1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

How long before the next Conor level star comes to the UFC?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by PlasticFishBowl, Jun 23, 2021.

1. PlasticFishBowl Blue Belt

Conor has been (and remains) the biggest name in the game for about 5 years now. I would say no one else has come close to his level. The second best was probably Ronda at her peak casual popularity tbh and then Brock.

How long do you think it will be before someone as popular as Conor comes along? Someone who can sell 1 million+ ppvs even when they fight a washed bum like Cowboy.

WildBoyDan likes this.
  2. Mr.Maelstrom Random Flex Belt

3 years and 50 days

3. pamirec Black Belt

Fixed.

4. DS66 Brown Belt

Could be awhile. The stars just aligned so perfectly in order for Conor the superstar to be born. Everything had to work out perfectly, and it did.

Also I think Dana learned his lesson with respect to letting a guy become bigger than the UFC brand, thereby giving up all of the negotiating power to that star. I don't think Dana wants to let that happen again.

Eventually the stars probably will align again and another superstar of the sport will emerge, but I have a feeling it won't be for awhile.

Fergelmince likes this.
  5. jsbx45 Black Belt

I know exactly how long this is going to take, but I'm not saying so I can make some Conor $$$ on it. Stay tuned.

6. TARTARA KURZHAAR

Khamzat his next fight !

7. TheMessiah Black Belt

James Gallagher if he comes to the UFC. Conor 2.0!

8. ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

Conor JR in 15 years time

9. ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

CM Punk Part Deux

10. Gamer007 Black Belt

50 years or more, Conor got the Mayweather rub and then went on to sell 2.4mil buys against the future GOAT LW who many people felt was a terrible matchup for him, not only was this Khabib guy the future LW GOAT but he was also undefeated and had support from large parts of the eastern world.

Mayweather, the biggest PPV wizard of all time
    Mcgregor, the biggest star in MMA history by a MILE
    Khabib, just the greatest LW of all time with an undefeated record and at the peak of his powers, top 20 fighter ever.
    Jose Aldo, GOAT FW and living legend brought down in 13 seconds, flipping the entire MMA world upside down.
    Nate Diaz, the ultimate anti-establishment star for the hardcores who started his career during the height of TUF. Basically the ultimate nemesis for Mcgregor.
    Then you have other guys like De la hoya who helped Mayweather become the star he was, with a top 5 PPV in the history of combat sports.

These guys were all a huge part of the Mcgregor story and success, you won't get this mix of talent, revenue, and star power for atleast the next 50 years, maybe ever.

That's not even mentioning how great Aldo was and how defeating him helped catapult Conor to the moon, so you'll likely need another GOAT contender somewhere in the story.

This new person would not only have to be a huge PPV attraction himself, he'll need multiple top 5-20 all time great fighters to overcome, plus a cult favorite like Nate Diaz in there. Then he'll need to remain undefeated for a long portion of his career and hope for some kind of crossover madness with another GOAT tier PPV star, because you aren't approaching 2mil buys without some kind of luck, you'd need someone like Mayweather who's had bigger fights than you to join the fray. So Conor or Canelo would have to come out of retirement to fight this guy.

Even guys like Izzy who had a name before MMA, is super flashy, has great charisma, came into MMA blazing hot, with an undefeated record all the way to the title, even he isn't anywhere near this equation. We witnessed a weird time in history, I don't think this is happening again. In fact I'd go as far as it never happening in the lifetime of anyone on this forum, because if legends like Jones and DC can't even approach the numbers needed, it doesn't seem possible.

Maybe if the UFC goes back to open weight competition so more stars can enter the fray, some avengers shit. Because Khabib, Conor, Mayweather, Aldo, Diaz, these guys aren't all going to be replaced all at the same time, realistically they may never be replaced with an equivalent. I mean what are the chances of a cult star like Diaz? A tuf OG who fought alongside his well known BROTHER IN THE SAME ORGANIZATION! A guy who had already fought for a world title and built his name up, a guy who was an absolute bad ass. That's not even mentioning the other 4 who are either GOAT tiers fighters or GOAT tier stars, or both. Then you have to factor the calcification of wealth world wide, and how that will effect PPV buy rates into the future, in consort with modern piracy and technology.

The story and recipe had to be so perfect for MMA to reach that 2.4mil mark, then you have to include that none of these guys suffered major injuries during these moments, then you have to factor guys like RDA who got injured and never got to stop the absolute avalanche of hype that was Conor Mcgregor at the time. If that cocky undisciplined version of Conor got smashed by RDA, he would've never gotten the Mayweather fight, everything had to go perfect.

Then even if you find someone who has immense star power they not only have to be a great fighter and get lucky with matchups and injuries, they also have to speak fluent english to even sniff the 1mil+ buy range, let alone 2mil+ so that shrinks things even further.

Naw this isn't happening again, the Mayweather rub was real, even Conor at his peak couldn't do anything close to 2mil until Mayweather joined in. Enjoy the big moments we have now, because we are long overdue for another dark age. Coming to any other conclusion honestly sounds like wishful thinking, look at stars like Tyson who fought in the 80's! It's almost 40 years later and he's still that guy, 3 of the top 10 PPV events EVER!

So we're going to get a star massively bigger than Tyson or Conor? Not plausible especially with millennials having no money to spend on these fights.

Anderson Silva did 1million fighting Chris Weidman, who at the time was a blazing hot undefeated prospect turned contender but far from being well known. We aren't even close to having a singular star who can do numbers like that, let alone in Conor territory.

Usman and Masvidal did great numbers though, so maybe Usman can go on and use that rub for a big 2nd fight with Colby.

Masvidal will never recover from that loss though, the numbers for his next main event(?) will be interesting because he might have to fight a hardly known contender this time around.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  11. fullspar Banned Banned

11th when Doostin retires MookGregor

12. Race Freelie Blue Belt

First, you have to have an entire country of drunken nut guzzlers. Ireland plays that role well. Look for the next star to come from the same place.

Vanderlei likes this.
  13. avenue94 Black Belt

Probably another 5 or 10 years. The UFC has only had one fighter comparable to Conor, and that was Brock, maybe Ronda for a few fights.
    Brock was probably a bigger draw than Ronda and more important in a lot of respects for the UFC. He was certainly paid more than her.

14. Franklin U. Steel Belt

I dont even consider McGregor a goat of the sport but he is the gate goat and the UFC really does need that next ultra personality to come from somewhere- if it does happen, I'm interested to see how wme/ Dana deals with the financial this go around.

Some of these upper tier guys are sitting on a lottery ticket- THEY HAVE TO GO OUT AND MAKE THEIR OWN LUCK cause this company ain't budging on their business model .

15. Koro_11 Gold Belt

Hopefully never is the correct answer. I never want to see the sport held hostage again by some asshole who thinks he’s bigger then the sport itself.

Jeffrey Moore likes this.
  16. gunlok Black Belt

Sean O'Malley is the closest candidate.

17. KingRyan Orange Belt

Was just about to troll the same thing...

gunlok likes this.
  18. avenue94 Black Belt

Woudn't you blame the UFC here? They could have stripped Conor anytime or twisted his arm into fighter, that's on them, not the actual fighter.
    he has potential but very much doubt it. He's very likely not good enough to win a belt and he's a BW. I've also seen little evidence that he can sell PPVs or draw huge gates. If you want to be a combat sports star, you have to be able to win the title. There are very few exceptions to that rule.

19. arcadeperfect Brown Belt

If Izzy keeps defending the title and has some spectacular KOs it would be possible.

20. Dreyga2000 VOTE DREYGA FOR POSTER OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!

He’s already here 70E48B5A-3DE9-4908-9853-A48FB4532FED.jpeg