How long for Conor to get a legit black belt in BJJ?

He seems to have been working a lot on his ground game so I was curious on how long it would take for him to reach a legit black belt-level given that he continues to work on his BJJ at this intensity.

I don't know. Kavanagh said in an interview that he trains BJJ as often as he would have in the past.

A lot of people were asking where Gunni was, but he's taken the summer off. Kavanagh got his 3rd stripe recently, they have that Danis lad, and one of the other BJJ coaches from SBG is out there with him, so he has his usual partners out there - apart from Danis.

I'm sure someone who knows more about BJJ could tell us that black belts are given out a lot more easily than before and there's different levels of black belts. I'd imagine being an MMA fighter, it would take longer to get that black belt.

It was McCall who mentioned that his ground game was 'shitty' I don't think Conor is going to be Penn off his back, but I would hazard a guess he knows enough to get himself out of trouble in certain situations. People forget that he went to the ground with Brandao and took Holloway down and controlled him on the ground. I watched that fight the other day and Holloway did well to stop Conor from advancing, but Conor did pass his guard and eventually mounted him. Rogan was talking how an armbar was there for the taking, but I think Conor from that position will try to land strikes.

Maybe in future fights he'll try to go for the submission. The consensus is that his ground game is awful, but he might pop up with a surprise and submit someone.

Probably a while. No one wants to issue someome a black belt whos going to get schooled and tapped out on the ground, its embarassing

Conor is a brown belt, I expect he will get his black belt sometime next year.

Numerous high level guys have commented on how good his BJJ is, it's really just a haterism that he's poor in the ground.

Shut up you maroon

Conor is a brown belt, I expect he will get his black belt sometime next year.

Numerous high level guys have commented on how good his BJJ is, it's really just a haterism that he's poor in the ground.
Multiple of his training partners have yes.

I don't know. Kavanagh said in an interview that he trains BJJ as often as he would have in the past.

A lot of people were asking where Gunni was, but he's taken the summer off. Kavanagh got his 3rd stripe recently, they have that Danis lad, and one of the other BJJ coaches from SBG is out there with him, so he has his usual partners out there - apart from Danis.

I'm sure someone who knows more about BJJ could tell us that black belts are given out a lot more easily than before and there's different levels of black belts. I'd imagine being an MMA fighter, it would take longer to get that black belt.

It was McCall who mentioned that his ground game was 'shitty' I don't think Conor is going to be Penn off his back, but I would hazard a guess he knows enough to get himself out of trouble in certain situations. People forget that he went to the ground with Brandao and took Holloway down and controlled him on the ground. I watched that fight the other day and Holloway did well to stop Conor from advancing, but Conor did pass his guard and eventually mounted him. Rogan was talking how an armbar was there for the taking, but I think Conor from that position will try to land strikes.

Maybe in future fights he'll try to go for the submission. The consensus is that his ground game is awful, but he might pop up with a surprise and submit someone.
You have to remember, Conor had a torn ACL at the time, not an ideal time to be going for armbars.

Don't worry, bro. He'll be a better black belt and have superior cardio than Diaz the day before they fight. Be patient.

They'll give it to him after 202 when he subs Nate.

You have to remember, Conor had a torn ACL at the time, not an ideal time to be going for armbars.

Oh yeah, I know. But I think it was before his knee went and Conor looked more interested in mounting Holloway and landing strikes.

He did at one point in the 3rd, but Holloway kicked out. Holloway is not noted for his ground game, but he was being controlled when he was taken down. But I get that just because it's Conor, a lot of people will over look that, the grappling with Brandao and escaping the guillotine from Mendes and sweeping Diaz - which bizarrely a lot of people said Diaz let him to do it to get Conor in his guard. Okaaaay.

Multiple of his training partners have yes.

Ryan Hall and Chris Brennan are not his team mates.

Of course they're not going to come out and say 'fuck, this guy is awful' But name someoner who is the perfect MMA fighter.

Oh yeah, I know. But I think it was before his knee went and Conor looked more interested in mounting Holloway and landing strikes.

He did at one point in the 3rd, but Holloway kicked out. Holloway is not noted for his ground game, but he was being controlled when he was taken down. But I get that just because it's Conor, a lot of people will over look that, the grappling with Brandao and escaping the guillotine from Mendes and sweeping Diaz - which bizarrely a lot of people said Diaz let him to do it to get Conor in his guard. Okaaaay.
Yeah, for anyone who doesn't have an anti Conor agenda the evidence supports the opinion the Conor knows what he's doing on the mat, not saying he should be looking to play that game with Diaz but him being shit on the mat is a nonsense haterism.

I am sure Conor already has the best black belt he can get TS,

img61218562.jpg

To be fair, Conor gets shit on a lot for his BJJ but for the very small amount of it we have seen in the cage - he is legit - defensively at least.

The most offense I've seen are sweeps - dam good ones at that. Great natural scrambler too.

I would be more worried about his striking going in there against Diaz who will likely TKO him - The average monkey fan sees him tap and thinks he's terrible on the floor - fools.

Never.

He doesn't need it. It's not his thing.

Ryan Hall and Chris Brennan are not his team mates.

Of course they're not going to come out and say 'fuck, this guy is awful' But name someoner who is the perfect MMA fighter.
Ryan Hall did train extensively at SBG following the Ultimate Fighter though.
I hadn't seen Chris Brennan's comments on Conor though, I'd love to read them if you have a link.

And the likes of Eddie bravo and Firas zahabi.
And I'm still waiting for you to show me what they actually said about him, especially Bravo. Genuinely interested.

Back