How long do you skip rope?

Premier, I have never experienced that. I havent heard of it before either...

yeah i do five rounds of 3 mins and my shoulders start to ache

Does any ones head hurts while jumping rope? I usually warm up with the ropes but have noticed that my head throbs while doing so. I haven't been clocked in the head so I dunno what's up

Maybe you have motion sickness?

beginner:
3 ONE minute rounds

intermediatte:
3 THREE minute rounds

advanced:
5 THREE rounds

30-45 sec. rest between rounds...

Pardon me for stealing the thread.. but its jump rope related.

I found a Weighted Jump Rope in my basement, Are these worth anything? or should i stick to a regular jump rope?

Muay Thai players tend to use heavier ropes than their Boxing counterparts if it counts for anything. I'm sure there are reasons for this based on each sport.

I personally prefer the speedrope to the "rope" ropes that the thais use though. It's all preference i guess.

I usually jumprope for 10-15 mins right after my run and right before boxing training. I'm usually fucked and pouring with sweat by the time i'm finished with the jumprope and have to wait for my second wind to come back while i'm wrapping my hands.

Muay Thai players tend to use heavier ropes than their Boxing counterparts if it counts for anything. I'm sure there are reasons for this based on each sport.

I personally prefer the speedrope to the "rope" ropes that the thais use though. It's all preference i guess.

Im the same way. I like to jump rope to warm-up, cool-down, and general conditioning. The heavy rope is quite a bit harder, especially on the shoulders, but seems to take away from the purpose of why I'm doing it.

i dont know how long.... but i do it until my instructor tells me to stop

I'm definitely a Muay Thai enthusiast/practitioner, but from a modern physical fitness/strength & conditioning standpoint a lot of their training is quite archaic. Jumping rope for 30-60 minutes is beyond unnecessary unless you have the 5-6 hours/day to dedicate to training, and even then one could argue the physical benefits applied to fighting (I find it to be more of a mental hurdle to overcome).

I mean damn near every Muay Thai gym in Thailand begins the day with a 8-15 mile run, for what? If you're gonna train for long distance jogging at least do it after all of the other intense training. There is way too heavy a focus on aerobic conditioning in a sport that's pretty much all anaerobic (it would make more sense in boxing if you have to go 12 rounds).

If I trained in Thailand like a pro I would have to eat like 10,000 calories a day (like half of that form protein) just so my body wouldn't devour all of my muscle. There are way more efficient ways to condition, but tradition is some hard sh*t to break.

If the goal is to make their fighters mentally tough (which I think is the primary focus), then mission accomplished for sure. I'm just saying strictly from a modern conditioning standpoint a lot of time seems to be wasted.

how do you guys keep from getting bored? skipping rope for 20+ minutes is hard for me to fathom....what keeps it interesting for you?

anywhere from ten to thirty minutes. differing intensity levels mixed in.

10 minutes. Only been jumping rope for a month now. It's fun!

We do 30 - 35 min at my gym...I get REALLY bored when doing it, and usually want to cut off my pinky toes after I'm done...I seriously hit my pinky toes everytime I jump rope

Not to be a dick but I feel like alot of you guys are exagerrating the shit out of how much you can jump rope.....If you speed rope for 5 minutes (three 5 minute rounds) you will definitely feel it.

25 minutes straight? Doubt it guy....

u know what im saying? there's a bunch of super champs in here who can skip rope for 30 minutes just to warm up, LULZ. try non stop skipping at a good pace for 10 min, thats enough to warm up most pros. of course you can do more but what's the point? get on with training. 10-15 min of jump rope before each training plus running is enough for cardio.

That just means you need to skip more and eventually your calves will adapt. Do you start skipping fast right away? If so, try skipping slower for a few minutes and then speed up, that should help loosen your legs up.

yah, and take breaks.

I dont go over 20 minutes, but that hasnt been a problem. I go at a decent, moderately fast pace, and then high-knee sprint the last 30 seconds of each round, and just go back to the moderate pace during the "break" between rounds. Calling BS on something as common as 20-25 minutes of jump rope? Please...

riiight... you and everyone else in this thread has such good cardio that they need to do 25-30 min of skipping rope just for warm up... nobody said 25-30 min of jump rope is impossible, but it does take a toll on your stamina/endurance unless you're in really good shape, 25-30 min of real skipping will drain you. why would you do that? skipping is usually for warm up plus gives the endurance in the calves and bouncability for footwork. why would you make yourself expend so much energy on it?

Back