How long does it take to get a black belt at Gokor's Hayastan Academy?

Yes, that's possible. But it's the sort of question people bash you for on SHerdog's grappling forum, right or wrong.

^^^Bashing? Really?

I'd say playful banter, no one told him to suck a fat one or anything..

Jeez, guys, I'm sorry I asked. I'll just stfu and keep training. And don't think I'll be quiting in the first month. I intend to take this stuff seriously and represent Gokor in competition when he approves of me being ready.

Jeez, guys, I'm sorry I asked. I'll just stfu and keep training. And don't think I'll be quiting in the first month. I intend to take this stuff seriously and represent Gokor in competition when he approves of me being ready.

when you get your black belt, let us know how long it took you :)

Thata boy!!! Minus the "I intend to take this stuff seriously and represent Gokor in competition when he approves of me being ready" part.

Oh, and I'll save you some more time and grief. Don't wear Tapout or Affliction clothing. Don't come on here and tell us about how great you are, it will just sound like bragging. Don't post about how you suck either, cuz it will just sound like you are fishing for someone to say something nice about you. Don't ask anyone bigger than you "Hey, whatcha weigh?" after they dominate you because it will sound like you're trying to say that it is only because they are bigger. Don't spaz out when rolling or refuse to tap cuz it will make you a lot of enemies and you will learn less and get hurt more (and hurt your partners more too). Don't talk about "what would happen in the street", cuz we know that some of the shit we do isn't the best choice for multiple attackers at 3am with broken glass on the alley's concrete floor. We get it. Don't resist your training partner during technique. Don't try and correct others technique for a while. Don't try rubber guard, gogoplata's or anything else you've seen on youtube, unless your instructor taught it to you. Don't smoke before class. Always wash your gi and self after class. If you go to open mat, have a game plan of things you want to work. Don't expect someone to be giving you a private (unless they offer). Don't tell people your going to be in the UFC one day. Don't get a big head when you start tapping people. Always leave your ego at the door. And finally, remember to have fun and stfu and train!!! :icon_chee

Did I miss anything?

Thata boy!!! Minus the "I intend to take this stuff seriously and represent Gokor in competition when he approves of me being ready" part.

Oh, and I'll save you some more time and grief. Don't wear Tapout or Affliction clothing. Don't come on here and tell us about how great you are, it will just sound like bragging. Don't post about how you suck either, cuz it will just sound like you are fishing for someone to say something nice about you. Don't ask anyone bigger than you "Hey, whatcha weigh?" after they dominate you because it will sound like you're trying to say that it is only because they are bigger. Don't spaz out when rolling or refuse to tap cuz it will make you a lot of enemies and you will learn less and get hurt more (and hurt your partners more too). Don't talk about "what would happen in the street", cuz we know that some of the shit we do isn't the best choice for multiple attackers at 3am with broken glass on the alley's concrete floor. We get it. Don't resist your training partner during technique. Don't try and correct others technique for a while. Don't try rubber guard, gogoplata's or anything else you've seen on youtube, unless your instructor taught it to you. Don't smoke before class. Always wash your gi and self after class. If you go to open mat, have a game plan of things you want to work. Don't expect someone to be giving you a private (unless they offer). Don't tell people your going to be in the UFC one day. Don't get a big head when you start tapping people. Always leave your ego at the door. And finally, remember to have fun and stfu and train!!! :icon_chee

Did I miss anything?

Can somebody make this a sticky, and somehow make new people acknowledge reading this before posting?

Dont ask for a belt or a stripe. Dont use strength while rolling with kids or women. Dont buy a yellow/red/camo kimono. Just stay with white blue blakc.

Don't talk about "what would happen in the street", cuz we know that some of the shit we do isn't the best choice for multiple attackers at 3am with broken glass on the alley's concrete floor. We get it.

Did I miss anything?

I can't believe you left out the jagged lava field with barbed wire and rusty nails...

damn ur asking about black belt?

im still trying to figure out when i can get blue belt

Belt color at Gokor's academy depends on winning competition. He will not test you or anything like that. Just learn as much as you can, practice hard, win competition and you'll climb the ranks. Its not easy, it will take you around 10 years, but completely depends on your progress and how well you do in competition.

Oh, and I'll save you some more time and grief. Don't wear Tapout or Affliction clothing. Don't come on here and tell us about how great you are, it will just sound like bragging. Don't post about how you suck either, cuz it will just sound like you are fishing for someone to say something nice about you. Don't ask anyone bigger than you "Hey, whatcha weigh?" after they dominate you because it will sound like you're trying to say that it is only because they are bigger. Don't spaz out when rolling or refuse to tap cuz it will make you a lot of enemies and you will learn less and get hurt more (and hurt your partners more too). Don't talk about "what would happen in the street", cuz we know that some of the shit we do isn't the best choice for multiple attackers at 3am with broken glass on the alley's concrete floor. We get it. Don't resist your training partner during technique. Don't try and correct others technique for a while. Don't try rubber guard, gogoplata's or anything else you've seen on youtube, unless your instructor taught it to you. Don't smoke before class. Always wash your gi and self after class. If you go to open mat, have a game plan of things you want to work. Don't expect someone to be giving you a private (unless they offer). Don't tell people your going to be in the UFC one day. Don't get a big head when you start tapping people. Always leave your ego at the door. And finally, remember to have fun and stfu and train!!!
Did I miss anything?

Post of the millenium! :icon_chee

I was the same way you are. I think almost every newbie that starts any martial art is. But you don't become great overnight. Just train hard and consistently. The belts will come.

Did I miss anything?

You may have missed a few small things, but I think you summed it up pretty damn good...haha, good stuff!!

if you are asking on sherdog and instead of someone at gokor's you know that it's a shady question to ask/.

you should just train who cares about belts ?

belts can mess with your head just train and learn they will come when your sensi thinks your ready .

i have seen guys who care more about belts and never get graded or promoted cuz the sensi picks up on it and what ever you do , do not bitch about it .

Back