How long did it take for you to get foot work down?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Staring At Fate, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Staring At Fate

Staring At Fate Refuse To Lose.

Footwork is my biggest problem right now and its something I know I'm going to be working on in the coming months. Just wondering how many of you have footwork down or are currently having trouble with it.

2. joedogghaze

joedogghaze Purple Belt

You must be white, white people have horrible footwork and can't dance, i speak from experience on both fronts.....

3. Da Speeit

Da Speeit CANCEROUS POSTER Platinum Member

In bed with your bitch, watching game of thrones,
    Well, im HALF white, so it took me about 2 years.

i still need to work on cicling to my left a little bit.

4. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Silver Belt

I boxed for 3 months. In that time I got basic footwork down pretty well. Moving in and out came naturally to me and it took about two months for circling to my left instead of my right to become natural for me. I still have trouble moving in on anything other than a jab. It impresses the shit out of me when you see people like Naseem Hamed who can come in on a huge hook and land it perfectly.

My problems in striking are probably things you don't struggle with as much. It took me FOREVER to learn keep my head up while bobbing and weaving. I also get yelled at for having my stance too open a lot. I had to get in my stance and get wrapped up in bungee cords to teach me to keep my right elbow in (I have an orthodox stance). My problems are more with my stance. Movement came pretty naturally to me.

BTW, I'm white AND I can dance.. Fuckers.

5. Jesus X

Jesus X Gold Belt

same as blaney 3 months at P.A.L as a kid and relearned it at 18 with DG boxing in Long beach,ca ya boi iz fast yo

6. Jesus X

Jesus X Gold Belt

I had to get rid of the habit of crossing my feet and I learned good balance, my new gym azteca boxing taught me good generalship of the ring,I can box anywhere in the ring now and few comfortable.

7. Jesus X

Jesus X Gold Belt

I have size 9.5-10 feet so that makes it easier for me too,my feet aren't big.

8. 663

663 White Belt

some people pick up foot work faster then others. if you dont have a solid stance then any foot work would be useless to you. its is hard work but well worth it when wanting to change angles on a fighter.

9. Canned Tuna

Canned Tuna Silver Belt

Yeah, I learned not to cross my feet in wrestling. I actually think wrestling helped a lot with footwork in general, even though the stances are completely different. You learn to circle and to be light on your feet in wrestling. It also helps your balance a lot.

10. lukewall

lukewall Green Belt

The first 10 years is tough. After the first decade, you really start to learn how to dictate range with your feet and to implement pivots, sidesteps, halfsteps, and turning your opponents at the proper times.

The fundamentals of having a good balanced stance and being able to move in 4 directions doesn't take long to learn. It's the subtle nuances of footwork that take a long time to master.

11. barnowl

barnowl Green Belt

Foot work is one of those area's you quite finish getting down. You just keep getting better at it.