How long did it take you to tap somebody?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by doctordan, Oct 13, 2010.

1. doctordan

doctordan White Belt

Hello Gentlemen.

I've been training BJJ for about two weeks now and tonight was my fifth time rolling. I actually had my first sub attempt tonight:D (shitty guillotine). I was just curious how long it took most of yall to get your first submission. No frustration here because i know its gonna take some time, just general curiosity.

I love this stuff though, and I am proud to say that i finally have a healthy addiction :icon_twis

2. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

I actually pulled off a really crappy RNC on a guy the first time I ever rolled. I should have just quit then, because it was all down hill from there. ;)

3. navita

navita Orange Belt

first time I sparred it was with my coach, I went for an RNC. He fixed my technique and let me tap him out....

By the way were not all guys in here....

4. Hillary

Hillary Brown Belt

First real tap? In the gym, like 8 months. But in competitions I got mostly subs after about 3 weeks training.

5. rellik_yzarc

rellik_yzarc Orange Belt

I tapped somebody in the first class but tapped a beginner like myself too = LUCK. I am still being tapped out ALL the time by everybody.

For instance:

Today one 6'2 165lb white belt pulled my sleeve as I was escaping from mount using deep half guard and arm barred me. I had my elbow out but he pulled it back in. Still thinking on what to do if this happens next time.

Same white belt leaned his forearm on my neck when he was in my guard while he tried to open it, it worked. I tried an omaplata but he posture out of that pretty easily.

I am 5'8 130lbs beginner and i have a LOT of things to work on. the higher belts are cool though since they go slow and showed me a lot of things while still tapping me out.

I guess I don't mind tapping to good technique since it shows control and minimal chance of injury. Plus you get to learn something. Its just pisses me off to roll with somebody that really wants to win that they don't mind if they injure you in the process.

6. KahleyTriangles

KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

I don't remember my first sub!! Is that bad?

EDIT: Oh my god! I do remember my first sub. It was a cross collar choke from closed guard. I think it was about a month in, and I did it to another noob white belt. He had no idea. Ahhh the good ol' days!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I remember my first sub, it was in Judo class, after a couple weeks of training. It was a shitty thrust choke (tsukkomi jime) from inside another clueless beginner's closed guard, and he was trying to choke me at the same time, lol

Where I train BJJ now, they don't really let the noobs roll with each other so that would basically never happen

8. lakergirl52

lakergirl52 Yellow Belt

J/C, how long had you been training when you did your first tournament?

Anyhoo, I got my first tap after about a month or so I'd say. Some weird ezikeal/collar choke thing I pulled out of my A**

9. FollowYourBliss

FollowYourBliss Yellow Belt

6 weeks. The first 4 weeks I didn't get to role so I guess it's really 2 weeks.

10. doctordan

doctordan White Belt

Yeah i havent rolled with another straight white belt yet, i feel like it would probably end up just being a wrestling match with neither of us learning a whole lot. Rolling with the 3 and 4 stripes is cool because they go hard enough where its still a workout, but also point out a lot of things to me as they are tapping my ass out.

11. All In The Game

All In The Game Green Belt

About 3 months. It was the ugliest americana ever applied.

I thought the dude was fucking with me when he tapped.

12. Prominence

Prominence White Belt

3 months via the worst RNC ever....I think the person tapped because they were tired of being on their back.

13. raspberryfields

raspberryfields White Belt

About 3 months... it was a poorly executed collar choke from guard.

14. jrozen

jrozen White Belt

I got a kimura against another white belt my second week, which I think was actually his fourth week. That's it, though... I'm still in the stage of getting my butt kicked left and right.

This is a great thread, by the way! It's encouraging to hear that I don't have to learn this stuff overnight.

15. Drift Wood

Drift Wood White Belt

16. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

I think it took me a couple of months. The first school I trained at was small so I didn't have alot of training partners. No one started after me for months. I finally caught a guy with a peruvian necktie (thanks to a video Tapskilz posted here) that started a few months before me.

17. Nulhacky

Nulhacky White Belt

I tapped out the instructor on my first day of class. He asked to roll again and I tapped him out two more times. I've been teaching the class ever since.

18. AwesomeSquad

AwesomeSquad Orange Belt

About 2 months in. After that food tasted better, colors were brighter, my wife wasn't such a huge bitch. It was life changing. Now everything is back to normal.

19. Hamsterdam

Hamsterdam Orange Belt

My first roll, which was my third day of class. I still have yet to tap a blue.

20. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

I got a RNC my first time rolling, but that on a beginner too, and he taped me with a really shitty choke (more like neck squeeze). I got owned a hundred times by everyone in the class, they were still cool with me tho.