How Judging Actually Works In MMA

It’s almost impossible to remove the subjectivity when judging is involved.
This is a very good point. I do feel like if more judges had martial art backgrounds or at least some amateur combat experience it would help take away some of the subjectivity. How do you know how bad a guy is hurt by a punch if you've never been punched in the head ?

I know it is not 100% needed to have been in a fight to judge a fight but would you want to learn a physical skill or trade from some one with a purely academic background or from some one with years of experience and academic knowledge as well.....I sure as hell know who I want to learn from.....just my two cents

What’s the difference between significant strikes and effective striking?

It’s almost impossible to remove the subjectivity when judging is involved.

That's why I always say: better be carried by two than be judged by three.

fight metric should change it's stat to "Number of effective strikes" for MMA fans.

Effective strikes are more subjective than significant strikes, and varying levels of how effective since they take more into account than just landing the strike. Just like MMAth won't tell you who's going to win a fight going in, fight statistics aren't going to necessarily tell you who won or lost the fight.

For some reason, people seem to post fight metrics and think fights are scored by "significant strikes", when those aren't in the rules at all. This has come up in the past, and was noticeable again today with the DJ fight with people thinking he won by posting fight metric stats.

Here are the actual judging rules of MMA: http://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/juding_criteriascoring_rev0816.pdf
They can't even spell the name of the document correctly?

"Juding" cirteria?! How am I meant to believe that shit is legit?

It should be really about the visible effect of striking and momentum, so that warrior spirit gets judged too. No one should say someone who ends up scared and visibly shaken should win.

It is the same issue in Yoel vs Whittaker2 round 4. Yoel never looked shaken or significantly effected by the oblique kicks and striking, bit instead delivered two blows at the end of the round that had an immense impact and got Whittaker backing up. Ending on top standing in the round should also count as it counts in having top grappling position at the end of the round. Whittaker even himself immediatly said he was in survival mode 4th and 5th when Joe asked him how hurt he was.

For some reason, people seem to post fight metrics and think fights are scored by "significant strikes", when those aren't in the rules at all. This has come up in the past, and was noticeable again today with the DJ fight with people thinking he won by posting fight metric stats.

Here are the actual judging rules of MMA: http://www.abcboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/juding_criteriascoring_rev0816.pdf

Top and bottom position fighters are assessed more on the impactful/effective result of their actions, more so than their position. This criterion will be the deciding factor in a high majority of decisions when scoring a round. The next two criteria must be treated as a backup and used ONLY when Effective Striking/Grappling is 100% equal for the round.

You should read your own link. Getting out struck and then laying on a guy for 2 mins doesn't award you much. So it comes down to whether or not you think a take down by itself is worth more than the advantage DJ had in the striking, since Cejudo did no damage from top.

Last edited:
This is a very good point. I do feel like if more judges had martial art backgrounds or at least some amateur combat experience it would help take away some of the subjectivity. How do you know how bad a guy is hurt by a punch if you've never been punched in the head ?

I know it is not 100% needed to have been in a fight to judge a fight but would you want to learn a physical skill or trade from some one with a purely academic background or from some one with years of experience and academic knowledge as well.....I sure as hell know who I want to learn from.....just my two cents

Reminds me of Shogun Lyoto, when Cecil said Lyoto was "making him (Shogun) walk forward" and therefore awarded him the round based off of octagon control, despite Lyoto getting pieced up with leg kicks.

A fight should be a fight and damage (real significant strikes) should be top priority when applying scoring criteria.

Everything else is pure subjectivity and takes away from the real purpose of a fight.

People who want a truly clean and transparent sport know this.

I agree to a point, if Bisping vs Henderson II was a fight between two guys in a school yard, and you asked the kids who won the fight, it would be Henderson all day long.

The problem is that some people cut and bleed off a small breeze, so it could be misinterpreted when you have someone like Anderson, who took 24 minutes of punches from Sonnen and looked normal.

You should read your own link. Getting out struck and then laying on a guy for 2 mins doesn't award you much. So it comes down to whether or not you think a take down by itself is worth more than the advantage DJ had in the striking, since Cejudo did no damage from top.

Maybe you should actually read my comments. When did I say I was making this to prove who won the fight? Or even that I thought the decision was correct?

A fight should be a fight and damage (real significant strikes) should be top priority when applying scoring criteria.

Everything else is pure subjectivity and takes away from the real purpose of a fight.

People who want a truly clean and transparent sport know this.

Damage and aggression, trying to finish the fight should be valued over trying to restrain your opponent.

The problem with judging is takedowns.

Too often a takedown is scored way too high.

Judging is just subjective in combats sports... each one has their own way to score the round. We need a new breed that has MMA knowledge... Not these Cecil Peoples bums.

Reminds me of Shogun Lyoto, when Cecil said Lyoto was "making him (Shogun) walk forward" and therefore awarded him the round based off of octagon control, despite Lyoto getting pieced up with leg kicks.
Good example octagon control can be a complete farce at times. It misconstrues who is winning the fight.

I used to spar a guy who I outweighed by a good 15 pounds , was a legit Japanese ju jitsu BB and who regularly spared with huge 2nd degree shotokan Canada wide ranked karate guys.

If you watch video of us spar I am going had landing hard body shots and solid jabs but I couldn't land anything else because I was too aggressive. I lookled like I was in control but I was getting peiced the Fook up lol

Anyways long as story short if haven't had that happen to you it's easy to think the guy throwing bombs moving forward is winning.

Stop acting like the judges are consistent or competent.
I’m sure there are many decisions you dispute. You gonna quote judging rules for those fights too?

Stop acting like the judges are consistent or competent.
I’m sure there are many decisions you dispute. You gonna quote judging rules for those fights too?

Do you not read or something? Where exactly did I say that I agreed with the decision? I just said people didn't know how judging works and thinking that those stats have nothing to do with it. Try paying attention.

Do you not read or something? Where exactly did I say that I agreed with the decision? I just said people didn't know how judging works and thinking that those stats have nothing to do with it. Try paying attention.

No, judging doesn’t just “work.
That’s what you’re not understanding.

No, judging doesn’t just “work.
That’s what you’re not understanding.

Riiight. You should just admit you were an being ass, and that now you're just trying to move the target around. Once again, where did I say the judging always works? There's no way you can shift this into you being in the right about your post.

Back