how long did it take you to get from White to Blue belt?

Didn't say I believed I should get it or that I thought I earned it but that's when it was given to me. I don't believe anyone should get it that fast but who am I to tell my instructor he is wrong?

Don't worry man,I'm sure you grew into it even if it was premature. to get it that fast you're instructor must have seen potential.

roughly how long on average will it take for me to reach blue belt realistically (assuming without competing) if i train 5-6 days per week? an hour each time.

1 year and 11 months, consistent 2-4x per week, with 4 tournaments, 3 of which I medaled in.

About 14 months from when I started. I took off three months during the summer, however, due to a relocation for work. Nearest BJJ was 2 hours away and I was working 14hr days.

About as long as it took you to make your 20th post on Sherdogs.

9 months here.

Fastest at Roger's, I don't know. I know a guy who got his in three months from Renzo, and there were a few six months here and there, but to be honest, no matter how good the guy is, if he's starting from scratch, Roger isn't going to give him a blue in a really short period of time, like less than six months.

I think Fitz got his in about four months, but he had five or six years nogi beforehand, so meh.

Take care,

Oli

Yeah it just tells what you can actually do when you are not in your gym relaxed with friends. Not that it matters actually applying what you know in an actual fight. that is nonsense.

:rolleyes:

If you think that Saulo is full of shit, go tell him that.

I compete and do quite well. Even then, I still feel like too much emphasis is placed on competition.

If something about your epeen makes you think that competition is the only way to show that you have an understanding of BJJ, then so be it. Go fondle your medals and pretend to be a man.

Last edited:
about a year and 4 months, counting time off, probably about a year.

I have been trainning for over two years and only have two stripes. I go 3-4 days a week. Jagcorps_esq can probably vouch that Rodrigo doesn't promote easily. I don't care though, when I do get any kind of rank it means alot.

:rolleyes:

If something about your epeen makes you think that competition is the only way to show that you have an understanding of BJJ, then so be it. Go fondle your medals and pretend to be a man.

I agree with you. Knowledge is a huge part of BJJ belts and you can't judge that in a match.

A guy like Rashad Evans or Randy Couture can probably go a full match doing very well against some of the very best black belts on earth. (Randy proved it against Jacare.) However, neither of them have a tenth of the knowledge that a true BJJ black belt has.

I know I'd rather learn BJJ from a local brown belt than from Randy Couture (his celebrity aside), even though surely Randy would destroy him in a grappling match.

I started at the end of January 2008 and got my blue belt at the end of April, 2009, so about fifteen months in calendar time. I trained about three days a week pretty consistently except I took 2 or 3 weeks off when I separated my shoulder, and another couple weeks off when I moved in July 2008. So at that point I had been training for just shy of six months, and had zero stripes on my belt, and had to switch to a new academy. So it took me about ten months to go from white to blue under that new instructor.

took me 9 months, but I was also competing a lot and went to 4-5 days a week and sometimes twice a day. With that said, I got promoted later than others. I'm not the most physically gifted as my team mates at the time. Still proud of my time frame.

we had a 22 year old ex wrestler who got promoted in 3 months to blue. But he was also a natural.

Back