How long does it take to get a black belt at Gokor's Hayastan Academy?

ThaiFighter_83

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So I just joined Gokor's tonight, and now I'm going to be taking the MMA class without gi once a week, the Judo/Jiu-jitsu/Sambo class with gi once a week, and drilling the shit out of all the stuff they teach me on those two days throughout the rest of the week with my other workout partners. I'm a total newbie when it comes to grappling, but I intend to take this very seriously and learn as much as I can. I'm 25 now...how do you think it would take me to get to black belt? 35? 40? Do I have to win any tournaments to recieve a black belt or do I just take a test?

no offense, but these are the guys that usually quit because they think that they should get their blue belt within a couple of months

Why don't you just ask Gokor? I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you.

I had asked a question somewhat simlar to yours and it brought the same responses.(Heres another guy whos gonna be gone in a week or a month etc) What I have decided is to find out by doing it. I think as you progress if you made another post as an update later down the road it could be helpful to others but ultimately I think you need to answer your own question the same as I need to answer mine by doing it. Good luck.

I support that you go up to Gokor and ask: "when do I get my blackbelt."

Make sure you videotape it please.

I support that you go up to Gokor and ask: "when do I get my blackbelt."

Make sure you videotape it please.

I think he'll get better results if he phrases it like "when do I get my black belt, chief?"

But seriously, you've got a great opportunity at Hayastan and you're still young.
Make the most of it, good luck.

I think he'll get better results if he phrases it like "when do I get my black belt, chief?"

But seriously, you've got a great opportunity at Hayastan and you're still young.
Make the most of it, good luck.

And don't forget to tell him your Turkish.
Just a joke guys, if you don't know what I mean forget about it

You just started, and you already want to know when to expect getting your black belt? Just go and learn, and don't concern yourself with getting promoted for at least a few years, getting your black belt takes a LONG time.

Unless your some grappling prodigy I would say 8-12 years or hard work.

To me a BJJ or JUDO blackbelt is like having a "PH.D" in the respective discipline.

Yeah, I echo everyone else's comments, but admit I was the same way when I started. Most of us were. However, most guys who are concerned with getting promoted never make it past the first month. They come in talk about what they're going to do and then stop showing up one day. You'll notice that after you train consistently for a few months people will start to pay more attention to you and be more willing to help you out. For now, just STFU & Train!

Belts, belts, belts, belts, belts always with the belts. Isn't there some way to block posts with the words "when" and "belt" in it.

Gokor is the friggin man, and IMHO one of the best grappling teacher in the world right now.

What's he charging?

Gokor is the friggin man, and IMHO one of the best grappling teacher in the world right now.

What's he charging?

I think it depends on how fast you think you can get your Blackbelt :icon_chee

I don't know why everyone is trashing the TS, it seems like a legit question. He isn't asking when he can EXPECT his BB, just how long it usually takes to get one for someone that trains as much as he does.

^
The point is that the TS's question reveals the wrong mindset for a new student.

^
The point is that the TS's question reveals the wrong mindset for a new student.

Maybe, but didn't you wonder how long it takes when you started? I sure did, and I continue to train. Just because you want to know how long it takes to get a BB doesn't mean someone is going to quit. It might make them work harder.

Back