how long before you started tapping people

Seriously, if you are a white belt and you are getting tapped, who gives a sh*t? You're supposed to suck and you are all just learning, so who cares if you get tapped. There is less ego involved at the white belt level, and that facilitates learning free of the pressure of ego... which holds lot of guys back once they get the upper belts. It's tough to have to be better than all of the lower belts, and one doesn't generally want to be beaten by lower belts. THat adds another impediment to learning for many, and some quit because they don't want the pressure of beating people. Others manage to work through or around that pressure.

I have not, however. That is a mental discipline I've not mastered.

I still only regularly tap the newer guys, but thats a lot due to my passive nature (I have to work on aggression...) and my enormous size disadvantage.

i tapped another whitebelt first class, so what. but now i don't bother about going for the sub unless it's given to me. i find it way more satisfying to sweep someone than to tap them out.

if i dominate and tap someone i don't really learn anything from it

if i get owned then i can realise mistakes i made and things i need to improve

It will come only when you have a good positional game, if you can tap anyone without position then they aren't worth tapping.

Dont worry about tapping people. YOu need to learn how to dominate positions first, then the submissions will eventually come.

Been doing no-gi sub wrestling for about 4 weeks now - only tapped-out one kid about half my age and half my weight.

It feels like 5 steps forward, 1 step back sometimes. Keeping a positive attitude.

few classes

but it's judo, so not exactly the same thing and I knew a few submissions before I started and how to set them up from the backyard grappling I had done. :)

Alright, heres the deal. I was in your shoes at one point. I actually made a thread similar to this a few weeks after I started class because I was getting tapped all the time, and I thought that I was really shitty and that it wasn't normal, because there weren't really any guys that joined at the same time I did. I had maybe gotten 1 or 2 taps within my first month. Then my second month I was gradually getting more taps. Then after about 2 1/2 to 3 months into it some new guys showed up, and man it was easy. 45 seconds I'd tap them, and then i'd tell them what they did wrong. This is when i realized it is normal to suck at first, because I was tapping them out just as fast as I was getting tapped out during my first few weeks. And most new guys are like this, with the exception of guys that are either really strong, have wrestling background, or just have a natural talent for BJJ. The only suggestions I can really give you are to go to class as often as possible, ask what you did wrong, and don't get frustrated, although it is very easy to get pissed off at first. And next, once you get some new guys in there that you can beat, I suggest not rolling with them all the time. It helps your confidence when you start beating them, but it's going with the advanced white belts and blue belts that consistently beat you that makes you better. I've been doing it for about 4 months and I still get worked by all of the blue belts in there.

l learned a few things when l started 1 year ago. Watch your elbows, tuck your chin in and most important a good cardio is so superior anything else. The fact that u wont gas out when u muscle yourself out of bad positions without much technique in it. By time you will improve your positioning escaping skills and with a great cardio u can go on all day long with lesser and lesser force to establish control. If possible train with higher belt rank guys, u learn more that way.

beatnick said:
l learned a few things when l started 1 year ago. Watch your elbows, tuck your chin in and most important a good cardio is so superior anything else. The fact that u wont gas out when u muscle yourself out of bad positions without much technique in it. By time you will improve your positioning escaping skills and with a great cardio u can go on all day long with lesser and lesser force to establish control. If possible train with higher belt rank guys, u learn more that way.
Great post man..............I agree with everyone cross training different styles, conditioning to gonna be key.

asking how long before you started tapping people? is really asking the wrong question. the real question is when did BJJ start feeling comfortable. any newbs can start tapping other newbs on day one. what matters is when you actually feel like you are in control and your don't feel awkward while learning new moves, drilling or rolling. you may never be competative with some of the people that were wearing blue blets, or higher, when you first walked in the door.

DirectDrive said:
asking how long before you started tapping people? is really asking the wrong question. the real question is when did BJJ start feeling comfortable. any newbs can start tapping other newbs on day one. what matters is when you actually feel like you are in control and your don't feel awkward while learning new moves, drilling or rolling. you may never be competative with some of the people that were wearing blue blets, or higher, when you first walked in the door.

The best answer in this thread thus far. This is the frame of mind that will make you a better grappler.

Mehl said:
The best answer in this thread thus far. This is the frame of mind that will make you a better grappler.

thank you Mehl. i am humbled.

I can't remember, but it didn't take long. The only thing worse than never being able to tap somebody out is seeing somebody you used to be able to tap out all of a sudden blossom into a JJ natural and start tapping the cr@p out of you!

I still have problems passing the guard. For me, I'd rather improve my position before I think about submissions. I've only been in BJJ for a little over a month and I'm the only new student so I'm still waiting for a newer student.

WEll i have only been at it 2 weeks now and although i have a sizeable weight advantage I only have one clean submission (technical verses just using my huge weight and strenght advantage) and very few total. I am however making large improvements on the controlling positions and passing the gaurd since i spend most of my time on top but when i get on my back i am in a wolrd of trouble.

All told im working hard and studing at home to try to improve my work from the back and someday will start getting multiple submissions a night :p

Back