How long til blue belt with only no gi experience

I'm probably making the switch as well in a few months, after 6 years doing nogi/mma (gym has moved too far away :(). I expect a rough transition period in terms of grips and gi chokes (especially gi chokes), but grappling is grappling... Just having your body used to moving in this way is going to make it so incredibly much faster that even if there was 0 carry over of techniques (not the case), you would pick them up so much easier.

Last edited:
I'm probably making the switch as well in a few months, after 6 years doing nogi/mma (gym has moved too far away :(). I expect a rough transition period in terms of grips and gi chokes (especially gi chokes), but grappling is grappling... Just having your body used to moving in this way is going to make it so incredibly much faster that even if there was 0 carry over of techniques (not the case), you would pick them up so much easier.

You'll be surprised how quickly you pick it up. Your control of people will be even better. That being said, things will slow down a bit as grips become an issue. Find someone in class that has good grip breaks and learn from them.

We had some 10p blue belts come to our gym and were pretty good. There was a learning curve but was probably half the time to get their belt.

I mean if anything, the initial curve of , what’s a hip ‘scape, what’s guard , how to be heavy in side control etc. is all in the bag already

It's definitely different I'm finding out. I'm fine with being a white belt for good but I run into the problem of blue belts trying to coach me on every fucking thing but when we roll I will tap them multiple times. But I do admit I know no gi chokes really or really how to even tie my belt. But I'm starting to think that they promote to blue too quickly because honestly all the blues in the gym are pretty bad

~DaViD~

It's definitely different I'm finding out. I'm fine with being a white belt for good but I run into the problem of blue belts trying to coach me on every fucking thing but when we roll I will tap them multiple times. But I do admit I know no gi chokes really or really how to even tie my belt. But I'm starting to think that they promote to blue too quickly because honestly all the blues in the gym are pretty bad

~DaViD~

So because you can tap them, that means they have nothing to teach you? Sounds like jiu jitsu isn't really for you dude

So because you can tap them, that means they have nothing to teach you? Sounds like jiu jitsu isn't really for you dude
Guess not then. I don't pay to have every person walk me through every step. I like all the help I can get but there's a point where it's just annoying and unproductive.

~DaViD~

A more extreme example would be a guy with say 8 years experience in a no belt system would they just give him a purple or brown when he came in?

No way. He's gonna need at LEAST a year to really get used to the gi. It's a different thing.

Getting coached to the point of micromanaging is annoying regardless of skill level.

Getting coached to the point of micromanaging is annoying regardless of skill level.

If you're a white belt being coached by a blue belt, the ''micromanaging" is in your head. They're trying to help you but your ego is getting in the way, and you're just hurting yourself by not listening. I think it's silly any time there are opportunities to learn something new and and you don't want to listen cuz you're 100 percent focused on trying to win. Its just self defeating. Especially at white belt.

Also something to consider, even if their own 'coaching' is basically an ego trip and an attempt to feel superior, it doesn't mean you can't take what they're saying into consideration. Good advice is good advice and can be put to use, regardless of what the intentions were.

If you're a white belt being coached by a blue belt, the ''micromanaging" is in your head. They're trying to help you but your ego is getting in the way, and you're just hurting yourself by not listening. I think it's silly any time there are opportunities to learn something new and and you don't want to listen cuz you're 100 percent focused on trying to win. Its just self defeating. Especially at white belt.

Also something to consider, even if their own 'coaching' is basically an ego trip and an attempt to feel superior, it doesn't mean you can't take what they're saying into consideration. Good advice is good advice and can be put to use, regardless of what the intentions were.

I dunno I’d be hesitant to take advice from people I’m routinely tapping out, especially if they’re a higher belt level than me.

Sounds like TS might have joined a gym that promotes students fast to keep them paying members.

~DaViD~

I have found the perfect solution to your dilemma. I will tell them to show me after the roll. No one has ever remembered to remind me after the roll. It is one of the most useful things I've ever learned in BJJ.

This is a problem when I genuinely do want to be reminded after the roll but the ratio usually comes out in my favor.

Last edited:

At the end of the day I think there a balance. And I think there’s situations where’d I’d totally agree with you, and there’s some where perhaps you’d agree with me. And we landed where we did based on our personal experience .

Cause I agree a lot of progression comes from feed back from your training partners and not exclusively from the coach.

That said there’s something to just letting people roll. For example if I see a white belt doing their best but still getting swept. I don’t think there’s a lot of value to talk about keeping their balance. I think you can talk about balance all day but really you get better balance by defending against sweeps 100x.

I do listen to feedback! There comes a point where I'm trying out some stuff I've seen and I get the "oh that's a strength move that will never work against a black belt" when it works against them like they are Marcelo Garcia all of the sudden. Only rnc's and guillotines are allowed now apparently. Seriously I get shit from using a kimura to sweep from bottom. Maybe they are right to an extent, but They seem more close minded than me and it just gets old. Most stuff I use is from folkjitsu, josh Barnett, or Eric Paulson (his normal stuff with kimuras not the pressure point rough stuff or smothers). It's really not that big of a deal haha I'm just bitching a bit because it can get frustrating

~DaViD~

Last edited:
Back