how long did it take you to get from White to Blue belt?

Two and a half years of serious BJJ, with a year or so of goofing around with sub wrestling and six years background in wrestling. So basically, nine years.

Just curious as to how long it took you guys to go from a White belt to Blue?

Sounds like you just want to gauge how long on average it takes people/sherdoggers to get promoted. Here's a link with some more replies.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/how-long-blue-belt-bjj-344278/

A thread like this has popped up a couple times I believe, you might be able to find others.

For me, just under a year. Turned down the belt once at 8/9 months.

It really depends on who your Teacher is and how much work you put into advancing in your Brazilian jiu jitsu. Some people can get it in a year and a half, Most get it in 2 years and rare can actually get their belt in under 6 months or a year.

Roughly 2 years or so. Not really competing with the Gi or for the school. More individual. They discouraged No Gi competition. Probably 4 classes a week on an average week. 2 at the least and sometimes 8 if there was no school or work.

I attended a small school then. Maybe 25 or so white belts, like 10 or so blues, 3 purple, 1 brown and 1 black belt instructor. None of the blue belts had been promoted in less than 2 years from walking in the door. My understanding is that the purple belt had been training under our instructor for about 4 years privately.

It's hard to get rank in that school, but you really do earn it.

I think its tempting to fall into the trap of wanting to get your blue belt now. The way i look at it is, as soon as I get that blue belt, Im expected to be able to hold my own against other blue belts, and until I can do that, im not even going to think about wrapping that belt around my waist.

I went into a comp 3 weeks into grappling training, I was so happy when I came in last, it was one of the greatest experiances in my life.

At the rate im going im hoping to get blue 16 from starting my training.

8 months, 5-6 training sessions per week max, 3-4 per week min.

started sitting in on the advanced class at 4 months of training.

I've seen competition help in two ways.

1. Instructors notice competition participation and victories. Being noticed helps with promotion. I compete as much as I can. Even still, I think that instructors put too much emphasis on competing, but there you go.

2. There is really a lot to be learned from competing, because it shows you strengths and weaknesses. I tape my competitions and pick the videos apart with other people I train with. We then work specifically on the areas that I was weakest in.

Funny how Saulo Ribiero says that competition does not show your BJJ skill, and should not be used to judge a persons level or readiness for their next belt, but for so many schools it is a very strong factor.

I agree with point two 100%.

Funny how Saulo Ribiero says that competition does not show your BJJ skill, and should not be used to judge a persons level or readiness for their next belt, but for so many schools it is a very strong factor.

I agree with point two 100%.

Yes, I've read that as well. It makes sense. Competition, while showing BJJ skill, also weighs other skills, such as athleticism and handling pressure.

While these are admirable things to have in life, I don't think they tell the full tale of your jiu jitsu.

As Saulo says, it's only a small window into what someone really knows.

Back