how long to get your blue belt

b0b said:
The average is probably 6 months to a year.

Maybe if your training 5/6 days a week. I'd say a bit longer. Average, 1.5 - 2 years ?

I didn't take part in (don't know if this is the right word) the grading tests. I wanted to wait so I could compete as a white belt first since I had never competed before. So I actually didn't recieve it.
But they told me that I had gotten it if I had went. That was like 1

Took me about 18 months and I was told that was quick

I got mine in 9 months, training 3X a week. I also practiced using videos and books for 2 years before I joined and I have a background in judo.

some places the blue belt is easy to get (4 months)
but the purple is a pain in the rear.

Other places, the blue is hard & purple is about the same.

at least 2 1/2 years where i train...but i think i have a tough dojo with extremely techinical grapplers like Carlos Newton

It took me 9 months of dedicated training 4 -5 times a week under Relson Gracie. I won my division in gi at NAGA and also won, division, open as white and placed second in blue belt at Kauai GP. One month after that I got my blue.

At Rickson's school in West LA, it usually takes 1.5-2 years to get blue, then another 3-5 to get purple, under ordinary circumstances.

I thought Rickson's would be much tougher,

I know guys at my school been training on and off for 5 years, barely just got their blue.
ability wise they maybe like a good purple.
skill wise like a blue...

2-3 years. A friend of mine got his in 6 months but prior to BJJ he had 10 years of judo.

Untill a qualified instructor gives it to you :).

Seriously, ive seen from 6months to 4 years so anywhere in there.

johil d'o said:
At Rickson's school in West LA, it usually takes 1.5-2 years to get blue, then another 3-5 to get purple, under ordinary circumstances.
7-8 years to get purple? slacker

like was said before between 6 months - 3 years.. Depends on dedication, how hungry the guy is, if he listens to his instructor as he rolls. Trainers want soldiers who listen to what they say, when they say it. Natural ability, previous experience.

I have trained 7 mounths and i will get mine soon.

Got mine in about7 months training 3-4 times per week.

I guess all that matters is when you get it do you feel like you truly deserve it or not.
And I guess if you think you deserve it right away, you dont.

physicaltherapy said:
I got my blue after 8-9 months. Then competed in GQ won 4th no-gi, followed by a local comp where I took 1st for gi and 1st for no-gi.

I have never played any other sport in my life or wrestled in HS or college. I sucked at baseball, basketball, football, and probabaly hockey too. And any other sport that required hand eye coordination. I didn't join wrestling in HS because I thought it was just a bunch of homos looking for an excuse to touch each other's asses. I guess I was wrong.
Same here about other sports but im still a white belt

Back