How long before 1st fight.

VegasFighter**

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Right now I train at LV combat club. Its a well known school (www.lvcombatclub.com)

and I have been training bjj, and a little stand up on the side since June this year. How long should i train before i take my 1st fight? My trainer is Sergio Penha, and he says years. I dont want to wait years...

Any suggestions?

i would wait a lot longer, you've only been training 3-4 months? you have a long long long way to go before you can start competing in mma. my brother is making his pro debut in a few weeks and he has been training for 2.5-3 years i think. if you jump the gun ur gonna get ktfo.

imo, you should wait a bit longer.

btw, which LVCC do you go to? valley view or the durango one. im planning to go for a free class next time I go to Vegas.

wait a little longer man.
A few months are not enough in my opinion.
1.5-3 years would be my suggestion.
That Depends on the person also

It ALL depends on how good you are. How fast you are learning and if you FEEL ready. But you should definetely wait longer than a couple of months. No matter what. Better to be "too good" than too bad.
Listen to your trainer. That's why he is your instructor isn't it? To instruct you? ;)

I think it depends how badly you want to get your ass kicked.

You should respect your instructor's opinion. He's looking out for you and the reputation of the club by holding you back.

1 year minimum where I train. That is the ABSOLUTE minimum.

VegasFighter said:
Right now I train at LV combat club. Its a well known school (www.lvcombatclub.com)

and I have been training bjj, and a little stand up on the side since June this year. How long should i train before i take my 1st fight? My trainer is Sergio Penha, and he says years. I dont want to wait years...

Any suggestions?
Yuor trainer will know whether or not your ready a lot better than random people on an internet forum, who've never met you. If he feels that your not ready then I'd listen to him, but then again its you that'll get ktfo if you step up without the skill to handle the fight so I guess its up to you really.

I would say 8 months - year for you first Amature fight, and then mabey a year-2 after that to make your pro debut.

phenomfan1529 said:
imo, you should wait a bit longer.

btw, which LVCC do you go to? valley view or the durango one. im planning to go for a free class next time I go to Vegas.

Valley View is the better school for BJJ. The durango school is more for the muay thai

You need striking in MMA. Don't go there unless you feel comfortable standing up. You'd only get yourself kayod.

I say, go into a full contact fight if you rrly want to get into the ring. This will test to see if your striking is rrly that good. After a few of these, then train for a mma event.

at Team-ROC where i train, they wont let you fight until you've been on the mat for like 2.5 years generally. then again they have a team record of like 65-4.

you need to have a dominant ground game (bjj blue+++) and striking game before you get in the ring/cage/etc or you're going to be made into an ass or get hurt. this takes 2+ years unless you're some phenom.

VegasFighter said:
Valley View is the better school for BJJ. The durango school is more for the muay thai
You're asking us to override your instructor's decision?

VegasFighter said:

Any suggestions?

i'm not even going to read through the responses before i weigh in with my own. therefore if my opinion matches one already given you'll know why. so your trainer who works with you at the very least once a week says to wait and it will take a lot longer than you wanted it to take. your answer to his advice is to come onto the internerd and ask people who have most likely, if not definitely, never trained with you or even seen you train when you should fight. this is right up there with the posts "i fell while trying a the new flying anaconda twister i read about and fell on my arm. it hurts when i move it like this, do you think it's serious?".

listen to your trainers or find new ones until they answer questions with the answers you like.

Back