How long to belt up?

Purple Belt
Reaction score
for those who currently hold rank in BJJ, how long did it take you to earn your belt(s)

**Edit** and dont say 500 posts!

This thread is useless, if people post only in years and not add time spent on the mat.

Even then it is still pretty useless...

This thread is useless, if people post only in years and not add time spent on the mat.

Even then it is still pretty useless...

Why?

And if you choose to not reply then no one is forcing you to.

The reason I started it was that many people tell me I earned my blue belt rather quickly and I was wondering how others progressed. I started the thread by just asking because I did not want to come out and seem braggish.

But now your setting the bait so you can brag alittle

just looking for outside comparison is all.

how about i just say it took me 8365034560962304956 years?

now if anyone would care to answer i would appreciate it.

Because if one guy studies for 2 years and attends twice a week and another guy studies for 2 years and attends morning and evening classes 4 times a week the progress will be different even though the years are the same.

Person A has put in about 300 hours of work while Person B has put in almost 1000 hours give or take a week of no training. Person A might be preparing to get his blue belt at 2 years while Person B is a midlevel purple belt.

Years don't tell the story. Kind of thought it was obvious.

around 2 years to get my blue in bjj going 3 to 4 days a week I got my blue belt in judo in the same amount of time .

10 months to get my blue belt going about 4 times per week. I also had a couple of years of Judo from 8 years prior under my belt.

Why?

The reason I started it was that many people tell me I earned my blue belt rather quickly and I was wondering how others progressed. I started the thread by just asking because I did not want to come out and seem braggish.

Threads like this are the BJJ eqivalent of a dick-measuring contest, made evident with your post above.

it all depends on how many times you join class.

going twice a week, going 5 times a week, or training fulltime ( +- 15 times)

basically, i think the last person can get it in half a year if he's dedicated and does good in competition

BJJ is a sport of small improvements and changes. Rushing to earn a belt, land a submission, make the perfect sweep - won't work. You must work step by step, sweat drop by sweat drop along the path. Train for
today, not for the next belt. -Robinho

Because if one guy studies for 2 years and attends twice a week and another guy studies for 2 years and attends morning and evening classes 4 times a week the progress will be different even though the years are the same.

Person A has put in about 300 hours of work while Person B has put in almost 1000 hours give or take a week of no training. Person A might be preparing to get his blue belt at 2 years while Person B is a midlevel purple belt.

Years don't tell the story. Kind of thought it was obvious.

i blame the school systems

Why?

How long did it take you to earn your blue belt?

5 Months of Gi, switched instructors 7 months NO-Gi(during this time class 2x a week 1 hour classes), Switched gyms; 15 months of GI with my current and permanent instructor(class average 3-4 times a week 1.5-2hours per class)=Blue belt

I can't believe you'd start a thread just to brag. lame. just start a belt thread when you first get it people would be less angry.

Twat.

Back