horses like Pharlap and secretariat never get into horses again.

No, everything about racing is not perfect. There are people that break the rules. Racing should keep trying to do better. However, there really are no pretty alternatives. Look at the Haskell video when they took away the crop: a wreck happened and the jock broke many bones and the horse was hurt.

havent read the whole thread.

It wont be banned. Ever. The end.

@GeneTunney7 Loving the insights into the training aspect.

LOL at the fuck wits arguing with him. The guy obviously knows his shit.

If you want to nit pick you can find "cruelty" in near every aspect of human animal interaction.

@GeneTunney7 Loving the insights into the training aspect.

LOL at the fuck wits arguing with him. The guy obviously knows his shit.

If you want to nit pick you can find "cruelty" in near every aspect of human animal interaction.
Thanks, man! Horses and training is my life, and tho I know racing aint perfect, what all the alternatives? Kill a million thoroughbreds, set them loose in the wild, watch economies collapse? I even debunked the whip issues, and when they took it away for one race in the Haskell a horse wrecked and a jockey nearly got paralyzed as he was run over by two horses at full speed. It is so easy to judge from the sidelines, especially when you do not know about that world.

This world we live in is trending towards a dangerous place over all, where the mob of dilettantes are starting to make the rules. I don't know of one top horseman that thinks whips are dangerous to horses or they should be banned, horses are 1300 pounds of raw muscle - your average person tho that has never picked a horses hoof in it's life do think they should be banned tho. Dunning Kruger run amuck in clown world.

Thanks, man! Horses and training is my life, and tho I know racing aint perfect, what all the alternatives? Kill a million thoroughbreds, set them loose in the wild, watch economies collapse? I even debunked the whip issues, and when they took it away for one race in the Haskell a horse wrecked and a jockey nearly got paralyzed as he was run over by two horses at full speed. It is so easy to judge from the sidelines, especially when you do not know about that world.

This world we live in is trending towards a dangerous place over all, where the mob of dilettantes are starting to make the rules. I don't know of one top horseman that thinks whips are dangerous to horses or they should be banned, horses are 1300 pounds of raw muscle - your average person tho that has never picked a horses hoof in it's life do think they should be banned tho. Dunning Kruger run amuck in clown world.
I am just the average Joe that enjoys the races. Being Aussie its a HUGE part of our culture.

Have I thought in the past "the jockies going a bit hard?", Sure! Have I ever thought about "lets cancel this whole industry REEEEE kekek lelel!" Fuck no! As you have said extremists, teenagers and people who have no bleedin idea tend to spew this nonsense.

As probably the only pro horse trainer on all of Sherdog, I am telling you that you do need the whips. The following race has been run for 50 years and this past running was the first time in history that they ever were not allowed to use whips (time stamped for you, so you only have to watch like 10 seconds):

The whip is much more important for steering than speed. You either show it to the horse and they veer away from the pressure, or you tap them on the front shoulder or rear hind and they will yield to the pressure. If people that know nothing about these incredibly complex and dangerous animals start calling the shots, you get exactly what happened in the Haskell.

I disagree. I have experience with horses though not racing professionally. If you show a horse falling over i will show you ten falling with whips. You can race a horse without a whip. You use different techniques or adapt.

lmao you couldn't be anymore pretentious; you have no idea <45><Lmaoo>

Didn't know loving animals but still recognizing how the world revolves around the rich is pretentious.

I hate animal sports, I disliked Zoo. But they aren't going away because them being there make rich people richer.

Still treated better than the chicken you eat

Oh yah, the Koreans too! There is a brutal game Buzkashi that they play in central Asia where they use a dead goat as the ball an ram their horses into cement walls at full speed! And just to think, in the west we are crying about pampered million dollar race horses getting tapped with a safety steering tool 3 times in a minute race <Lmaoo>

It's funny, our ancestors worked with horses all day, every day. They depended on them to eat and live, so they took the best care of them; a dead or hurt horse = you starve. They had no problem with racing and they all used crops or whips. Now a days tho, people are more out of shape, soft and disconnected from the horse ever, but apparently pink haired PETA couch potatoes know everything about horses <45>Dunning Kruger at it's finest.

lmao wtf that dude shoved him into the fucking hole, lmao looks more brutal to the people

2 years later horse racing is still around. Been going to the races since I was a kid and seeing a real thoroughbred up close and in action is pretty damn amazing. It's not your typical horse/pony ride horse. I do think aspects of horse racing can be cleaned up (the doping, finding a safer turf) but hopefully it never goes away.

It might be banned sooner than later in western countries but it wont ever be banned in non western countries

Well people can't see between the lines on certain subjects they shouldn't be qualified in discussing. I wouldn't class this as animal cruelty. It's a short race ffs... they're not whipping that horse for 12 hours straight out of the damn day.

No they dont, lol! They euthanize the horses that get hurt and can not be saved. Yes, people around the world do shoot horses - which is actually a fairly humane method when done correctly - but they have a vet euthanize them if they get hurt on the track and behind banner that protects the public from seeing. Just imagine if they were shooting them in front of families and little kids? The optics would be terrible.

There is incredibly strict drug testing in racing now and they even do out of competition drug testing. It is so sensitive that horses are popping for picograms of nothing burgers. There was recently a case where a stable hand snorted coke in he bathroom, had residue on his fingers and then the horses popped for coke! The problem with racing now is that people se these failed tests (like Medina spirit's failed test for rash cream) and think they are all getting juiced up on Jon Jones t-bol.

Does anybody believe these stories like the stable hand snorting coke or a cream was used that contained something they weren't aware of? If they do, I think there are some bridges for sale.

I don't like it at all, and seeing Ascot being held so highly over here, makes me feel rather resentful.

However, what happens if a load of race horses suddenly lose their purpose?

Between fox-hunting and this, I plain don't like the wealthy.

Although to be honest, I don't really like horses either. Expensive, sensitive, temperament animals, a status symbol and a girls wet dream rolled into one, who really should be banned from sharing roads with cars.

It makes me laugh. We live in a country where institutions routinely whip the shit out of animals in races for sport, put them down when injured due to the fact, or old age, and put them in all sorts of dangerous positions, yet there is some kind of public outcry when some lout punches a police horse. It's a strange relationship the British have with these things.

This.

Owning a horse is part of showing you are rich and have class. Owning an award winning horse further strokes the ego of rich people that own them.

Not going to get banned just because poor people whine about it.

EDIT:
Zoo, Circus and another animal "entertainment", as mentioned itt by other posters, will go first because they are catered to average Joes. Just look at sports hunting in Africa, they paid large sums of money to kill an supposedly "old" animal because it "saves" the species because of that. What logic is that?

This, at least in Mexico its whats saving bull fighting were circus already fell. Bull breeders have money and political connections circus owners didnt.

Back