How long should I not train?

Alaskantkdkid

Green Belt
Reaction score
I just got back from the doctor and found out I have a staph infection. I am curious; how long I should be taking off from grappling after it goes away?

Surely this was something to ask the doctor

Lay offs from training suck. I sprained my knee when my friend fell on me

Don't train with a staph infection. If you are injured and you train it's at your own risk, but staph is fairly contagious.

I just got back from the doctor and found out I have a staph infection. I am curious; how long I should be taking off from grappling after it goes away?

how ever long the doctor said you were contagious for... tack on a good 3-5 days for good measure

plenty of stuff you can work on in the mean time by yourself

I dealt with staph a few years ago. The time off sucks, but it would suck so much worse if you trained with it and passed it on to all your teammates.

The best bet is not to train until about a day or two after you've finished the antibiotics they prescribed for you.

Here's my general rule of thumb: stay OFF the mat until the infection is completely healed. This means no open sore or wound and fully healed skin.

I've been off the mat for 33 days now because of a staph infection. The doctor prescribed 10 days of ceflax for it, which didn't fully clear it. within a week, it came back with a vengeance and I'm now on a 14-day cycle of a stronger antibiotic combined with penicillin-like drug. It's finally clearing up.

Hopefully you won't have to be off the mat for as long as me, but don't put your teammates and yourself at risk by going back before it is 100% healed. It's disrespectful to your team.

Given the information I plan to take off at a minimum all of this week. Will see on Monday of next week how I feel and how far along I have come.

Given the information I plan to take off at a minimum all of this week. Will see on Monday of next week how I feel and how far along I have come.

thats the tricky part about bacterial infections... you can start to feel better but could still, for a lack of a better word, go into remission

make sure you finish the whole anti-biotic regimen your doctor prescribed, regardless if you start feeling better/looking cleared up halfway through... THEN reassess

and if you didn't ask, shoot him a phone call or pop your head into the office and just ask how long you are contageous for, and his recommendations on the matter... might be a pain to you, but better that than you being a pain to everyone else

People like you need to chill out. If you just got it you should be thinking a minimum of how long the doctor told you for it to clear up + 1 week.
Too much bad hygiene going around and it seems like people don't notice it.

Bad hygiene is a sign of a bad grappler.
When I see guys walking barefoot to the can, I know they are going to get their ass beat on the mats.

Here's my general rule of thumb: stay OFF the mat until the infection is completely healed. This means no open sore or wound and fully healed skin.

I've been off the mat for 33 days now because of a staph infection. The doctor prescribed 10 days of ceflax for it, which didn't fully clear it. within a week, it came back with a vengeance and I'm now on a 14-day cycle of a stronger antibiotic combined with penicillin-like drug. It's finally clearing up.

Hopefully you won't have to be off the mat for as long as me, but don't put your teammates and yourself at risk by going back before it is 100% healed. It's disrespectful to your team.

EXACT same thing happened to me.

If you are about to finish your 10 day course of medicine and it is pretty much gone, but not 100% gone, I would refill it and take it for another 10 days. Otherwise you may end up like me, having to get rid of it twice and being out for a month.

I figured since I finished the medicine and it was 90% cleared up, that it was going away. Hell no, that shit came back super quick. Don't mess with it, it can take a while to goa way.

Bad hygiene is a sign of a bad grappler.
When I see guys walking barefoot to the can, I know they are going to get their ass beat on the mats.

Or at the very least, rub piss all over your face. :icon_lol:

Lay offs from training suck. I sprained my knee when my friend fell on me

How long did you take off for the sprained knee? I am in the same boat but have been training with it, but it's not getting better so I might have to take some time off.

Back