How long does it take to get a BJJ black Belt? (hours)

I don't do much else except train in my free time.

Monday - 1.5 hours Freestyle Wrestling, 1 hour nogi BJJ
Tuesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Wednesday - 2 hours BJJ, 1.5 hours Judo
Thursday - 3 hours BJJ
Friday - 2 hours Judo
Saturday - 2 hours Judo

Then I do half an hour of kettlebells every other morning before work. I occasionally do anoher two hours of BJJ on Saturday and on national holidays do a 2 hour day class.

You never get injured or sick doing this? That is a lot for your CNS to handle. I'm calling bullshit or you're geared up.

About 2000 hours. I'd say a new Judo BB is worth about a purple belt as far as overall grappling exp.

Well that is strange because in New Zealand you will have to defeat 10 bb in competition to gain 100 points to get your bb.

You never get injured or sick doing this? That is a lot for your CNS to handle. I'm calling bullshit or you're geared up.

Not often, I recently stopped going to wrestling for about three weeks as my knee was feeling squishy but that's the first thing to stop me training in a year or more. As I said I don't do much except train in my spare time - I don't party or go drinking, I don't bother with women, I don't stay up late, I don't eat poorly (mostly). I don't juice, not that I'm against it.

2 hour classes 3 times a week, 54 weeks a year, 10 years avg=

min 3240 hours

2 hour classes 3 times a week, 54 weeks a year, 10 years avg=

min 3240 hours

That seems low, to be honest.

Over the course of a week, I average a little more than 2 hours a day. Which adds up to about 700-800 mat hours a year. So ~4 years to black with your estimate, and that's historically been the "prodigy" speed of getting a BB (and I'm definitely no BJ Penn).

Meanwhile, the lower belt guys whose job is BJJ are putting in like 4+ hours of training a day in and still getting their BB after 4-5 years.

That seems low, to be honest.

Over the course of a week, I average a little more than 2 hours a day. Which adds up to about 700-800 mat hours a year. So ~4 years to black with your estimate, and that's historically been the "prodigy" speed of getting a BB (and I'm definitely no BJ Penn).

Meanwhile, the lower belt guys whose job is BJJ are putting in like 4+ hours of training a day in and still getting their BB after 4-5 years.

Most people can't put in 3240 hours in 4 years, things like life, injuries, other interests take over.

Most people can't put in 3240 hours in 4 years, things like life, injuries, other interests take over.

For sure. Even in concept it's a 15 hour a week schedule that's not for everyone. But I think it's really just a sliding scale.

Guys training a lot will probably end up with more mat hours on each belt level than someone who trains less in a comparable time frame. Notably because of IBJJF belt limitations, but also presumably because the promoting instructor will want that person to be a solid <insert belt color> due to the speed of the promotion.

People who take it more slowly won't have to silence critics in the same way, and are also likely to be measured to a different standard if they aren't competitors. Maybe your number is more accurate for this second group.

I find it pretty hilarious some of you calling bullshit.

You probably are:

1. Old
2. Unfit
3. Have shitty dietary habits
4. Dont sleep enough
5. Dont like to work hard

How bout you stop criticizing the workload of other people and come to terms with the fact that you just cant hack it?

You probably are:

1. Old
2. Unfit
4. Dont sleep enough

How bout you stop criticizing the workload of other people and come to terms with the fact that you just cant hack it?

well, it is the internet after all and people tends to exagerate a LOT!

Now, pretty sure a fight promoter posted on F12 that some of the posters train more than MMA pro fighters and that says it all to be honest.

I think F12 is full of future Olympist and PRO MMA fighters because they seems to out work them big time.

You probably are:

1. Old
2. Unfit
4. Dont sleep enough

Not that I have to justify myself to you but I'll play along.

I just have a family and work about 50 to 60 hours a week. I lift 2 days a week in the early morning. I also do a couple of sessions of steady state cardio a week. I attend BJJ classes between 2 to 4 times a week dependent on my schedule and other obligations I have.

I sleep 8 or more hours a night. So I try fall asleep around 9 or earlier and wake up around 5 to go lift or go to an early morning bjj class. I have an erratic schedule and sometimes I have to be at work earlier or later depending on where I am needed.

Sometimes I have to be at work at 6 so I can't lift or go to early class.

My son is in Soccer I am an assistant coach and get there to help when I'm not working.

I can be considered old I guess. I'm 39.

You probably are:

1. Old
2. Unfit
4. Dont sleep enough

I like this guy.

Not that I have to justify myself to you but I'll play along.

I just have a family and work about 50 to 60 hours a week. I lift 2 days a week in the early morning. I also do a couple of sessions of steady state cardio a week. I attend BJJ classes between 2 to 4 times a week dependent on my schedule and other obligations I have.

I sleep 8 or more hours a night. So I try fall asleep around 9 or earlier and wake up around 5 to go lift or go to an early morning bjj class. I have an erratic schedule and sometimes I have to be at work earlier or later depending on where I am needed.

Sometimes I have to be at work at 6 so I can't lift or go to early class.

My son is in Soccer I am an assistant coach and get there to help when I'm not working.

I can be considered old I guess. I'm 39.

Im not asking for justification of your inability to validate some one else, via your your schedule. Im sure you are a busy guy. So are we all.

Just dont be a fucking dick.

You dont know the guy. You dont know his genetics, his recovery practices or his commitment to his training. How bout we dont make uninformed judgements about our fellow trainees based on our own own singular experience?

Im not asking for justification of your inability to validate some one else, via your your schedule. Im sure you are a busy guy. So are we all.

Just dont be a fucking dick.

You dont know the guy. You dont know his genetics, his recovery practices or his commitment to his training. How bout we dont make uninformed judgements about our fellow trainees based on our own own singular experience?

Not being a dick. Just wondering if he gets sick doing all that. Doesn't seem like he gives his body any time to recover.

Not often, I recently stopped going to wrestling for about three weeks as my knee was feeling squishy but that's the first thing to stop me training in a year or more. As I said I don't do much except train in my spare time - I don't party or go drinking, I don't bother with women, I don't stay up late, I don't eat poorly (mostly). I don't juice, not that I'm against it.

Well bro, you do more than most. Are you competing or you just like training?

Weeks I played 3 hours of Skyrim, 6 days a week made me sicker than weeks I trained martial arts and worked out 3 hours a day, 6 days a week. As long as it is mostly different stuff, and 90% of it is light work, it isn't going to kill you.

No one is doing 18 hours of burpees.

Well bro, you do more than most. Are you competing or you just like training?

I compete once or twice a year in BJJ, but compete every couple of months in Judo - even national Judo competitions are cheap here, but local BJJ competitions are expensive (I can go to two or three Judo comps for the same price as one BJJ comp). I do enjoy the training and learning more than competition though, to me BJJ and Judo are martial arts first and sports second.

I compete once or twice a year in BJJ, but compete every couple of months in Judo - even national Judo competitions are cheap here, but local BJJ competitions are expensive (I can go to two or three Judo comps for the same price as one BJJ comp). I do enjoy the training and learning more than competition though, to me BJJ and Judo are martial arts first and sports second.

Videos?

Back