How long did you train before your first tournament?

lakergirl52

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How long did you train before your first tournament?

I've only been training for a couple weeks but want to compete sometime in the future. My longish term goal is to compete at the Arnold's in March/April next year. Probably catch a more local tourney before that. I'm thinking about competing after I've been doing this for a couple months, and was just wondering how green everyone was when they did their first tournament/competition.

2 weeks. Not smart on my part but I had an extensive wrestling background.

After about 2 years. My performance was pretty meh. I think it's better to get out of the way as a white belt. At that level you can afford to make stupid mistakes (I sure as hell did) and even if you do you might still win a few fights.

6 months. it's always good to see where you stand.

About 8-9 months in for me, and I still had no clue what I was doing.

Go try it just to learn what it's like, and try not to care whether you win or lose. Just try to enjoy the experience, support your team, have fun, and learn what it feels like to compete.

I competed after 3 months of trainning. Only because my instructor told me too, it seemed kind of soon for me but I trusted his opinion.

3 months. I went one and done losing to the eventual champ in no-gi and came in second in the gi at NAGA DC.

2 months. Actually won my no-gi division at Naga with 3 wins.

2 weeks. This was like 5 years ago...I got smashed by my first opponent and my second opponent in nogi ended up being a teammate of mine (when I signed up I did not put a team down because I was a bit awkward and felt that it might be too early to compete under the banner of a school I had been to like 3 or 4 times) and at the time I didn't want to compete against him. So I had one match...got cross choked mount and went home.

I waited about a year and a half. Didn't feel any real rush to compete and didn't think I would enjoy it. I tried it and turns out I did enjoy it.

Went after 3 months, went 1-1.

I was going to my first tournament with two months of training, but then I got food poisoning and puked myself away from it. My first tournament was with 7 months of training. I wished I tried it earlier, but I managed to crack my tailbone and it really hindered my training.

I was going to my first tournament with two months of training, but then I got food poisoning and puked myself away from it. My first tournament was with 7 months of training. I wished I tried it earlier, but I managed to crack my tailbone and it really hindered my training.

Thats a pretty tough road to your first tournament.

9 months before I competed. 1st and 3rd in two divisions. 6-1 record. I guess it depends on how you feel about your skill.

I've been training about 11 months and still haven't competed yet. Although, I did get asked to fight in an amateur MMA match in November, but I still gotta talk to my trainers about that one...

Six months. Some local tournaments and NAGA has a novice division for 6 month and under guys and gals.

It's not really as intense as a white belt. I'd say get it under your belt while a white so you don't feel the pressure of having to win. I've known blues who competed against whites for their first time and they really felt the pressure..

I think the people who competed after only 1-2 weeks must be mental. Imagine if they let boxers just come in and decide they want to compete after such a short time, that's a recipe for death! It's a different sport, I know, but that's wayyyyyy too soon. I competed after about a year.

In case you're wondering, I still got smashed. :icon_chee

Back