How long did it take your body to adjust to working out?

KOorSub

White Belt
Reaction score
So, I get really sore the next day after working out and i actually skip my muay thai and judo class because of this.
everyone keeps telling me my body will get used to it, but how long will it take? how long before you were able to do physical activitys the next day after a good workout?

and are there any ways to reduce the soreness, the only one i've heard of was contrast baths , but i only have one tub. would contrast showers be enough?

thanks for any advice.

So, I get really sore the next day after working out and i actually skip my muay thai and judo class because of this.
everyone keeps telling me my body will get used to it, but how long will it take? how long before you were able to do physical activitys the next day after a good workout?

and are there any ways to reduce the soreness, the only one i've heard of was contrast baths , but i only have one tub. would contrast showers be enough?

thanks for any advice.

For grappling it took me a month or so to get used to the stressing of the body.

took me about 16 weeks, but then again i only workout like once a week, maby 20 minutes on the bad boys

Took me about a week and a half but I missed the training after my first because I could barely walk from muscle pains.

A. see Power Shower ;if you already haven't.

B. Eat more protein, and in response to, "I already eat a lot", no you don't, eat more.

C. Go to the classes even if you are sore, stop using excuses to NOT train.

This. Sorry, but them's the ropes - when i first started grappling i wasn't at all used to the compression of the ribs and there would be tears in my eyes from the pain during and after class. I'm too stupid to quit though, and now i don't feel it. Same with doing squats without the towel around the bar - at first it hurt like a motherfucker, now i don't notice.

This is why most athletes of any kind start out young - when you're younger you have a higher tolerance for these kinds of stresses, and you're too dumb to quit. Anyone who starts out doing combat sports or heavy strength training after 25 has a rougher road ahead, but it can absolutely be done.

Let the pain inspire you man - walk down the street and look at all the happy people with their ice cream cones and pot bellies and know that the pain in your calves, ribs, jaw, whatever, makes you a stronger and tougher individual than they are. They're laughing now, but once you start loading the bar so heavy it bends and it still looks like you're squatting without one your accomplishments will echo in eternity. They will die weak.

EDIT: I wrote "after 25" because i'm old and assumed you are too. If you're under 25 years of age and still have this problem, you seriously need to get dumber. A lot dumber. Not so dumb as to hurt your back or knees, but dumb enough to ignore DOMS at the very least.

A. see Power Shower ;if you already haven't.

B. Eat more protein, and in response to, "I already eat a lot", no you don't, eat more.

It took me a couple days to get used to training. I went for 5 days in a row. And after the 4th day, I stopped feeling sore. You need to keep going training, and the soreness will decrease. I'm 16 though, and I keep my protein high so I might be recovering faster than everyone else :wink:

Adequate sleep (>7 hours, preferably 8-10 hours) is also a huge part of recovery.

When you say "working out" do you mean lifting weights or are you referring to MT/Judo? If it's lifting, post your routine. Your routine could also be less than optimal.

I've tried many things but nothing seems to be the magic answer. I just ignore pain and soreness and stay with it.

If your body gets used to it then it's time to change up your routine.

Doing the 5x5 program I could only do it three times a week for the first three months.Now Im able to go to the gym at least 5 times a week.I found it took a while but my body adapted.I still do the heavy weights three times a week and the other two or three days conditioning and more assistance lifts.

i think that the point is not to let the body get used to it, once the body is used to the work outs you wont see anymore progress/results in your body, cardio, etc. you know its like u run for an hour everyday and u dont even get tired, well run 2 or 3, thats why people add weight when they weight lift, to confuse the muscle and make it get sore.

Me personally if i dont wake up sore i get mad cause i feel like i didnt do enough for my body so i go back to the gym and double what i did.

If I understand the question correctly, it took about a month for me. There is a difference between the soreness I felt in the first month I was lifting and the soreness from DOMS now.

i think that the point is not to let the body get used to it, once the body is used to the work outs you wont see anymore progress/results in your body, cardio, etc. you know its like u run for an hour everyday and u dont even get tired, well run 2 or 3, thats why people add weight when they weight lift, to confuse the muscle and make it get sore.

Me personally if i dont wake up sore i get mad cause i feel like i didnt do enough for my body so i go back to the gym and double what i did.

Being sore means nothing in terms of how your workout went. If that's all you're looking for, however, by all means, go for it. It doesn't mean your workout sucked if you didn't get sore or DOMS the next day. And going back and doing double if you didn't feel sore...

dude-wtf.jpg

No pain, no gain

Gotta feel the burn

I've been training consistently for 10 years and I still get so sore at times that it's debilitating. Learn to love it.

I dont acknowlegde pain, so i dont how long it will last.

If your body gets used to it then it's time to change up your routine.

That's right, keep those muscles confused!

We need a facepalm smiley.

Back